Hi I'm a parent seeking advice

Use this forum to announce yourself to the world!

Hi I'm a parent seeking advice

Postby Bart » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:17 pm

I'm a parent of a 12 yo dyspraxic girl. Abby is a beautiful girl full of love, fun and laughter and a unique sense of humour. However, like many dyspraxics she has problems with getting organised, especially in the morning in the rush to get to school. We have tried discussing the issue, incentives & encouragement, praise for doing well, rosters with ticks and crosses, threats of losing priveliges (mainly pocket money), and I'm ashamed to say getting angry at her. It's not that Abby doesn't like school, although I know it can be tough for her (pe, mean girls & boys, getting her work done in time etc) however generally she seems to quite enjoy it and looks forward to it and is quite motivated about her schoolwork. It's just getting organised in time in the morning to get there. I find I have to monitor her progress continually and remind her of the next thing to do (e.g. get dressed, have breakfast, brush teeth, pack bag etc - every morning!) otherwise she just gets distracted and 'fluffs around' and next thing it's time to go. But I don't want to be constantly nagging her and treating her like a child, she is becoming an adolescent and it seems inappropriate and demeaning. So.... what would other teens here with dyspraxia (or parents) suggest might work for a parent trying to help a dyspraxic girl of this age get ready for school?
Bart

Re: Hi I'm a parent seeking advice

Postby wadey » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi

What I would suggest is that she get her bag pack the night before so that is one less thing to worry about in the morning and get her clothes laid out all ready fot the next morning. If she takes lunches with her to school, then make it the night before and put it in the fridge. By getting the things ready the night before then that is less things to worry about and therefore less stress to remember things which in return will help with things which she has to do in the morning. Also please don't threaten with consequence and this will likely to put a lot of stress on her and also make her feel like a failure as she can't help it. Also if your daughter want to talk to other dyspraxic people then she is very welcomed on here.
Hope this have helped
wadey
Site Admin

Re: Hi I'm a parent seeking advice

Postby Bart » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:04 pm

Thanks Wadey, great ideas. We do some things the night before, although after Abby's done her homework we like to give her free time to relax and we try not to demand /nag her too much then. Probably means we parents need to be a bit more organised ourselves!
Aprreciated the thought about not threatening her out with consequences, it's easy to forget how hard it must be. She needs our support, encouragement and patience while having some responsibility without it being too much.
thx
B
Bart

Return to Welcome