Introduction

Use this forum to announce yourself to the world!

Introduction

Postby Pheonix 47 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:38 pm

Hello everone, :D I have just joined your forum, I am the proud parent of a dyspraxic teenager. I would first like to thank everybody on this site because I have received more help in one week than I have got in the last eight years since my son was diagnosed. As a parent, (who is also still learning how dyspraxia affects your lives as you get older), I have had great difficulty trying to explain dyspraxia to other people, especially teachers who are totally ignorant about it, and put everything down to bad behavior. This site has helped me to re-connect with my son, he reads the site with me and we laugh at the things he can really relate to. It has helped him to realize that he not the only one late for class, hes not the only one that forgets to eat, or many of the other things that are on here. I would like to be able to ask questions if that is ok with everyone. Again thankyou.
Pheonix 47
Advanced Member

Re: Introduction

Postby Remus » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:53 pm

Hello, welcome to DT. I'm Remus, I'm 17 and I'm mild dyspraxic (although it's unofficial, trying to get it sorted out). I live in Birmingham, West Midlands where I am currently training to be a zookeeper. I have four cats and one fish and love all sorts of animals! I love books, movies, music, television especially TV series.

I'm glad DT has been able to help your son and enable you two to re-connect. I think any dyspraxic or someone who looks after or knows a dyspraxic, I think can relate to many things on here. Feel free to ask questions, that's what we here for, to help out and support people.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Pheonix 47 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:21 pm

Thankyou Remus for your reply, my son came in from school today and asked if I had found anything else on this site to show him. It was a wonderful feeling because now I really feel that we are working together. I felt it was a very good way to also help his brothers and sister to understand him and dyspraxia a bit better. I am a widow and it concerns me that if anything were to happen to me, who would understand my son as much as I do. Many thanks again. :D
Pheonix 47
Advanced Member

Postby keegan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:25 pm

it helped me i was diagnosed when i was 4 and i'm 16 and have only just accepted that i have it "/ i find it hard to tell people because they don't understand so i don't untill now where it's made me more comfortable with it, i also have a friend in class with it and we talk about all them writing exam things and building blocks and checking our limbs, it's great that im not alone anymore and i can talk to people who actually understand me and what it's like :) xxx
keegan

Postby k9ruby » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:17 pm

Hello everone, :D I have just joined your forum, I am the proud parent of a dyspraxic teenager. I would first like to thank everybody on this site because I have received more help in one week than I have got in the last eight years since my son was diagnosed. As a parent, (who is also still learning how dyspraxia affects your lives as you get older), I have had great difficulty trying to explain dyspraxia to other people, especially teachers who are totally ignorant about it, and put everything down to bad behavior. This site has helped me to re-connect with my son, he reads the site with me and we laugh at the things he can really relate to. It has helped him to realize that he not the only one late for class, hes not the only one that forgets to eat, or many of the other things that are on here. I would like to be able to ask questions if that is ok with everyone. Again thankyou.

I'm glad you are finding DT useful!

Welcome to the boards! I must say- replied to some of your other posts so feel free to check em out. About the forgetting to eat thing- guilty. I can get so drawn in to what I'm doing sometimes (normally on my computer or reading) that I do forget to do things, and often don't realise people are talking to me!

I remember one product design lesson at GCSE I was so engrossed on some sort of 3D model on my laptop, that I hadn't realised that my teacher had called my name 5 times. Until my friend pointed it out to me! Ooops.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Remus » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:50 am

Pheonix 47 wrote:Thankyou Remus for your reply, my son came in from school today and asked if I had found anything else on this site to show him. It was a wonderful feeling because now I really feel that we are working together. I felt it was a very good way to also help his brothers and sister to understand him and dyspraxia a bit better. I am a widow and it concerns me that if anything were to happen to me, who would understand my son as much as I do. Many thanks again. :D

It's great that he has such a wonderful family to take care of him. I agree, it's good to get his siblings involved and knowledgeable, that's good for him for the future. I wish my siblings understood me more! :P
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:51 pm

Hiya! I'm Steph and I'm 23. I have both dyspraxia and Aspergers Syndrome. I live in Surrey in south east England and I work as a support worker in a residential school for children with severe and complex epilepsy and other neurological and physical disabilities. It is very challenging but I enjoy it and I am getting better at it now! I love animals (I have 3 cats at home), the Internet, learning about other cultures and languages, reading and listening to music. I hope you enjoy the boards :D
Steph
Forum God !

Postby loraindeniso3 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:16 am

Hi everyone
I am Lorain from Sweden. I founded this site from google search. I am very impressed to see such a nice forum of this site which brought me hear. Anyway i have a two daughter. Currently i am working in MNC company as a web developer. So if you have any query regarding to my subject just pm me.
loraindeniso3

Postby Ben Jackson » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:28 pm

Hi Lorain,
Welcome to DT.
I'm Ben and I've got mild & verbal dyspraxia and I designed a couple of my of own websites (one is my official website to do about my own music & other is to do with mechanical music).
B Jackson
Ben Jackson
Splendiferous Member

Return to Welcome