Swine flu

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

Swine flu

Postby Lady Macbeth » Mon May 11, 2009 4:25 pm

Cause for terror or a lot of hype?
Lady Macbeth
Advanced Member

Re: Swine flu

Postby Brian » Mon May 11, 2009 9:13 pm

100% hype, it is just in the news to got people to talk less about the recession and what a s**t job the governments have done.
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby Alice » Tue May 12, 2009 2:21 pm

Highly contagious, but extremely non fatal. I think it's actually less dangerous than the common cold. The hype is not entirely the fault of the media for once. The contagousness of the disease means that it could cause the country to grind to a halt for a week or so while 30% or more of the population is ill, so it really is a good idea to keep it under control. Also, the world health organisation has declared a pandemic to be iminent. My Dad thinks they're using it as a practice run for all the pandemic mechanisms, which I'm inclined to agree with.

The only real threat to a significant number of pepoles lives is if someone gets swine flu and bird flu. Bird flu is very deadly but hard to catch, swine flu is not dangerous but easily passes bettween pepole. Viruses are good at hybridising, so it's important not to let the two viruses exist near each other. I don't understand the technical stuff too well myself but my dad said there's never been an H5 flu pandemic, but if swine flu and bird fly hybridised then we might end up with one.

As it currently stands, we don't need to worry. But it is importand to keep it from spreading to areas which have bird flu (which by the way is still out there, but the media got bored of it since it's still hard to pass to humans)
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Tue May 12, 2009 2:47 pm

There is a lot of anxiety about it where I work because a lot of the students have compromised immune systems due to the extremely strong anti epileptic drugs they are on. The autistic student on my house insists that he has "swan flu" and keeps saying, "I don't want to give you swan flu!" I love these kids!
Steph
Forum God !

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Mon May 18, 2009 9:54 pm

Alice wrote:The only real threat to a significant number of pepoles lives is if someone gets swine flu and bird flu.

What about the people who have died? i don't think they all had swine flu and bird flu. The reason it's a threat is because it was a new strain that no-one has immunity to, and can travel from person to person. I know for a fact that the NHS were stocking up on things.

Alice wrote:Highly contagious, but extremely non fatal. I think it's actually less dangerous than the common cold.
It's not. Doctors neither treat nor vaccinate against the common cold, but they do treat flu. Seasonal flu (as in flu that's has been around for a while), can be deadly - which is why they vaccinate athsmatics, and the elderly against the five most deadly strains each year. I think toddlers, and maybe some other groups, are also vulnerable. The problem is, thay don't have a vaccine against this strain of swine flu, as far as I'm awear, making it more deadly. But ordinary antiflu drugs seem to be working.

It is not all hype - the government wouldn't send out leaflets over hype.
However, I think most of it is a lot of hype. But this needn't be a bad thing - making people awear of it may be a big factor in preventing a pandemic which may or may not otherwise occure, so the chance of one happening now are minimal.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby jaisely » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:26 am

Is Swine Flu a political conspiracy to distract from other world problems and make us buy shots?
Just wondering because it has been said that the whole swine flu thing is just a media hype to distract us all from taxes, global warming and all the other problems our little world seems to have these days. I know people have died and that's bad but is it as serious as the media are claiming or are we just panicking over something fairly mild?
Last edited by jaisely on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaisely

Postby Dan » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:51 pm

chocolatefudgecake wrote:
Alice wrote:The only real threat to a significant number of pepoles lives is if someone gets swine flu and bird flu.

What about the people who have died? i don't think they all had swine flu and bird flu. The reason it's a threat is because it was a new strain that no-one has immunity to, and can travel from person to person. I know for a fact that the NHS were stocking up on things.

Alice wrote:Highly contagious, but extremely non fatal. I think it's actually less dangerous than the common cold.
It's not. Doctors neither treat nor vaccinate against the common cold, but they do treat flu. Seasonal flu (as in flu that's has been around for a while), can be deadly - which is why they vaccinate athsmatics, and the elderly against the five most deadly strains each year. I think toddlers, and maybe some other groups, are also vulnerable. The problem is, thay don't have a vaccine against this strain of swine flu, as far as I'm awear, making it more deadly. But ordinary antiflu drugs seem to be working.

It is not all hype - the government wouldn't send out leaflets over hype.
However, I think most of it is a lot of hype. But this needn't be a bad thing - making people awear of it may be a big factor in preventing a pandemic which may or may not otherwise occure, so the chance of one happening now are minimal.

I agree. I agree with Alice also though. By the way, no one with Swine flu has had bird flu. The deaths due to swine flu have been because of underlying medical conditions.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Remus » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:44 pm

I've heard there is more chance of dying of the normal flu than swine flu.

What really pisses me off though with swine flu is with certain countries exterminating pigs. In Egypt, they slaughtered roughly around 300,000 pigs which is just totally barbaric beyond measure. I personally hope the entire country goes down with it, serves them right! :evil: The thing is the World Health Organization believe the pigs cannot transmit the virus anyway so it does not good whatsoever. In Canada, it was the other way around and a farm worker passed it onto a herd of pigs.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby k9ruby » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:25 pm

The people who have died of swine flu have becuase:

A) They live in mexico and have very poor sanitation/water/housing

B) They have a very compromised immune system already

C) They have got either very severe chronic astma or diabetes.

I DON'T KNOW OF ANYONE WHO WAS HEALTHY WHO HAS DIED.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Lady Macbeth » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:24 pm

I agree with you all, it's hype. And even if it wasn't, stressing about it will eventually raise your blood pressure, compromise your immune system and make you more likely to get it. S'there! :P
Lady Macbeth
Advanced Member

Postby HairyLemon » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:21 am

One of the teachers at my school has been diagnosed with swine flu and apparently a few kids in the younger years have got it aswell. The problem now is that whenever sombody sneezes or is absent people go "they've got swine flu". I don't think its particulary deadly but it could cause a problem if nearly everyone gets ill.
Imagination is more important than knowledge
HairyLemon
Mega Poster

Postby Dan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:54 am

It has started to kill healthy people now so it's no longer just a worry for people with underlying medical conditions.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Alice » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:06 pm

Define healthy. I still haven't heard of anyone they where sure had no underlying health problems dying. There have been some pepole they wheren't sure about, but mostly they've turned out to have something wrong with their health.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Creative » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:15 pm

What was wrong with the little girl who died?

My parents, friends son had swine flu and he's fine.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Dan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:26 pm

Alice wrote:Define healthy. I still haven't heard of anyone they where sure had no underlying health problems dying. There have been some pepole they wheren't sure about, but mostly they've turned out to have something wrong with their health.

There's been a fair few cases of average people dying of it now.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Next

Return to News and Current Events