HI , I'M NEW

Use this forum to announce yourself to the world!

HI , I'M NEW

Postby kebabee » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:31 am

Hi Everyone,
I have a 7 yr old son with dyspraxia. Sorry I am a bit of an oldie crashing your teen website! I really want to help my son and though I have read lots of books etc the only people who can totally understand are all of you. He was diagnosed just before he started primary school and is now in P3. When he was diagnosed he was 1st percentile so has a severe diagnosis.
He is a lovely bright wee boy who tries extremely hard at school and is in the top group for maths and reading/language. But I fear this has come at a terrible price to him. School is a daily struggle for him , though he never speaks out or complains. He is desperate to have friends but the children in class barely tolerate him and it breaks my heart and his. I have been fighting his school for the past 3yrs to get him the help and support he needs and continue to do so.
He is aware he is "different" to the other kids and of the things he cannot do. He knows he has Dyspraxia but nobody other than us has explained what it is and I am not sure the best way to get him to understand it and explain. He is desperate to ride a bike but we have tried every way we know how and have failed so far. He has hypermobility, Kohler's disease and a stomach problem along with being diagnosed recently with Aspergers.

We would not change our son for the world but would love to be able to take away his physical pain. Our main concern just now is that he spends his life wanting to please everyone so never complains about anything, even when in pain, does not speak out in school if he needs help and wants everyone else to be happy when he is obviously not.
Anyway, I hope you don't mind an oldie reading through your posts and joining in now and again. Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.
kebabee

Re: HI , I'M NEW

Postby Ben Jackson » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:19 am

Hi Kebabee,
Welcome to DT.
I'm Ben, I've got bad & verbal dyspraxia and condition that makes my hands wobble when I pick up some things.
B Jackson
Ben Jackson
Splendiferous Member

Postby kebabee » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi Ben,
Thank you for the welcome and reply. I have a benign tremor so know all about wobbly hands. Not sure whether my son is classed as having verbal too but we are waiting to see a speech therapist. It is more because of his tone (can become very high pitched) and when he is tired it is sometimes difficult to understand what he says. Do you enjoy school? (Assume you are still at school). How and at what age were you able to make friends? Is there anything you can advise me to do that would help to make life easier for my son , understand his difficulties a bit better and support him? Please don't feel you have to answer these question's if you feel they are too personal.
Kebabee
kebabee

Postby Steph » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:50 pm

Hiya! I'm Steph and I'm 23. Like your son, I have both dyspraxia and Aspergers Syndrome. I live in Surrey in south east England and I work as a support worker in a residential school for children with severe and complex epilepsy and other neurological and physical disabilities. It is very challenging but I enjoy it and I am getting better at it now! I love animals (I have 3 cats at home), the Internet, learning about other cultures and languages, reading and listening to music. I hope you enjoy the boards and that you find them helpful. Feel free to ask me any questions which could help your son.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby kebabee » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:05 pm

Hiya Steph,
Nice to hear from you. I have been looking through some of the boards and you are all such an inspiration despite all the challenges and difficulties I guess you have to face on a daily basis. It gives me real hope that my son will get through the rough time he is having and learn that he can have a great future too.
I think the real shame is that dyspraxia is not as high profile as other conditions and in general teachers and classroom assistants have got very little knowledge. I have fought my sons school for three years, gone to my MP and the local education authority. He was assessed by a world leading Prof and yet all we constantly hear from the school is "we can't see it". Has to be that they don't want to see it or just don't have a clue as his difficulties are blindingly obvious to everyone else including him. I would love for him to meet or chat with another child in the same situation just to let him know he is not alone.
He loves facts, has a great long term memory , enjoys maths and is a computer geek! He would love to do things like ride a bike but it is impossible at the moment, He is finding it really hard to make friends. He appears very sociable, more so with adults but stands on the outside never quite sure how to make his way in and the ed psych told me recently that after an assessment by her she noted that he is openly shunned by the other children in class. I cried for hours after that. I knew school was a challenge for him but didn't realise quite how hard it is or how miserable he is. He never wants to upset anyone and always wants to please so he keeps things very much to himself. I can see the other mums don't understand his condition though I have tried to explain but we are either met with the leper look or the sympathy tact. Anything you can advise or relate to regarding my post or indeed Hints and tips on anything would be greatly appreciated. I just want to support him as best I can and if I can make things easier for him that that will be great. I am scared that if he doesn't get the help he desperately needs then I am going to loose my lovely little boy, who is ,smart handsome, on the whole very well behaved and funny to an angry , resentful and aggressive wee boy.
kebabee

Postby monkey » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:11 pm

welcome
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby kebabee » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:28 pm

Thank you :)
kebabee

Postby Steph » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:09 pm

Kebabee,
I am sorry that your son's school are not being supportive with regards to your son's diagnoses. All I can really say is that your son will get through this. Life for people with dyspraxia is never straightforward but, with time, he will learn coping strategies that will help him a lot. The only thing I can really suggest is to keep up a strong, supportive relationship with your son as it sounds like the two of you have a very good relationship and this will help your son A LOT. Also, have you thought of encouraging him to join a Maths club? This could help him to make friends as they will have a common interest. It could be an old idea you have already thought about but I'm just suggesting possible solutions.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Remus » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:46 am

Hello, welcome to DT. I'm Remus, I'm 18 and I'm mild dyspraxic (although it's unofficial, trying to get it sorted out). I live in Birmingham, West Midlands where I am currently training to be a zookeeper. I have four cats and one fish and love all sorts of animals! I love books, movies, music, television especially TV series.

Hope you enjoy the boards!
Remus
Site Admin

Return to Welcome