hi i'm new

Use this forum to announce yourself to the world!

hi i'm new

Postby rmcnair » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:22 pm

hi! my name is Rebekah and im from northern ireland. i found out a few days ago that i probably have dyspraxia and am going to get tested soon, which im ok with as it does explain a lot of things. but im just really confused and stuff :? . i just you know have a few questions cause all this is new to me, i mean i just found out that dyspraxia exist. i want to be a nurse so will this stop me from doing that? im 16 is it normal to be diagnoised this late? so if anyone knows the answers to these questions or you know can explain this condition to me could you reply cause im really confused and scared
rmcnair

Re: hi i'm new

Postby Remus » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:50 am

Hi Rebekah. I'm Remus and welcome to DT. Firstly, let me say it is perfectly okay to feel this way. When you first heard the term "Dyspraxia", it can be quite daunting and certainly confusing as there is a lot of information on it. Just to give you a basic definition of Dyspraxia, it's basically a condition in which messages from and to the brain aren't being transmitted properly and therefore when they reach the body caused problems such as coordination issues, balance trouble etc. It affects a wide range of areas.

16 is certainly not late at all to be diagnosed. I'm 18 and am not diagnosed (and at this rate, never). I'm not going to lie, Dyspraxia does make things harder as we find learning more difficult due to our problems but it's certainly is no excuse to give up on your dreams. If you want to be a nurse, go for it no matter what. Dyspraxia may add a few more obstacles along the journey but work hard and believe you can do and I'm sure you will achieve your dreams.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby russells_teapot » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:07 pm

Hi Rebeka. I'm Megan, and I'm also sixteen. I was fifteen when I was told I had dyspraxia and Asperger's Syndrome - before that I'd just been called 'slow' or 'awkward', so I can understand you when you say it explains a lot of things, as it did for me too. It gave me a bit of a confidence boost as well, as before that I'd thought of myself as quite stupid. But after finding out about Specific Learning Difficulties (that is, dyspraxia, Asperger's, dylsexia and so on) I realised that there are many ways to measure intelligence, and the ability to tie shoelaces and walk in a straight line aren't necessarily the only ones ;)

Dyspraxia basically affects the way your brain plans and carries out physical movement. A dyspraxic person might have with things like trouble catching balls, doing up buttons and writing neatly (which are fine motor skills), and with things like running and keeping their balance (which are gross motor skills). They might also have trouble articulating words properly - I had to have speech therapy when I was younger to make my speech clearer - and have problems with their senses, such as finding certain food textures unbearable to have in their mouth or seeing lights as brighter than they are.

Apparently it's quite common for girls to get late diagnoses as they are better at covering up their problems, developing coping mechanisms and so on and don't 'act out' as much as boys. They tend to just sit quietly in the classroom, never letting on that they are struggling. However if you do have difficulties like dyspraxia, spending your whole life trying to hide them and compensate for them simply doesn't work. So I'm glad your difficulties have been recognised and you're going to get support for them, even if it is a bit late.

Hope this helps!
russells_teapot
Advanced Member

Postby Steph » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:15 pm

Hi Rebekah. My name is Steph and I am 23. I have moderate dyspraxia and Aspergers Syndrome. I was actually diagnosed very early compared to most people with dyspraxia-I was diagnosed at the age of six and then with Aspergers Syndrome at the age of eight. However, like Megan, I have heard that girls with dyspraxia are more likely to receive a late diagnosis than boys. This may be due to the school playground culture in part-lots of boys in primary school play football at break and lunch times and those that visibly struggle with this tend to get picked on and thus their difficulties are noticed a lot earlier than girls who don't usually participate in such physical games. This is only a theory of mine though. As for your ambition to be a nurse, dyspraxia shouldn't have a bearing on that but it is a good idea to let your course tutors know that you have dyspraxia so that they can understand any practical difficulties that arise with the practical nature of nursing. There is a poster on here, Hovis, who is very enthusiastic about becoming a childrens nurse, so he could be able to offer you some more advice on that.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby monkey » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:55 am

welcome. I was also diangosed late.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:25 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !