Egyptian Blogger Jailed

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

Egyptian Blogger Jailed

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:15 am

I just got an e-mail asking me to sign a petition against the improsonment of Egyptian blogger Karim Amer.
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeacti ... m=19854117
Since he blogged in Arabic, I can't read his blog and don't know exactly what he said to get him in trouble, but writing posts on a blog (even if what he said was libellous, and it may well not have been) hardly deserves a four-year prison sentence and frequent beatings.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Re: Egyptian Blogger Jailed

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:53 am

http://www.freekareem.org/what-kareem-said/

English translations and Arabic originals of his articles are available here. I don't agree with him, but I don't think he deserves to be in prison. I think he is brave.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:08 pm

I have signed this petition. I wish I could say I was surprised but sadly I'm not. My own boyfriend was forced out of his home country because the Government didn't like what he was writing. He is Facebook friends with a lot of human rights activists and, almost every other day, another story comes up involving journalists or other people whose work is available to be viewed by the general public being jailed or arrested for writing pieces that the Government in their respective country doesn't approve of. It makes me appreciate England. People complain about the Government here all the time but at least we CAN complain, unlike hundreds of thousands of people around the world who cannot do that purely because of where they are born.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Remus » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:53 pm

I comment on your blog, Esther about it but it is just awful. I hope the poor guy is released.
Remus
Site Admin

Return to News and Current Events