The PM and the handwritten letter to a dead solider's family

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

The PM and the handwritten letter to a dead solider's family

Postby clarl1 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:35 pm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 911600.ece, look at the comments.
One of the major news story of the week is that fact that the PM who has problems writing due to his very poor eye sight took the time to handwrite a letter to a dead solider's family which was described to be illegible and mispelt the son's name. I am shocked that this story has become so widespread and slightly outraged about the comments. What does anyone else think?
clarl1

Re: The PM and the handwritten letter to a dead solider's family

Postby Skinny3600 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:34 pm

I think the soldiers mom is a total Douche for acting the way she did, and the media for fanning this pitiful political attack
Skinny3600
Forum Master

Postby madame_tigre » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:06 pm

I'm starting to feel sorry for Gordon Brown - that man can't seem to please anyone! I think the Mother should have been more grateful that she received a letter in the first place as Gordon went out of his way to write it. However, I think the Sun have been the biggest idiots in all of this and think the Mother will look back at this incident with embarassment.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:05 pm

I can understand the mum being angry. When people are going through major grief, it's easy to get extremely upset over little things. Also, she probably didn't know that it was because of his eyesight.

The journalists who have attacked him, however, have been childish, ableist and cruel.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Remus » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:18 pm

I hated him at first but now I honestly feel sorry for the guy. The press give him such a hard time. As for that mother, she was just looking for a scapegoat to pin her son's death on. She should be ashamed by the outburst she made. Personally if it was me, I would rather have a mispelt handwritten note by the actual PM then some computerised automatic message saying sorry.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Alice » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:44 pm

I was talking to my flatmates earlier about this. It seems that because he's the prime minister that means that he can't also be a person. All they did was question his motives for writing the letter, and say that he will have got someone to tell him what to write so he may as well have got them to write it. I find it hard not to imagine myself in his shoes on this particular occasion, and so my veiw is somewhat more sympathetic.

I don't think pepole should blame the mother for being harsh though. That kind of greif is hard to imagine, and I'm sure it doesn't allways bring out the best in pepole.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:51 pm

I don't think pepole should blame the mother for being harsh though. That kind of greif is hard to imagine, and I'm sure it doesn't allways bring out the best in pepole.

Very true.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Return to News and Current Events