Hello everyone :)

Use this forum to announce yourself to the world!

Hello everyone :)

Postby Dino » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:00 am

My name's Dino (pronounced Dean-oh), I'm 18 and live in Bristol, England. I am originally from Bosnia and Herzegovina (which used to be in Yugoslavia) and speak Serbocroatian as my first language (which is in the same language group as Russian, Polish etc.) and English as my second. But my grandad was also of part Italian descent, hence my Italian first name. :wink:

I first learned I had dyspraxia at the age of 13. Prior to that, I had similar problems to many undiagnosed dyspraxics-a lack of social skills, obsessive behaviour etc. but now it is a lot better as I have since learned to somewhat control and manage it. My official diagnosis lists a severe form of dyspraxia as my main and most serious condition, but also lists that I have much milder forms of Asperger's Syndrome, ADHD and ADD (So a real megamix, lol). My main passions in life are history and politics, cooking and growing orchids and carnivorous plants, of which I have over 300 in total.

I'm glad I've found a place where other people understand my condition and I hope to engage in some great conversations with you guys. :D

Dino
Dino

Re: Hello everyone :)

Postby Cynamon » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:45 am

Welcome to the forum Dino :)
Cynamon

Postby Ben Jackson » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:00 am

Welcome to DT Dino,
I'm Ben and I've got mild & verbal dyspraxia.
B Jackson
Ben Jackson
Splendiferous Member

Postby bpcooper » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:04 am

Hello dino, I'm Benedict and I have dyspraxia and aspergers. I hope you enjoy your stay at this forum.
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby madame_tigre » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:08 am

Welcome to the forum Dino!

My name is Rosanna and I'm a 22 year old administrator from Leeds.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:20 pm

Hiya! I'm Steph and I'm 23. I have both dyspraxia and Aspergers Syndrome. I live in Surrey in south east England and I work as a support worker in a residential school for children with severe and complex epilepsy and other neurological and physical disabilities. It is very challenging but I enjoy it and I am getting better at it now! I love animals (I have 3 cats at home), the Internet, learning about other cultures and languages, reading and listening to music. I hope you enjoy the boards :D
Steph
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:03 pm

Hello Dino, and welcome to the forum. It sounds as though you're quite similar to me - I have severe dyspraxia as my primary diagnosis, but I also have Asperger Syndrome. My name is Vicky and I'm twenty-two. I graduated from university in 2008 with a degree in English, and now I'm working as a special needs support worker in a college run by Mencap.

Whereabouts in Bosnia are you from? (I have a good friend who has spent a long time there and he pricked up his ears when I mentioned that someone from Bosnia had joined DT.)
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Dino » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:19 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone. :)

Hi Vicky, yes that does sound similar to me. I think the only difference is that I only have a small degree of Aspergers (and ADD and ADHD) so I don't have all the symptoms and difficulties associated with it, only a few of them. I wanted to do a degree in English originally, but at college I realised that I was better at History and Politics and found them easier than English so I'm going to be doing a History degree this coming September. :)

I'm from Mostar-here is a link in case you havn't heard of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mostar . That's interesting, where abouts was your friend? Was he part of the international peacekeeping team?
Dino

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:27 pm

Welcome to the forum, Dino. I hope you like it here. :)

I'm Esther and I'm not a teen any more, but I like DT too much to stay away. I am studying at Durham University.

Good luck with your history degree. Where do you planon studying?
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Creative » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:04 pm

Welcome to the forum Dino. I hope you find it helpful. I'm 25 and I volunteer for a dyslexia organisation, at a toyroom in a charity shop and at my local library.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Remus » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:54 pm

Hello Dino, I know we met already in the debate forum but even if we are fighting like cat and dog, still nice to be civil and proper introduce myself. I'm Remus, I'm 17 and I'm mild dyspraxic (although it's unofficial, trying to get it sorted out). I live in Birmingham, West Midlands where I am currently training to be a zookeeper. I have four cats and one fish and love all sorts of animals! I love books, movies, music, television especially TV series.

Wow, that's a cool collection of plants. I love carnivorous plants even so I don't much about them. I just think some of the methods they have evolved to capture prey as quite clever. I personally like Venus Flytraps with the whole trapping method with the hairs but I also like those plants where the insect falls into those pitfall traps with the water.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby JamesStanley » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:31 pm

hi im james im 16 from stafford

welcome to the forum

hope you enjoy it
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Postby Dino » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:18 am

Hi Esther, thanks :) Either at Bristol University or Cardiff University-my first choice is Bristol but they havn't responded yet

Remus we're debating, not fighting :wink:
Have you been for a test for dyspraxia yet? I found the NHS to be useless in getting me a test and a diagnosis. I had to get mine done privately-we went through my GP twice, and both times I got reffered to the same psychologist who said that there was nothing at all wrong with me!
I like all sorts of animals too (I have one dog and some tropical fish) but some of my favourites include frogs, snakes, spiders, lizards etc. basically all the animals that everyone else hates :lol:

Did you know that carnivorous plants grow wild in this country? Not venus flytraps, but we have 3 species of sundew and 4 species of butterwort here (the ones with the sticky leaves) and two species of bladderworts. They are common bog plants (the bladderworts grow in ponds and lakes though) so keep an eye out for them if you ever go on a trip to a bog or something. :wink:
Dino

Return to Welcome