NEED HELP X

Use this forum to announce yourself to the world!

NEED HELP X

Postby uncle wolf » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:57 pm

Hi i am am a guy with a step son who i love! His name is Charlie ! He is 17 i am 49 ! I know things can be difficult but something just aint right! He has Dyspraxia or so i am told by his mother! To be honest i am lost i don't know how to communicate with him. I know he has a dad who he loves but i look after him as in none family stuff like feed him cloth him and keep him warm n happy i hope but still i feel i am an outsider ! Please can someone help me x I truly love him but i do not understand him ! sorry if that offends x sorry
uncle wolf

Re: NEED HELP X

Postby parnassus » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:22 pm

Hello Uncle Wolf, and welcome to the forum.

Dyspraxia is a pervasive condition that can be very difficult to understand if you don't know what to look for. Most people tend to focus on problems with co-ordination, balance, and spatial perception, as these are the difficulties from which dyspraxia takes its name. But the majority of teenagers with dyspraxia also have problems with social skills and coping with change. It isn't easy for them to get know people, and they may struggle to know how to behave in different situations. Dyspraxia is very similar to certain forms of autism in this regard.

As a result, your step-son may prefer to spend lots of time by himself or with people he knows very well. When he is with you, he may struggle to begin or maintain a conversation. Don't take this personally - social interaction is a huge area of difficulty for many of us. I never mean to appear rude or unfriendly, but I never can seem to keep a conversation going with people I don't know well - they always fizzle out, or I end up saying the wrong thing and hurting people's feelings. We also tend to have difficulty understanding facial expressions and body language, which makes it hard to pick up on what the other person is thinking and feeling. This means that making friends with a dyspraxic person can take a lot of patience and time. One of my closest friends from university once told me that he found me very difficult to get to know at first, and added, "None of us were sure what to make of you." But they were willing to give me lots of chances and eventually I got to feel more comfortable around them.

It may take a long time for your stepson to get to know you and adjust to having you around, but I'm sure he will get there in the end. There are people on here who have step-parents, and they may be able to give you some helpful strategies on how to get to know him better.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby uncle wolf » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:51 pm

Thank you for that as i really need it ! I guess i am not the easiest person to get on with but i love him and look after him to the best of my ability! I welcome any advise and am truly grateful
uncle wolf

Postby charity » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:30 am

as a dyspraxic person, what i need most from people is acceptance and understanding.the best thing for u would be to just be there for him, and be supportive when he has trouble with everday things, that u never evan think about.
charity
Power Poster

Return to Welcome