Dyspraxic Adults

Use this forum to announce yourself to the world!

Dyspraxic Adults

Postby Danni » Sun May 30, 2010 4:21 pm

Hello :)

I have noticed recently that there has been an influx of new adult members to this forum. Although we are happy to have you, this is a forum for dyspraxic teenagers, and so it is geared towards them. There are some young adults who are regular posters on the forum, but many of us joined as teenagers and just haven't left yet :)

There is another forum called Dyspraxic Adults which you may not be aware of, and may be more suitable if you're slightly beyond your teenage years. They offer support and advice, but on topics that are more relevant to adults.

We don't want to dissuade people from joining if they feel comfortable here, but at the same time we want to make sure this place feels comfortable for our younger members. Of course, if you're still at college, university or have only just stopped being a teenager, you're very welcome :)

If you're the parent of a dyspraxic child or teenager, there is a yahoo group called Dyspraxia Families which may be more suited to your needs.
Last edited by Danni on Sun May 30, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Dyspraxic Adults

Postby Panda_Eyes7 » Sun May 30, 2010 4:24 pm

:cry: ok.
Panda_Eyes7

Postby Danni » Sun May 30, 2010 4:33 pm

I fixed the post, as I didn't make it clear enough what I meant :)
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Sun May 30, 2010 4:37 pm

Chloe, I notice that you are twenty years old and a student at college. I think that you would find DT quite useful. :) You're only just out of your teenage years, and several people here are at the university stage.

Danni has mentioned to me a couple of times that she is concerned by the number of new members who seem to be in their late twenties, thirties, or beyond. At first I didn't see any difference between these new users and those of us who have grown up with the forum. (I was sixteen when DT was created, and I'm in my early twenties now.) But Danni is a mum herself, and she told me that she could imagine parents of teenagers becoming quite worried if they thought that thirty-somethings were joining DT even when there are adult-specific options available. When it was put to me like this, I could see what she meant, so I suggested that she make a thread giving details of parents' fora, adult groups, etc.

The purpose wasn't to make anybody over the age of nineteen feel unwelcome. In fact, some adults post here because they have very good reasons for doing so - for example, there is one woman in her mid-twenties who has a general learning disability (her psychologist considers her to have a mental age of eight, in terms of her social and emotional development) and she finds it easier to talk with people who are younger than herself. That's fine. Some parents come here looking for an insight into what their child might be thinking and feeling. That's fine too. There is no hard-and-fast rule about who can post here - it would just be easier if people knew that different forums exist, so that they can find the one most suited to their needs if DT isn't an obvious fit.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Panda_Eyes7 » Sun May 30, 2010 4:41 pm

Hello,

No worries, Danni sent me a nice message to explain what she meant :)

Thank you :)
Panda_Eyes7

Return to Welcome