Ataxia sufferer gets kicked out of pub.

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

Ataxia sufferer gets kicked out of pub.

Postby k9ruby » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:11 pm

Has anyone had any experiences of this yet?

Matty and Katie Thompson

Cerebral palsy sufferer Matty Thompson was with his sister Katie when he was allegedly refused entry to a pub because bouncers mistook his disability for drunkenness

A cerebral palsy sufferer claims he was refused entry to a pub and verbally abused when bouncers mistook his disability for drunkenness.

Matty Thompson, 18, was enjoying a night out in Whitley Bay, County Durham, with his sister and friends when a doorman allegedly barred him from entering Breeze because of the way he was walking.

When his sister Katie, 20, objected to the bouncer's complaint that 'He can't walk, he's drunk', the teenager was apparently asked to produce a medical card as proof of his disability.

Due to his condition, Mr Thompson has problems keeping his balance and suffers from shaky hand movements.

His mother Jenette Thompson said: 'I'm absolutely outraged. They just can't treat people with disabilities and learning difficulties like that and call him names.

'He was very upset about it. He told me he was called names. It's sheer ignorance on their part.'

Mr Thompson said he had only had a couple of pints by the time he arrived at Breeze.

He said that because of the way he was walking, bouncers there immediately refused him entry.

'My daughter said: "He's got cerebral palsy,"' claimed Mrs Thompson. 'And the bouncer said: "I don't believe that. I want a medical card."

'Katie said: "That's the way he usually walks."'

Mr Thompson said one of the bouncers then got on his radio to tell other nearby pubs not to let him in.

She said her son has been 'upset and very withdrawn' since the incident.

Newcastle United fan Mr Thompson, who attends a residential Mencap college in Dilston, Northumberland, recently got picked to play football for England on behalf of Mencap.

He suffers from a form of cerebral palsy called ataxia, which causes balance problems, shaky hand movements and irregular speech.

A spokesman for Scope, the national disability charity which focuses on cerebal palsy, said: 'A disabled person should not be denied access to any premises or facilities because they are disabled.

'Disabled people have the same right to go into pubs and clubs as anyone else.

'More needs to be done to get the public, and especially those who work in customer service, to truly understand and appreciate difference so that discrimination against disabled people becomes a thing of the past.'

A spokesman for Dukedom Leisure, which owns Breeze, had no comment.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Re: Ataxia sufferer gets kicked out of pub.

Postby parnassus » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:40 pm

It happened to me at the Rat and Parrot pub in Cambridge. Cambridge Volunteers in Nepal had chosen to hold a meeting there for all the new volunteers, and I had to go. It was the first and only time I set foot in a pub in Cambridge. The bouncer asked for my ID, which I gave to him. Then he motioned me in. I saw the other CVN people in the far corner and started towards them. I hadn't got halfway there before the bouncer was after me, asking me to leave. I told him that I had co-ordination problems, and he seemed to believe me, but his colleague was very suspicious. In the end the CVN leader said that we would all go to Nando's instead, which I was very glad about - I would much rather gorge on chicken than drink alcohol anyway.

Newcastle United fan Mr Thompson, who attends a residential Mencap college in Dilston, Northumberland, recently got picked to play football for England on behalf of Mencap.

Dilston College is where I work. I know this student slightly - he has the biggest appetite of anyone I've ever met! Unfortunately this sort of thing happens on a fairly regular basis - part of my job application involved writing a letter of complaint to a pub landlord whose bar staff had refused to serve a student. It wasn't a real scenario, but it was based on things that had actually happened in the past.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby madame_tigre » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:01 pm

This is disgusting. The pub doesn't even have the decency to comment. When oh when are people going to become more accepting?
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Alice » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:42 pm

They should do what we do in my house. If you can't intergrate your tipsy, if you can't differentiate your drunk, if you shout "Yay, pie! I wan't some pie!" when asked to find the area of a circle you've had enough.

Seriously though, if the guy wasn't showing any other indicators of being drunk then they didn't have a reason to disbelive him. I wish pepole would just accept that some pepole have dissabilities, and shouldn't be inconvenienced by them more than they allready are.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:02 am

Bouncers and bar staff go through hundreds of people during busy periods and so have to make sure that people dont start trouble. Not to say this person would have but someone whos way pass there limit is ussually asked to leave. It probably wasnt a matter of them not understanding but them doing there job and making sure the other customers are kept safe and happy.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:21 pm

The point is that he wasn't drunk though. He simply had a drunk looking gait due to cerebral palsy, something that many people in this country share with him. I can appreciate they may have thought he was drunk but they really shouldn't have pushed the issue when he told them he was disabled.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby k9ruby » Sat May 02, 2009 6:06 pm

Makes me wonder whether carrying something with me might be a good idea. Not that I'm a alchoholic or anything!

I can appreciate his point of view if alchohol was on his breath - in all fairness lots of people would put 2 +2 together and make the wrong assumption. Not saying its right though!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Return to News and Current Events