Hello, I'm new!

Use this forum to announce yourself to the world!

Hello, I'm new!

Postby linnetswings » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Hi! So as the subject title says, I'm new on the forum (and kind of new to dyspraxia in general). I'm a female student at uni in England, reading History for my degree and pretty much everything else for fun! Sadly, I'm no longer a teen (but only by a few months) and have yet to adjust to this new world of being in your TWENTIES. Scary times.

I was first officially diagnosed with dyspraxia in October when I'd just started university and was 19. After a lifetime of general difficulties with clumsiness and slowness in education, things started change in secondary school. One of my old teachers summed up general opinion of me by saying, "We thought you were just dim or lazy!" To be fair, there's quite of lot of truth in that statement! I'd had special exam arrangements following an ed psych appointment a few months before my GCSEs but my assessor was loathe to diagnose dyspraxia considering that at the ripe old age of 15 little could be done in the way of occupational therapy. Like most people, I've muddled along with admittedly mild difficulties (apparently taught myself lots of coping mechanisms) but moving to a different part of the UK (and indeed a different country!) for university knocked me for six so I've recently taken up disability support at university.

So there's my life story! I'm feeling better about organisation and workload for my second year at uni and am enjoying a summer of relaxation, reading, travel and youth work! I spend a lot of my time panicking about what to do with the rest of my life but try not to let the jobs market and my complete inability to do manual jobs get me down. I enjoy rubbish tv, terrible horror films, ice cream, toast and chatting for far too long. I'm a massive show-off when it comes to terrible singing and dancing and spend too much of my time falling over and then laughing hysterically about it. I like writing fiction and taking the day out to go to areas of minor historical interest as well as boring my friends senseless by being pretentious about Russian literature.
Last edited by linnetswings on Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
linnetswings

Re: Hello, I'm new!

Postby wadey » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:31 pm

hi im lucy and im 21. I have dyspraxia, dyselixa and irlens syndorome. I love animals and have 1 chinchilla, 3 cats, 11 guinea-pigs and 1 bearded dragon. I also like writing stories and poems. I work with disablied adults which is really good fun but hard work.

Welcome to the forum, hope you will like it here. I am on of the moderates so if you need any help feel free to ask
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:31 pm

Hiya! I'm Steph and I'm 25. I have both dyspraxia and Aspergers Syndrome. I live in Surrey in south east England and I work as a support worker in a residential school for children with severe and complex epilepsy and other neurological and physical disabilities. It is very challenging but I enjoy it and I am getting better at it now! I love animals (I have 3 cats at home), the Internet, learning about other cultures and languages, reading and listening to music. I hope you enjoy the boards :D PS. I am sure you are neither dim nor lazy!
Steph
Forum God !

Postby galexy96 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:36 am

Hi, I am Lucy, I am 16 and in year 11 at school. My interests include astronomy, science, reading, searching the internet and psychology. I also enjoy listening to rock music. I live in Essex in South East England and I have a pet cat called Jacko (named after Michael Jackson ) and some fish.
Welcome, You seem like you would fit right in here :D
galexy96
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Remus » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:08 pm

Hello, welcome to DT. I'm Remus, I'm 20 and I'm mild dyspraxic. I live in Birmingham, West Midlands where I am currently training to be a zookeeper, I'm doing an HND in Animal Management. I have four cats and two fish and love all sorts of animals! I love books, movies, music, television especially TV series. I am one of the moderators for DT so please do ask if you need any help.

Hope you enjoy the boards!
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Dan D Lyons » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:27 pm

Hello, im Dan and im 16 and I live in south Wales. PM me if you would like to chat, ask stuff or whatever. Welcome to the forum, I think you will find it great here :) .

07williamsdj Nov 15, 2010 - Jul 11, 2012
Dan D Lyons
Mega Poster

Postby JamesStanley » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:42 pm

Hi I'm James I'm 19 years old I was diagnosed with dyspraxia when I was about 6 years old and diagnosed with Aspergers last year I Have 6 tattoos and a pet leopard gecko called Jacki. I'm also a moderator on here so if you have any questions or need any help you can message me.

James
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Postby spike » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:22 pm

hello my name is Spike and Im dyspraxic. I've got to use a communication aid to talk but am learning slowly to talk. i love music and i will be happy to talk about that. i am 15 years old and am excited to join this forum as i get lonely sometimes. i don't feel like I've done anything much in my life as myself had really bad experience of school but I'm now making good progress being home schooled.
i need friends to discuss teenage things with. look forward to making good ends.
spike

Postby Dan D Lyons » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:22 pm

Hello spike, welcome to the forum. You should make yourself a new thred, it will make you noticed more easily. PM me if you want to talk or ask anything.
07williamsdj Nov 15, 2010 - Jul 11, 2012
Dan D Lyons
Mega Poster

Postby wadey » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:12 pm

hi im lucy and im 21. I have dyspraxia, dyselixa and irlens syndorome. I love animals and have 1 chinchilla, 3 cats, 11 guinea-pigs and 1 bearded dragon. I also like writing stories and poems. I work with disablied adults which is really good fun but hard work.

Welcome to the forum, hope you will like it here. I am on of the moderates so if you need any help feel free to ask
wadey
Site Admin

Return to Welcome