Diet Pill

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

Diet Pill

Postby Creative » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:34 am

What do you think? Is it a good idea? I think you should try eating healthier and exercising more before trying the pill. I think it should only be used if you have tried other methods first.
Creative
Forum God !

Re: Diet Pill

Postby Steph » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:48 am

Personally I don't agree with it at all. I have heard horrible stories about people getting it off the Internet and overdosing, leading to their death. If people are determined to use it, then it should be done only as a last resort.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:17 pm

Steph- this pill is safer than those mysterious internet pills (which are rarely what the packet says they are anyway.) This will be dispensed in pharmacies and people will know what they're getting. It is safe.

It works by stopping your body absorbing fat. However, you have to be on quite a low-fat diet anyway, or it will have very unpleasant side-effects.

Basically, it doesn't work by itself. It just makes you lose weight faster if you're already on a diet.

The biggest danger is that anorexics could get hold of it and it could make the effects of their self-starvation worse. However, it will only be given to people with a BMI of 28 or higher, so the only way an anorexic person could get some is by stealing someone else's.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:33 pm

Oh right-my mistake-I assumed they were one and the same.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:49 pm

Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:18 am

Steph wrote:Personally I don't agree with it at all. I have heard horrible stories about people getting it off the Internet and overdosing, leading to their death. If people are determined to use it, then it should be done only as a last resort.

There are lots of different diet pills available, and the ones that you buy off the Internet are rarely what they claim to be, as Esther has said. This one only works as part of a low-fat diet. It aims to prevent the absorption of fat from the foods you eat. Personally I think that this is just pandering to people's fear of fat, as a low-fat diet is not necessarily a healthy diet. In eating disorder clinics the word 'fats' is often replaced by 'satiaties' as a way of helping patients to grasp that you need fats to feel full, you need fats to provide you with all the right nutrients. Most members of the non-eating disordered population do not appear to understand this.

This pill is available over-the-counter in America, and it does get abused, particularly by bulimic patients. (As a general rule they are more likely to abuse diet products than anorectics.) But as it is to be reserved only for people with a high BMI in this country, that should eliminate some of the risk.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pilljame » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:57 pm

Yes it doesn't work by itself. It just makes you lose weight faster if you're already on a diet...

Postby Dan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:01 pm

I know the dodgy kind of diet pills are what we call speed. Or at least I THINK so.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby sweetkitty » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:43 pm

Ive never heard positive reviews for diet pills : !
sweetkitty

Postby Alice » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:49 pm

Dan wrote:I know the dodgy kind of diet pills are what we call speed. Or at least I THINK so.

Not really. Most of them just have things like kidney bean extract in them to make you have too much stomach pain to eat.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:06 am

Alice wrote:
Dan wrote:I know the dodgy kind of diet pills are what we call speed. Or at least I THINK so.

Not really. Most of them just have things like kidney bean extract in them to make you have too much stomach pain to eat.

What do you mean? Speed increases your metabolism so you don't get fat. They don't make your stomach hurt...
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:46 am

I think Alice was talking about the fake diet pills that can be found online, not speed.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby satine22 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:48 pm

Im a boots sales assistant and we sell ALli which is the new diet pill which is ment to be amazing but lets put it this way no one ever buys a second packet because its erm a laxative effect takes hold and that how the weight is lost. yeah its not too good.
satine22

Postby Remus » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:13 am

That sounds so horrible, I don't know how anyone can take pills like that.
Remus
Site Admin

Return to News and Current Events