WW2, 70 years

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

WW2, 70 years

Postby vImpaler » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:25 am

Tomorrow (today) it will be the 70th anniversary of the start of WW2 (in Europe). I was wondering if any one knows stories of what their relatives did.
My great-grandfather was a conscript in the Soviet Red Army in 1941. According to official documents he was missing in action but me my relatives think he died in first months of the war (1941). Because he counted missing his wife (my great-grandmother did not get a military pension.
I'll be glad to here from you
vImpaler

Re: WW2, 70 years

Postby druchi » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:29 am

My step granded was one of those who sifted through all the mail to make sure no traces of where soldiers had been operating got to German hands :P

My great great gran was in one of only 3 houses to survive the Clydebank blitz.
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby Dan » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:57 am

vImpaler wrote:Tomorrow (today) it will be the 70th anniversary of the start of WW2 (in Europe). I was wondering if any one knows stories of what their relatives did.
My great-grandfather was a conscript in the Soviet Red Army in 1941. According to official documents he was missing in action but me my relatives think he died in first months of the war (1941). Because he counted missing his wife (my great-grandmother did not get a military pension.
I'll be glad to here from you

That's quite something! The Soviet front was the deadliest front of the war by far. No matter what people say to me, I still hold the belief that the Soviet Union were the ones who ended the war, not the Americans or the British. The Soviet Union was far too plentiful in soldiers to be beaten. I heard that 80% of Soviet males born in 1923 died in WWII. It's a horrific figure and It's a shame your great-grandfather didn't make it. I would be very interested if you ever found out what happened to him though.

I don't have any stories of battlefield service but my Gran's neighbour was hit by a V-1 (doodlebug) and it collapsed their ceiling. She was lucky to survive.

I'm keen to hear any other stories.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Miwa » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:07 pm

My grandmother was a french teenager during the Occupation of France by the Germans. She didn't tell a lot about it since it's still very painful for her to remember this time, and I didn't ask her much questions either because I didn't want to make her cry.
What I know is that she was the eldest child of the family and had to take care of her brothers and sisters. They suffered hunger because of rationing and one day there were nothing to eat and they were so hungry that they had to eat the guinea pig :? .
I remember that even in these days she had tendancies to put aside food and stock a lot because she was still scared of a war and missing food.
Miwa
Super Poster

Postby Dan » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:09 pm

Miwa wrote:My grandmother was a french teenager during the Occupation of France by the Germans. She didn't tell a lot about it since it's still very painful for her to remember this time, and I didn't ask her much questions either because I didn't want to make her cry.
What I know is that she was the eldest child of the family and had to take care of her brothers and sisters. They suffered hunger because of rationing and one day there were nothing to eat and they were so hungry that they had to eat the guinea pig :? .
I remember that even in these days she had tendancies to put aside food and stock a lot because she was still scared of a war and missing food.

Wow, that's also very interesting. I heard that the French people weren't treated too badly by the occupying Germans but it probably wasn't the same for everyone. Having your country occupied and you being stuck there must be very difficult to bear. Some French women married German soldiers after the occupation of France. It's quite sad that they had to be broken up as you must know that German soldiers in general were not Nazis like films try to tell us. A lot of German soldiers were good people just like British and American soldiers. I heard a story where a German pilot dispatched to shoot down a broken B-17 bomber trying desperately to fly back to the UK followed it to the channel then came back and said he shot it down, even though he let it go. I think nowadays we should probably be aware that most of the stories about Germans are just propoganda, though the Nazi threat was very much real.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby kerrianne92 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:00 pm

My great uncle was in the navy. im not sure exactly what he did though.
They will not force us, They will stop degrading us, They will not control us, We will be victorious - Muse
kerrianne92
Mega Poster

Postby Danni » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:47 pm

One of my granddads was a Nazi, and was shot down over Russia and brought here as a prisoner of war, and then didn't leave. The other was conscripted into the army here.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dan » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:24 pm

Danni wrote:One of my granddads was a Nazi, and was shot down over Russia and brought here as a prisoner of war, and then didn't leave. The other was conscripted into the army here.

He wasn't necessarily a Nazi if he was a pilot. It must be upsetting for you if he really was though. Where is "here" by the way? Forgive my ignorance!
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:52 am

Dan wrote: you must know that German soldiers in general were not Nazis like films try to tell us. A lot of German soldiers were good people just like British and American soldiers.

That's true. On both sides they were just following orders.

I don't really know much about what my family did in the war - i think most of them were too old or too young to join. I know that my grandparents on my mum's side where kids during the war. And I think one of my great-grandparents was in the Raf, But i could be wrong - I got that from my parents.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:25 pm

My grandmother on my mum's side was evacuated to Hastings from Camberwell in London when she was 14. My grandfather on my mum's side was kept as a prisoner of war in Egypt and my grandmother's sisters husband on my dad's side was kept in a prisoner of war camp in Japan. The experience affected him so much that, right up until he died, which was in 2002, he refused to buy any goods that had been made in Japan and refused to talk about his time in the camp at all.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Remus » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:27 pm

To be honest, I don't know anything really. My granddads passed away before I was born but I know one of them had to stay behind in the war as he was a repairman and had to look after the machines in the factories. As for my nans, I've never asked as I've never been curious.
Remus
Site Admin

Return to News and Current Events