Video Gamers Can Control Their Dreams

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

Postby Piers1 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:19 am

Playing video games before bedtime may give people an unusual level of awareness and control in their dreams, LiveScience has learned.

That ability to shape the alternate reality of dream worlds might not match mind-bending Hollywood films such as The Matrix, but it could provide an edge when fighting nightmares or even mental trauma.

Dreams and video games both represent alternate realities, according to Jayne Gackenbach, a psychologist at Grant MacEwan University in Canada. But she pointed out that dreams arise biologically from the human mind, while video games are technologically driven by computers and gaming consoles.

“If you’re spending hours a day in a virtual reality, if nothing else it’s practice,” said Jayne Gackenbach, a psychologist at Grant MacEwan University in Canada. “Gamers are used to controlling their game environments, so that can translate into dreams.”

http://www.livescience.com/culture/vide ... 00525.html
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Piers1
Forum Master

Re: Video Gamers Can Control Their Dreams

Postby smileygal » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:14 pm

wow thanks so much for posting this - i had no idea. Its kind of scary to think of that happening :S...maybe i should play more vidio games lol
smileygal

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:51 pm

That's very interesting.

Does dayreaming/reading have a similar effect? And can it give people other powers? Like powers to send feelings?
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Piers1 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:20 pm

i have no idea, i just found it interesting. But I remember reading an article a couple of years ago which spoke about daydreaming and how when you daydream about your past, you sort of go into another state of consciousness, kind of like time traveling... Wish i could remember it...
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Piers1
Forum Master

Return to News and Current Events