Introductions...

Use this forum to announce yourself to the world!

Postby Indyana » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:04 am

Hermionefan5 wrote: Hey Indy!! Glad you found this forum!! :D I have a question for you. It sounds like you lived in the US before now. How long (if you did live here) did you live here? I live in Illinois and I was just curious. This is a wonderful site. I am dyspraxic and I don't know anyone in the US who has it so I like to talk on here a lot. Hope you enjoy your stay (here and in the US) :D

Shanna, 19, Oswego, Illinois, USA :D

Hi Shanna,

My Kids and I are UK residents but we are Americans, I am from New York, where I lived until I was about 11, then moved to Flroida where I lived until I was 28 (and my children were just about 4. We are moving back to Florida for a year (I'm 37 in a few weeks (heaven help me))

We are saddened about leaving the UK but we will be back in year or so.

My Son is Dyspraxic, and I remember when I had to have him "pre tested" for school in the states He speaks witha lisp, and was a little clumsy and they tried to tell me he was "retarded" rather than Dyspraxic. Wasn't till I moved to the UK a few months later and he was actually in school that a teacher suggested he might have dyspraxia.

(my spelling stinks BTW (lol))

This is a wonderful site and I have been letting my son visit here with super vison for the past few days I hope he gets as much from it as you have.
Indyana

Postby Indyana » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:06 am

SpursFan wrote: Hi Indy!

It's great to have parents on the forum too. Welcome to the forum.

Matt.

I am always on the look out for ways to improve my sons PC skills and safe sites he can surf. And with all the great information here I hope it helps him see he is not so different as he once thought.
Indyana

Postby SpursFan » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:57 am

I'd love to spend time in America. I would particularly love to see the Western states as I've always been really fascinated by that region of the US since I was a child. America is such a massive and diverse country that every state is probably very different.

Plus I love strong American accents. British accents are boring in comparison, especially as we don't really have an accent.

Matt.
SpursFan
Super Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:51 am

That's ironic, because I love British accents. You should come visit America some day. The western states, especially Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, South Dakota and California are really pretty. I saw the Grand Canyon in Arizona and Mount Rushmore in South Dakota. Yosemite National Park (in CAL) and Yellowstone National Park (in Wyoming) are really beautiful too. Illinois, where I live, has Chicago (3rd largest city in the US) and has the SEARS TOWER, the third? largest building in the world. NOt really quite sure on that. All of the states have somthing interesting to offer over here. I have not been to all, but every one has some kind of park or city or historical place or theme park in it. Florida's main attractions are beaches and theme parks, the most famous is DISNEY WORLD of course. :D America is a fun place because there are different groups of people almost everywhere and they practice different cultures. B)

Friendly American Cousin :D
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby mumof3 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:31 pm

Hi Indy
Welcome to the forum.
I'm Rachels Mum. We both find this site great and it has helped a lot with Rachel's keyboard skills. I'm 48 so might be the o;dest on this forum! :rolleyes:
mumof3
Advanced Member

Postby jofisk » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:25 am

Hi all

I'm Fiona, mum to Alanna aged 6 and Kelsea aged 3. Both of my girls have Language disorders. Alanna has a general Language disorder with comprehension being her main problem area. Alanna is currently in year 1 at a local Language Development Centre, this her 2nd year at the centre. She has made alot of progress since attending the centre.

Kelsea has dyspraxia and was diagnosed in early Feb this year at the age of 2yrs 10 mths. She only has the verbal side of it, and is very talkative, but most people just can't understand her. She currently attends speech therapy once a fortnight and we are working on basic CV sounds. She is being assessed for the languaged centre for Kindy (4 yr olds) next year.

I may have undiagnosed dyspraxia as I had speech therapy and an auditory memory problem when I was in school. I still have problems saying certain words, but have learned to live with it. My main problem now is that I have problems with written communication skills and attending job interviews. So I have been in the same job for 14 yrs.

We live an outer suburb of Perth, the capital of Western Australia. So hopefully there are other Aussies on this site.
<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'>Fiona<br>DH John<br>DD Alanna (21/03/1999) Language (Comprehension) Delay <br>DD Kelsea (15/03/2002) Dyspraxic</span></span>
jofisk

Postby Philip » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:46 pm

Welcome to the forum
Philip
Splendiferous Member

Postby benjnottingham » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:26 pm

Hi Fiona,
Welcome to the forum.
Ben :)
B Jackson
benjnottingham
Splendiferous Member

Postby madame_tigre » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:50 pm

Welcome to the forum Fiona!

My name is Rosanna, I'm 18 next month and like you I think I may have undiagnosed Dyspraxia which I'm trying to get diagnosed with as soon as possible to save me from getting sacked from my jobs. I find answering telephones an absolute nightmare and I also struggle with job interviews. I am currently doing a modern apprenticeship in Buisness Administration. May I ask what job you've been doing for the last 14 years?

Anyway, enjoy the site.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby david456 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:56 pm

Welcome to the forum Fiona!

David :)
david456
Mega Poster

Postby jofisk » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:09 am

The job I have been in for 14 yrs is a Public Servant at the Department of Education and Training. I work in the Records section, which handles mail and file creation for central office and also in an advisory way to schools and TAFE Colleges. I have held alot of positions in my section. In the last 7 yrs I have had 3.5 yrs off due to having the girls.
<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'>Fiona<br>DH John<br>DD Alanna (21/03/1999) Language (Comprehension) Delay <br>DD Kelsea (15/03/2002) Dyspraxic</span></span>
jofisk

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:51 am

Welcome!! :D I am Shanna and I am an American. I am the lone American on this site, as far as I know. I wish there were more, but oh well. ;) I live in Oswego, Illinois, which is near Chicago. I am a big fan of Chicago Cubs baseball and Major League Soccer, as well as women's soccer. I like books (Harry Potter and Nicholas Sparks books especially.) I like to write stories and I like to watch movies. Playing sports is fun too. I am not an official dyspraxic, but I think I may be because I have some symptoms. I am NLD (nonverbal learning disorder), which is sort of the same I think. No one says dyspraxia around here very much. It is mostly "you're LD" or something. I am 19 years old and going into my second year in college. I have one older sister, age 22, and one younger one , age 13. I have a dog, a mom and a dad, no brothers. :D I am a biology major currently, but I want to be an author. :D

Shanna
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby anwencelia » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:41 am

Hi, Everyone!

I'm a twenty-one year old American. My name is Alice. I love reading, and cats. I've not been officially diagnosed as a dyspraxic yet, but I think that the possibility is really likely. My Mom went to nursing school, and though she's not a doctor, she thought I had it, and everyone whom I have shown a list of symptoms to has immediatley said stuff like, 'Oh, I wondered for years what was different about you!", or, "You are an obvious care, dear." But it was said in a humorous way.
anwencelia
Power Poster

Postby anwencelia » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:54 am

Hi again...I just realized that I accidentally sent the post before I was finished, so here is part two! Anyway....my balance and coordination are practically nonexistent (I tend to run into walls a lot, and people, especially on walks). Friends have told me that my handwriting is neat when I work at it, but it looks very immature for my age. If I am just writing, my handwriting is pretty terrible. I'm oversensitive to noise and lights, and struggle a lot with perception. And...really...I have to be careful, or I put my clothes on inside out or backwards! This was a big problem for me when I was little, but now I'm usually okay, except for socks (they are the most complicated things...I seem to never put them on right). My speech has a light lisp, but childhood speech therepy mostly fixed that. Anyway, there is more, but this gives you an idea. I'm hoping to be diagnosed officially when I go home (I'm overseas right now), but I only have three months in the US, and I am not sure how practical this is. My most embaresssing dyspraxic moment was when I missed a bus ride because I couldn't get the door locked of a building I was supposed to lock up when I left! I had to have friends half an hour away pick me up. I felt terrible! Part of the problem is that I can never remember which way to turn the key. I don't drive (between not knowing left and right apart, perception trouble, not being able to steer, and always getting the gas and brake pedel mixed up, it may not be the wisest idea), but I am okay with that. Occasionally, people want to know why I don't drive, so I am working on being able to explain why with confidence. I have only (unofficially) known about my dyspraxia for two years, but when I first heard about it, it just answered so many questions, and made so much sense! I enjoy life, and am looking forward to posting again! Hopefully, I will keep it shorter next time! Thanks for reading this! -Alice
anwencelia
Power Poster

Postby madame_tigre » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:54 pm

Welcome aboard Alice!

My name is Rosanna and I'm 18 tomorrow-aaaarrrgggghhh!!!! Like you I'm an undiagnosed Dyspraxic who loves cats and reading. I also enjoy going on the internet, going to the cinema/theatre and dancing.

I really enjoyed reading your first post Alice, we can all relate to you in some way or another. You also don't need to worry about making long posts-they can be as lengthy as you like!

Hope to see you around!
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome