Hi everyone!

Use this forum to announce yourself to the world!

Hi everyone!

Postby phoenixmiko » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:20 am

I have been reading the discussions on the forum on occasion and have now decided to join in! It will be great to discuss
things with others will listen and understand as well as empathise.

I have had Dyspraxia since I was born, due to being premature; I was three months early and unidentical twin to boot. My twin sister, who would have been a few minutes older than me, died. I survived. The awareness that I was 'different' was always there even at a young age but I didn't know why I was like that until I was told about having the learning difficulty around the age of nine. It put a label on my being different and whilst it helped to define the reason for it (as well as why I kept having to practice going up and down stairs with the class helper everyday, why I was taken out of lessons at times to be alone with a grouchy, strict and harsh old female teacher who always shouted out at me in an empty classroom to do work and have sessions, why people bullied me and why I had to keep going to the hospital to see that strange nurse...my occupational therapist I was to find out later), I no longer believed myself to be a unique kid ("there's nobody as special as me because there's only one me!" my thoughts at the time beforehand XD). That has stayed with me ever since. It changed everything for me. I accept that it's part of who I am and I am coming to accept that I am still special and unique whatever the barriers which beset me.

I had little to no help in junior school (did have some understanding teachers though) and no aid whatsoever in secondary school (my choice as I wanted to deal with it myself, plus their SPLD unit only covered Dyslexia although the bullying got worse - I was even assaulted once but I digress). It was only at college that I got help if I needed it and found out about the DSA, which I'm currently taking advantage of - it's great! At college, I experienced no bullying at all. For the first time in the twelve years I had been in education, nobody insulted or assaulted me. I can't tell you how much of a relief that was. I also made new friends and got along with my classmates (as in, I never got the feeling they were faking their friendliness, were going to bully me or were laughing behind my back) as I was able to talk to my peers without fearing mockery or nastiness. University is pretty much the same as college so I've been going from strength to strength. I still have occasional issues with my siblings and my parents though and I need to accept that they will never truly understand me because they don't have Dyspraxia.

Anyhow, enough rambling about my disability! XD A little about me... I live in Hampshire. My hobbies include writing, reading, singing, drawing manga/anime, playing the alto saxophone, listening to music, playing tunes by ear, horses, films, hanging out with my friends and talking. I am a big anime and manga fan! :D I love languages and travelling, especially going on holiday to different countries. The language and culture of Japan fascinates me in particular. I'm studying it at the moment (although I taught myself from eleven, I've only had real tuition for three years in Japanese as took a course in college and now in uni). I have spoken and learned French for sixteen years (started as a toddler) and have done so for Spanish too but for five years. I know a tiny bit of Russian and Mandarin as well. I always won the award for the best linguist in my year at school every year and was told that I have a natural gift for languages, so I guess I must with all of the languages I know (can speak three more or less fluently).
phoenixmiko

Re: Hi everyone!

Postby Remus » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:08 pm

Hello, welcome to DT. I'm Remus, I'm 19 and I'm mild dyspraxic. I live in Birmingham, West Midlands where I am currently training to be a zookeeper, I'm doing an HND in Animal Management. I have four cats and two fish and love all sorts of animals! I love books, movies, music, television especially TV series. I am one of the moderators for DT so please do ask if you need any help.

Hope you enjoy the boards!
Remus
Site Admin

Postby galexy96 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:16 pm

Hi, I'm glad you enjoy school now. I think it is very impressive with the amount of languages you can speak, i'm hopeless at languages :lol:

I'm Lucy, i'm 15 and in year 11 at school. I'm interested in science and astronomy. I love rock music, I have 1 cat called Jacko(after Micheal Jackson ). I also have a corn snake called Frankie.

Welcome to the forum :D
galexy96
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby lycanfist » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:27 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum :D

I'm Hamzah, and I love manga and anime as well :), especially fullmetal alchemist and hunter x hunter, have you heard of them? :D
"You are what you dare" - The didact, halo cryptum
I am the worlds biggest Halo, and hunter x hunter fan :D
http://www.youtube.com/lycanfist
http://www.twitter.com/lycanfist
lycanfist
Super Poster

Postby wadey » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi i'm lucy. I am 20 and work with disabled children. I was diagnosed with dyspraxia when i was about 3, i also have dyslexia so just ignore my spellings. I love animals and have plenty of animals of my own: 13 guinea pigs, 1 rabbit, 1 snake, 1 chinchilla and 2 cats (the one in the picture is called hector) sharks are my favourite animals! I also like writing stories and poems. Welcome to the forum hope you will enjoy it here.
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:09 pm

Hiya! I'm Steph and I'm 24. I have both dyspraxia and Aspergers Syndrome. I live in Surrey in south east England and I work as a support worker in a residential school for children with severe and complex epilepsy and other neurological and physical disabilities. It is very challenging but I enjoy it and I am getting better at it now! I love animals (I have 3 cats at home), the Internet, learning about other cultures and languages, reading and listening to music. I hope you enjoy the boards :D
Steph
Forum God !

Postby JamesStanley » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:03 pm

Hello I'm James I am 18 years old, from Stafford I Like Egyptology and Reptiles, I have a pet leopard gecko named Jacki. I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia when I was about 6 and Asperger's a couple of months ago I joined this forum at the end of 2009 and I am now one of the forum Moderators. So if you have any problems or concerns you can contact me.

Welcome to the Forum
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Postby 07williamsdj » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:12 pm

im Dan, im 15 and I live in south wales. I enjoy reading, listening to rock music and playing guitar. I am also interested in science, ICT and psychology. Welcome to the forum!!!!
07williamsdj

Postby Creative » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Hi Welcome to the forum. I'm Jess and I'm 27. I like cats, reading and watching tv. I volunteer at my local library which I really enjoy.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby monkey » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:18 am

welcome!
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby phoenixmiko » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:51 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

As for pets, I have six cats at home (one for each family member). My cat is fairly young and is a short-haired tortoise shell called Tsuki, after the Japanese word for moon. She is half Turkish Fan and half Ragdoll. Tsuki is an attention-seeker, affectionate, nutty as a fruitcake and cute.

lycanfist, it's good to see a fellow anime and manga fan. I have heard of Hunter x Hunter but never read or watched it. I have heard of Fullmetal Alchemist as I love it loads! Both Brotherhood and the first series, as well as the manga, are great. I met Vic Mignogna, the voice actor for Edward in the English dub, at this year's October MCM Expo. :D
phoenixmiko

Return to Welcome