hello :)

Use this forum to announce yourself to the world!

hello :)

Postby Alice-88 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi, My names Alice and i'm 22. I've been reading this forum for a while, but have only just built up the courage to make a post.

I was diagnosed with dyspraxia when I was about 5/6, no one has really sat down and explained it to me. I've been bullied throughout school, and moved schools in Year 4 because of it. I always struggled to make friends because of low self esteem and confidence... and generally because how nasty kids can get when they're growing up! I always described myself as 'standing on the outside of a circle and looking in on the crowd' I really wanted to join in with the cool kids games but i didn't know how or if i'd be accepted.

I have denied my dyspraxia throughout my life, and only now very recently have started to accept it. When i was younger i refused that it even existed, that people must be wrong and that i'm not different. All i wanted to be was normal. within the last year or so i told one of my closest friends, and he has been very supportive and understanding. Since then i've gradually started to tell more people. I still worry about peoples reactions though, and how they'll treat me once they know. But so far everyones been really lovely.

Despite dyspraxia, i went to University to do a History and politics degree and have just returned from a 10 week voluntary expedition teaching English and travelling in India.

Alice
Alice-88

Re: hello :)

Postby JamesStanley » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:38 pm

Hi Welcome to the forum I'm James I'm 17 from Stafford. I have Dyspraxia and Asperger Syndrome. I Love Astronomy and Egyptology, I also have a pet Leopard Gecko called Jackie.

Did you have a good time in India?
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Postby wadey » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi. Im Lucy and I have dyspraxia, dyslexia and Irlens. I am 20 years old and love animals.

Welcome to the forum
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Creative » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:48 pm

Hi Alice, welcome to the forum. I'm 27 and was diagnosed with dyspraxia when I was 15.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:11 pm

Hiya! I'm Steph and I'm 24. I have both dyspraxia and Aspergers Syndrome. I live in Surrey in south east England and I work as a support worker in a residential school for children with severe and complex epilepsy and other neurological and physical disabilities. It is very challenging but I enjoy it and I am getting better at it now! I love animals (I have 3 cats at home), the Internet, learning about other cultures and languages, reading and listening to music. I hope you enjoy the boards :D
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Alice-88 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:35 pm

thanks for being so welcoming guys :)

and James, i had the best time ever in India: such an eye opener.

Hope to chat more to you all soon :)

Alice x
Alice-88

Postby 07williamsdj » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:37 pm

Hi im Dan, im 14 and I live in south wales. I enjoy reading, listening to rock music and playing guitar. I am also interested in science and psychology. Welcome and enjoy the forum!!!!
07williamsdj

Postby Remus » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:01 pm

Hello Alice, welcome to DT. I'm Remus, I'm 19 and I'm mild dyspraxic. I live in Birmingham, West Midlands where I am currently training to be a zookeeper, I'm doing an HND in Animal Management. I have four cats and two fish and love all sorts of animals! I love books, movies, music, television especially TV series.

Hope you enjoy the boards!
Remus
Site Admin

Return to Welcome