The Marlon King incident

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

The Marlon King incident

Postby Steph » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:19 pm

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-New ... 0415427930

I'm sure a lot of people have read about the Marlon King incident which he was jailed for last week. I actually know the victim-she is an old family friend who I lost contact with after my grandmother died. She is the daughter of my mum's ex fiance and we used to go to the pantomime together when we were younger. I still find it really strange seeing her face in the papers. I do think it was a disgraceful thing to do, especially when you consider the differences in height and physique between King and her. Violence is wrong, full stop, but, as people have commented, the force of the punch along with the discrepecancy in physique could have killed her. Personally I have always thought that footballers get let off lightly when they have committed crimes-the example of Lee Bowyer who racially assaulted an Asian student in Leeds is an example that springs to mind. I am pleased that finally something appears to have been done.
Steph
Forum God !

Re: The Marlon King incident

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:09 pm

ok since not many people know about football on this forum, one thing steph is that Lee Bowyer has been in one incident since then were he fought with a team mate on the pitch during the game. the worst footballer for crime has been Joey Barton [current newcastle united player] Joey Barton has done alot since 2005, he has been convicted twice on charges of violence. On 20 May 2008 he was sentenced to six months imprisonment for common assault and affray during an incident outside a McDonald's restaurant in Liverpool City Centre. Barton served 77 days of this prison term, being released on 28 July 2008. On 1 July 2008 he was also given a four months suspended sentence after admitting assault occasioning actual bodily harm on former teammate Ousmane Dabo during a training ground dispute. This incident effectively ended his Manchester City career. Three days after his release, he was charged with violent conduct by The FA for the assault on Ousmane Dabo. In 2004, he was also involved in an incident where he stubbed out a cigar onto the eyes of reserve team player Jamie Tandy during a Manchester City Christmas party at Lucid nightclub. This resulted in permanent scarring for the victim although his vision was to return to normal.

In May 2005 he broke a 35-year-old pedestrian's leg while driving his car through Liverpool city centre at 2 am. He was arrested on suspicion of assault and criminal damage after an alleged argument with a taxi driver in Liverpool while going to his hotel after a match on 13 March 2007. He was cleared of this charge in May 2008. On 27 December 2007, Barton was arrested on suspicion of assault in the Church Street area of Liverpool city centre following an incident which took place at 5:30 am. He was remanded in custody on 28 December since the alleged offence was committed whilst he was on bail for two prior offences; the presiding magistrate noted "I also have to consider the safety of the public - you lashed out indiscriminately". He was later charged with common assault and affray, and was sentenced to six months in prison on 20 May 2008. Barton admitted to having an addiction to alcohol and claimed he wanted to achieve "total abstinence" in order to improve his behaviour.

and to make matters worse his brother was convicted of the murder of Anthony Walkerhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Anthony_Walker in Liverpool and is serving an 18 year sentence
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby Steph » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:16 pm

Yes I have heard about Barton-he sounds like a nasty, nasty man! Didn't he assault a 16 year old boy as well recently? There is no way he should still be playing!
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:18 pm

As for the Anthony Walker murder, that sickened me to the core!
Steph
Forum God !

Return to News and Current Events