Hi, I'm new to this, please be kind. advice would be great.

Use this forum to announce yourself to the world!

Hi, I'm new to this, please be kind. advice would be great.

Postby forever_mars » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:44 pm

Hello!

I'm Jen, I'm nearly 18 and yesterday I was diagnosed with dyspraxia AND asperger's. Not really sure how to feel yet. I feel slightly relieved yet can't stop crying. I worry that other people, especially people I've known for a long time, won't believe me. They'll think I'm just making excuses for being clumsy and 'lazy' etc.

Would really like to hear how other people felt when they were first diagnosed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
forever_mars

Re: Hi, I'm new to this, please be kind. advice would be gre

Postby Dan D Lyons » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:30 pm

Firstly, you are exactly the same as before the diagnosis but you can choose to get help for any difficulties you have. Secondly, people are a lot more accepting about these kind of things than you think. A lot of people just accept it and some people are interested and ask some questions, and they definately don't think you are making excuses. PM if you want to talk to me more and if you want more support *cwtches*
07williamsdj Nov 15, 2010 - Jul 11, 2012
Dan D Lyons
Mega Poster

Postby Steph » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:31 pm

Hiya! I'm Steph and I'm 26. I have both dyspraxia and Aspergers Syndrome. I live in Surrey in south east England and I work as a support worker in a residential school for children with severe and complex epilepsy and other neurological and physical disabilities. It is very challenging but I enjoy it and I am getting better at it now! I love animals (I have 3 cats at home), the Internet, learning about other cultures and languages, reading and listening to music. I hope you enjoy the boards :D

PS. I was diagnosed with dyspraxia at 6 and Aspergers at 8 so diagnosis didn't really bother me but I have gone through periods in my life where I have felt very down and felt that people thought I was making excuses so I can empathise to an extent with how you must be feeling. The people that know you best will know your difficulties anyway, even without a diagnosis, and anyone else isn't really worth bothering with to be honest.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:32 pm

By anyone else, I meant people who think you are making excuses. However, as Dan D Lyons mentioned, the overwhelming response I get to my difficulties is interest.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby forever_mars » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:29 pm

Thank you both. I haven't been back to college so I am yet to properly tell people. I'm currently telling my best friend and his immediate reaction was "are you sure?". So THAT was great :| However, I explained further and he seems to be okay, just thinks I'm the same as always. Which I am. It's just hard to see it that way.

I hope you are both right and people will accept it
forever_mars

Postby wadey » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:17 am

hi im lucy and im 22. I have dyspraxia, dyselixa and irlens syndorome. I love animals and i have 3 cats, 8 guinea-pigs, 1 bearded dragon an 1 dog. I also like writing stories and poems. I work with disablied adults which is really good fun but hard work.
Welcome to the forum, hope you will like it here. I am on of the moderates so if you need any help feel free to ask

I was 3 years old when diagnosed with dyspraxia so the diagnoses didn't really bother me but was 18 years old when diagnosed with irlens and dyslexia for me i felt rather relieveld knowning that it not because 'i'm lazy that i cant spell' but because of dyselxia.

As for people accepting that you have dyspraxia and aspergers i have to agree what Dan D lyons and Steph have said
wadey
Site Admin

Return to Welcome