Hi everyone (shy...)

Use this forum to announce yourself to the world!

Hi everyone (shy...)

Postby Aoife_B » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:28 pm

:oops: Hi everyone, um I'm Aoife or Eve as is usually the easier option. I'm 15 and have moderate dyspraxia (surprised? :P ) ,which i was diagnosed with when i was 10, dysgraphia anxiety and depression.

I um really like comedy, comedy shows/ stand-up comedians, listening to music and writing. I DON'T like panic attacks, talking in public, loud noises, much sport or Maths.

I would like to be a psychologist when i'm older, specialising in Autism, Aspergers...the whole Austistic spectrum really.

Also I come from a family where I wouldn't really discuss this much and am still a bit hazy about some aspects of Dyspraxia etc (one of the main reasons for joining). I don't know anyone else with Dyspraxia so I'd quite like to talk to some people about it :)! Apologies in advance for future shyness.

Wow, i'll stop rambling now ha. :oops:

xxx
Aoife_B
Super Poster
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: Hi everyone (shy...)

Postby pinkparrot » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:45 pm

Welcome! :)
Ancilla sum xx
User avatar
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !
 
Posts: 2609
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:52 pm

Re: Hi everyone (shy...)

Postby mattlovesjess » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:59 pm

hey Eve! Welcome to DT:-) i'm matt im 17 n i have dyspraxia (obviuosly) lol hows you? and dont apologies for bein shy i am too!! enjoy the forums! xx
mattlovesjess
Forum Master
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:12 pm
Location: worcester, uk

Re: Hi everyone (shy...)

Postby Aoife_B » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:14 am

:) thanks to you both. I'm bit anxious right now, not too bad though thanks. Thank you I will :)
Aoife_B
Super Poster
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: Hi everyone (shy...)

Postby Brian » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:26 am

Hi Aoife, I'm Brian and I'm 17 years old from Dublin, Ireland. Welcome to DT.
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:25 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Hi everyone (shy...)

Postby parnassus » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:08 am

Welcome to DT, Aoife. My name is Vicky and at twenty-two I am one of the oldest members. (I helped to set up the forum and I'm a moderator, which is why I'm still here. That and the fact that it is impossible to leave this place once you've got addicted. :P)

I have severe dyspraxia and Asperger's Syndrome. I share your interest in psychology - I plan to take a psychology conversion degree at some point and eventually qualify as a clinical psychologist. (I tried to do this last year, but the university I enrolled in was extremely disorganised and I found it impossible to cope with their memory lapses on top of my own. I ended up doing an introductory course in counselling instead.) If I chose to specialise it would probably be with people who have a variety of speech, language, and communication difficulties or people experiencing complex and enduring mental illness. I also have a growing interest in Alzheimer's disease. In other words, I have no idea what I want to specialise in...

Regarding the haziness you feel about your dyspraxia, when I was sixteen I wrote Caged in Chaos: A Dyspraxic Guide to Breaking Free, which is aimed at other dyspraxic teenagers. Quite a few of the people here contributed their stories and experiences to the book, so you might find it helpful to read, especially if it isn't easy for you to talk to your family about things. There is a chapter on family life in there.

I have anxiety myself, although at the moment it tends to manifest itself as jumpiness and jitters rather than full-blown panic attacks. Are you getting any help for yours? I used to receive cognitive behavioural therapy, and I miss it.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5883
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:10 pm
Location: Over here

Re: Hi everyone (shy...)

Postby monkey » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:04 am

welcome. I am 23. I have dyspraxia also.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:21 am

Re: Hi everyone (shy...)

Postby Danni » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:14 am

Welcome, Aoife. I am Danni, I'm 22 and I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome last year. I was told I was dyspraxic when I was 15, and I have been on this forum since I was 19.

My favourite things are the colour purple, penguins, computers, sci-fi and weird music :) I also hate panic attacks, along with crowds, being alone, talking on the telephone, and public transport.

Don't worry about being shy on here. I go through periods of not posting at all, then posting loads. It may help you to read through the forums for information if you're uncertain about things, and we'll try to answer any questions you have :)
Purple penguin resistance member
User avatar
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:39 pm
Location: Gateshead, England

Re: Hi everyone (shy...)

Postby Steph » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:15 am

Hiya! I'm Steph and I'm 22. I have both dyspraxia and Aspergers Syndrome. I live in Surrey in south east England and I work as a support worker in a residential school for children with severe and complex epilepsy and other neurological and physical disabilities. It is very challenging but I enjoy it and I am getting better at it now! I love animals (I have 3 cats at home), the Internet, learning about other cultures and languages, reading and listening to music. I hope you enjoy the boards :D
Steph
Forum God !
 
Posts: 7853
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Surrey, south east England

Re: Hi everyone (shy...)

Postby madame_tigre » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:00 pm

Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about feeling shy, DT is a very friendly place and everyone is welcome. My name is Rosanna and I'm a 21 year old with Dyspraxia and Speech and Language difficulties.
User avatar
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1755
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:40 am
Location: Leeds

Re: Hi everyone (shy...)

Postby Star » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:02 pm

'ello. I'm Nina I'm nineteen and am currently on a gap year.

Like you I love writing, and music and comedy shows. I also hate maths (ick).

I live in Sussex (I used to live in London but moved to Sussex when I was ten, or was it nine?... I can't remember.) Like you I used to be a bit hazey about certain aspects of my dyspraxia, this was proven when I went to university at the start of this academic year, thinking that I would be able to cope with moving far from home. I couldn't cope, I became incredibly homesick, spent most of my time worrying about the smallest most unimportant of things (like when I was going to do my washing,) found myself unable to work (this terrified me because I thrive when I have lots of work to do.) And ended up realising that I didn't like large amounts of change. Now though, I have left the university that I was at and have applied to another one that is a 7 minute train journey from the town in which I live now.

You'll probably continue to discover new things about your dyspraxia and find out all sorts of things about what you can and cannot do.

Welcome to the site, we're nice people honest. :)

Right, I think I'll go now an leave you to read this great big essay of mine. lol
Star
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:42 pm

Re: Hi everyone (shy...)

Postby Aoife_B » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:05 pm

parnassus wrote:Welcome to DT, Aoife. My name is Vicky and at twenty-two I am one of the oldest members. (I helped to set up the forum and I'm a moderator, which is why I'm still here. That and the fact that it is impossible to leave this place once you've got addicted. :P)

I have severe dyspraxia and Asperger's Syndrome. I share your interest in psychology - I plan to take a psychology conversion degree at some point and eventually qualify as a clinical psychologist. (I tried to do this last year, but the university I enrolled in was extremely disorganised and I found it impossible to cope with their memory lapses on top of my own. I ended up doing an introductory course in counselling instead.) If I chose to specialise it would probably be with people who have a variety of speech, language, and communication difficulties or people experiencing complex and enduring mental illness. I also have a growing interest in Alzheimer's disease. In other words, I have no idea what I want to specialise in...

Regarding the haziness you feel about your dyspraxia, when I was sixteen I wrote Caged in Chaos: A Dyspraxic Guide to Breaking Free, which is aimed at other dyspraxic teenagers. Quite a few of the people here contributed their stories and experiences to the book, so you might find it helpful to read, especially if it isn't easy for you to talk to your family about things. There is a chapter on family life in there.

I have anxiety myself, although at the moment it tends to manifest itself as jumpiness and jitters rather than full-blown panic attacks. Are you getting any help for yours? I used to receive cognitive behavioural therapy, and I miss it.


Hi Vicky :)

Any of those Psychological fields sound really interesting, I hope you can choose! (Ahh that sucks :(, I like that my schools very organised so if I miss things they know whats meant to be going on)

Oh wow congratulations, I will definately look that up, that would help me a lot I think, especially coming from someone who has their own experiences :)

Bless you, I am also rather jumpy and I can never sit still. I'm currently seeing a psychiatrist for anxiety, depression and insommnia and they are contemplating medication and (more CBT). Can you not start recieveing it again? :(
Aoife_B
Super Poster
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: Hi everyone (shy...)

Postby Aoife_B » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:08 pm

Danni wrote:Welcome, Aoife. I am Danni, I'm 22 and I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome last year. I was told I was dyspraxic when I was 15, and I have been on this forum since I was 19.

My favourite things are the colour purple, penguins, computers, sci-fi and weird music :) I also hate panic attacks, along with crowds, being alone, talking on the telephone, and public transport.

Don't worry about being shy on here. I go through periods of not posting at all, then posting loads. It may help you to read through the forums for information if you're uncertain about things, and we'll try to answer any questions you have :)

Hi Danni :), I also like puple and penguins as well as share your fears, though I do like being alone.
Okay thank you :) I'll try not to be !
Aoife_B
Super Poster
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: Hi everyone (shy...)

Postby Aoife_B » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:11 pm

Steph wrote:Hiya! I'm Steph and I'm 22. I have both dyspraxia and Aspergers Syndrome. I live in Surrey in south east England and I work as a support worker in a residential school for children with severe and complex epilepsy and other neurological and physical disabilities. It is very challenging but I enjoy it and I am getting better at it now! I love animals (I have 3 cats at home), the Internet, learning about other cultures and languages, reading and listening to music. I hope you enjoy the boards :D


Hi Steph :), Your job sounds great, a lot of people here seem to have jobs helping others :). I have a turtle and 2 cats though i used to have 5. Thank you! :)
Aoife_B
Super Poster
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: Hi everyone (shy...)

Postby Aoife_B » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:12 pm

madame_tigre wrote:Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about feeling shy, DT is a very friendly place and everyone is welcome. My name is Rosanna and I'm a 21 year old with Dyspraxia and Speech and Language difficulties.

Hi Rosanna, Thanks you very much, everyone is so welcoming :)
Aoife_B
Super Poster
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:56 pm

Next

Return to Welcome

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron