una47 my story

Use this forum to announce yourself to the world!

una47 my story

Postby una47 » Tue May 18, 2010 8:24 pm

Hi
I am 47 so I hope I can join in under granny terms!?

Laura who just joined told me there are others a bit past their teens here as well.

I am a psychologist and a psychotherapist and only discovered I have dyspraxia when I was 46!

Prior to that at 44yrs - I was diagnosed with AD/HD but it did not explain my tendency to bump into things and bruise myself and trip over things on an hourly basis.

Saw a documentary on Dyspraxia and hey Bingo! you know the rest- had the assessment, all confirmed etc etc. I know for me that Dyspraxia is the dominant difficulty or challenge I face - its hard to know for sure if AD/HD is also present or not. I do find that stimulant meds help all aspects including my Dyspraxia stuff - to a significant level.

Still learning so much about it - like layers of an onion, I 'get' different realities about dyspraxia when my brain it ready to deal with it!

Despite pretty dismal school/academic failure in tests and state exams - I went to University as a mature (ish) student - because the criteria for mature students was different - ie I didn't have to have passed my state exams!

I went on to EXCEL at my academic work - gaining first place in my degree subjects and continueing on to Masters level in two post-grad degress including training in a university teaching hospital. All this despite undiagnosed dsypraxia, adhd and considerable LD's.

But it was being able to pace myself and work on my own terms at University 90% of the time that made the difference for me.

So I went from Dunce to Genius on paper....of course the brains were there all along just no-one realised it, least of all myself.

I hope this is inspiring/reassuring for some of you who want to continue on but find school level difficult. College/University is ironically much easier - as you can choose your own degree course and do something that feels relevant to you. Then the odd difficult subject here and there actually becomes manageable in the overall context of the full degree programme.

not great on computers - I tend to hyperfocus on it so I will probably only sign in here occasionally. I am looking forward to reading the stories etc as I have no doubt much wisdom lies in all of your posts.

congrats on the site and to all of you for keeping it going. Thats quite something.

LOL

Una47 :D :D :D
Una47
una47

Re: una47 my story

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed May 19, 2010 9:43 am

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your story,

I am past my teens now (I'm 21- joined when I was 16 and stuck here.)
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby monkey » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:09 pm

welcome. I am 24.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:47 pm

Welcome, Una. :)

Did you used to read my blog, by any chance? When I kept a blog I had a few comments from a psychotherapist with dyspraxia, but she used a different username to Una47.

If you're her, you will already know who I am. If not, my name is Vicky and I'm twenty-three. I came here when I was sixteen as well.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Return to Welcome