Hey, Dan here & my story

Use this forum to announce yourself to the world!

Hey, Dan here & my story

Postby Fenrir » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:56 pm

Hellooo :)

...I never know how to start off writing. Well, my names Daniel. Im 15, and just finishing school now, last exam is on Monday and we had our prom yesterday. my hobbies include IT, music, planes (especially the RAF) and generally having a laugh and good time with my mates.

I have dyspraxia, but im not sure when i was diagnosed, it was around the ages 3-5. I know that instead of crawling i used to bumshuffle everywhere for ages :lol: Im really shy but try to hide it (unsuccessfully), especially in social situations or when doing something new. I was in a speech & language unit from reception until year 4, by which time they thought i had improved enough in my speech and writing that they couldnt help me any more (they did continue to check up on me regularly though, even sending me an easter card in year 7 when i'd moved school).

From year 7, until very recently (and i am ashamed to say this now), i kinda denied my dyspraxia. I continued to tell myself that I no longer had it, and that I was stupid blaming things such as bad coordination, being extremely shy etc on it. I pushed it to the back of my mind until i no longer even believed i had it. All through secondary school, i have often been bullied/teased about how I spoke, about how awkward i would get around groups, how bad I was at most sports etc. Openly, I wouldnt let them know it got to me (most times), but from the years 7-9 it really knocked my confidence. I fell out with close friends due to it, was too worried to go to teachers (my form teacher even called me in to his office to ask me what was wrong, i just made an excuse), and even when i did make friends with other people it was like I was always on my guard around them.

Then, come towards the end of year 9/beggining of year 10, I decided to play footyball with a group of people at Lunch, who i am still close friends with today. Through year 10-11, i chose the IT diploma as a GCSE course, which has really boosted my confidence, along with the help of some other students in it.

I like to think i have learnt a lot these past 6 months. There was this girl i liked, first one i ever have tbh. No matter how much my confidence had improved in the classroom, talking to people was, and still is kinda, another matter. Especially girls. I tried to get the courage to talk to her for 4 months. Everything, I had a close friend helping me, I started jogging, I changed my lifestyle, started looking after myself better, anything to try and get her to notice me. Towards the end of April, I just came out with it and told her I liked her. Rejected of course, which knocked my confidence for a while. :oops:

But, after thinking for a long, hard while, I decided that I am me and I am happy to be, and I would have it no other way. Over the past few weeks, I have been reading up on dyspraxia trying to learn more about it, coming across DT and DA. I have been trying to get myself to register for the past weeks, but I have like the attention span of a drunk goldfish, and this post has taken me an hour and a half to type. I now like a different girl, this one I am more friends with and have talked to a few times in the past. I don’t have a clue how to tell her/If I should/ what to do. I’ve never been out with anyone before.

Anyway, that is me, thanks for reading. It is hard to describe how happy I am that I’ve found somewhere to talk to people who might know how I feel, and whom I can relate to. Plus, I am slowly starting to be more open about my dyspraxia, to the people I trust. So far, I have told 3 of my close friends, who understand. I would like to talk to my mom about it soon as well, as I never really did ask much as a kid, and after I started denying it I didn’t want to talk about it. So yeah, that is next on my to do list for sometime before Christmas.

Edit: wow, i didnt realise i had wrote so much. Its just felt so good opening up, as ive never talked to anyone about it before
Fenrir
Super Poster

Re: Hey, Dan here & my story

Postby abi » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:09 pm

im glad that talking about it has helped, you are always welcome to talk on here, either by posting for all to see, or if it helps, using the PM function. you are always welcome to talk to me, i will always do anything i can to help.

the denying dyspraxia sounds like i was to some extent, i still dont like to use it as an excuse. when i do stuff cos im clumsy, like fall into dicthes or down stairs, i just put myself down about it, and i regularly beat myself about my handwriting.

"attention span of a goldfish" grr im like that too, i hate it.

welcome to the forum, and if there is anything i can do to help, please say.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:47 pm

Hi, it's Beth! (As you should know by now :P )
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Fenrir » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Thanks for the welcome :)

And hey beth :D Still abit...surprised lol :lol:
Fenrir
Super Poster

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:16 pm

I know, me too!
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:42 pm

Hiya! I'm Steph and I'm 23. I have both dyspraxia and Aspergers Syndrome. I live in Surrey in south east England and I work as a support worker in a residential school for children with severe and complex epilepsy and other neurological and physical disabilities. It is very challenging but I enjoy it and I am getting better at it now! I love animals (I have 3 cats at home), the Internet, learning about other cultures and languages, reading and listening to music. I hope you enjoy the boards :D
Steph
Forum God !

Postby bpcooper » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:43 pm

Heya Dan, I'm Benedict and I'm 18 and have Asperger Syndrome and Dyspraxia.
I hope you enjoy the forums :D

I'm into planes and the military too, what's your favorite plane?
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby Fenrir » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:54 am

Hi steph and benedict :) Thanks again for the welcome

bpcooper wrote:Heya Dan, I'm Benedict and I'm 18 and have Asperger Syndrome and Dyspraxia.
I hope you enjoy the forums :D

I'm into planes and the military too, what's your favorite plane?

Ummm depends really what period. For modern fighters, probably the euroFighter typhoon. But for bombers, Either B-2 spirit, or the AC-130 (technically a ground attack aircraft not a bomber, but still... :P )

But for WW2 era, either the p-51 mustang, Hawker Typhoon, or the Go-229 flying wing, for USA,Britain and germany respectivly. Thankfully, the Go didnt get put in to action in time :lol:
Fenrir
Super Poster

Postby bpcooper » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:48 pm

Cool, I like the Typhoon too and lets not even get into the variants of the AC130 like the spooky or the spectre :P
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:17 pm

Welcome to the forum. :)
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Remus » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:02 pm

Hello Dan, welcome to DT. I'm Remus, I'm 18 and I'm mild dyspraxic (although it's unofficial, trying to get it sorted out). I live in Birmingham, West Midlands where I am currently training to be a zookeeper. I have four cats and two fish and love all sorts of animals! I love books, movies, music, television especially TV series.

Hope you enjoy the boards!
Remus
Site Admin

Postby carebear15 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:38 am

I am Jennifer or Jar if you prefer to call me , it doesn't matter.
I found out i have cerebral palsy in July 2010.
I never knew it i just had signs of it an they had mild motor disorder ,poor eye hand coordination and those kind of thintgs but it didn't tell me why and what i had and the name of it. if there was a name and I have mental retardation,adhd,deafness- moderate to severe hearing loss in my left ear and mild to moderate hearing loss in my right ear.
Generalized anxiety disorder,panic disorder,ptsd,sensory issues,tinnitis in my left knee and so i get painful shots in my knee and i get scream in pain.
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to Welcome