Can other people read your handwriting?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Can other people read your handwriting?

Yes
31%
No
23%
It depends on how hard they are willing to try
46%

Total votes : 35

Re: Can other people read your handwriting?

Postby olivia5 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:11 pm

My handwriting can be neat but i never hold my pen right. I prefer to use a laptop now and when i write it really messy sometimes i can never read it either. When i was in primary school they did lots of things to improve my handwriting, nothing never worked and made me try to turn my page slanted. As i don't hold my pen right i find my hand gets really tired really quickly and this is not good when trying to write a essay at school. Anyone else don't hold there pen right? Does anyone else have really big handwriting and i've always been told to write smaller in earlier years at school?
olivia5
Advanced Member

Postby carizza » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:45 am

I think the only person who can perfectly read my handwriting is my mum. At school its kind of hard though because even my teachers find it really hard to read it and it feels suck because most of the time I get F on my exams because of my handwriting.
carizza
Advanced Member

Postby likeasheep » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:10 pm

carizza wrote:I think the only person who can perfectly read my handwriting is my mum. At school its kind of hard though because even my teachers find it really hard to read it and it feels suck because most of the time I get F on my exams because of my handwriting.

If you're getting Fs on your exams for your handwriting, you need to go and have a full assessment where they will assess your needs for an exam and how to make it so that you're not at this severe disadvantage! Hope that helped. :)
likeasheep

Postby Steph » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:58 pm

Carizza,
That is not right and not fair. Your exams should be marked on the content of your answer and how you express your knowledge rather than what your handwriting looks like. Unfortunately, I know that the average exam marker does not have the time to decipher the handwriting of a candidate with dyspraxia as they have a very heavy workload (I used to be a regular poster on a forum for teachers and some of them were GCSE and A Level exam markers and they would have up to 200 scripts at a time). This is why I think you should speak to your SENCO about the possibility of either having a scribe, a written or typed transcript or the use of a laptop during exams (although the exam board will usually only approve the use of a laptop if it's how you usually work in lessons). You will have to do a few tests so that they can assess what you are entitled to but it is possible to get high grades in exams even with abysmal handwriting. My handwriting is truly awful and I got 10 GCSEs at Grade C or above, including 3 As, because I had a transcript of all my exam papers.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby olivia5 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:35 pm

I've just been assesed to get a scribe. Trust me it's worth it! I find out this week if I am entiltled to one but it's worth being assesed. I really hope I do because it would benefit me for subjects which I cannot use a laptop e.g for Bioligy, chemistry, physics. I would recomend it and I know the test is very long but at least they can see what your entiled too!

I hope this helps!
olivia5
Advanced Member

Postby Dilos » Mon May 30, 2011 10:43 pm

I'm new here and only just starting getting the ball rolling. For years i struggled with handwritting asking for help but teachers never took me seriously because all though was hard for them to decipher they still took the time because of the content, i remeber one GCSE practice paper where i got a C/b but the teacher commented saying ti took her three times the amount of time to read it and if it carried on i'd never get a C. Thankfully must of had nice exam markers cause my lowest GCSE was a B and i only got two of them :)

Anyway what got ball rolling on dyspraxia was when i looked at hand writing issues and found it could of been vaguely dyslexic or dyspraxic which i didn't know existed till i got to uni. So i got a dyslexia test where it was commented that my hard writing when i took my time was perfectly ledgeable but thats only cause i slowed down my speed and concentrated due to that section of the dyslexia assessment being spelling and this was a strain mentally and physically though the assessor put it down to my small pencil i was using but i use them cause they free from ikea and i feel most comfortable using them lol. When it came to free writing i had to read to her what it said because she didn't understand it, so now i get a computer for my tests though a minor problem with that is at uni most of them are maths so its normally better to be written. So now just waiting to see if dyspraxia can help explain my troubles cause when reading the symptoms it just described my life almost.

Ok i wrote an essay i'm really bad at staying on topic sorry
Dilos

Postby Dyspraxic bear » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:48 pm

No one can read my scrawl apart from my mum and history English German French and Mathis teacher I can't hold a pen and my fingers slip down down down under the nib sometimes I can't read it and I get wrist pains sometimes I think i have something half decent and am proud then look at the person next to me and want to cry myyr4 teacher was lovely she understood I hadn't been diagnosed and she gave me ha dwriting books and stickers and praised neatness for me not normal neatness I love stickers I am obsessed with them though people think its babyish
Dyspraxic bear
Power Poster

Postby nathanw-j » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:12 am

people can if they try, but they rarely try
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby HappyAndBouncy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:19 pm

I think my handwriting is great but my mum cant read it and most of my teachers can only read it through years of experience. Recently I was told my six year old brothers handwriting was better than mine.
HappyAndBouncy

Postby Paddington » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:11 pm

People can not read my had writing- well they rarely try. My spelling is also atrocious and so even if they can just about decipher something how I spell the word get them stumped. If I want someone to understand something it takes about 10 minutes and a throbbing hand to write about 4 lines of just about legible writing. I used this writing once in a maths lesson and my friend saw it. In a really shocked voice she said I can read your writing!. My brother can decipher my scrawl (He has dispraxic tendencies) for the simple reason you cant tell our writing apart it is scarily similar. It always comforts me to know I can always easily forge his signature on documents and other things :)
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby Scarlett » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:15 pm

It's unreadable unless I do it really slowly. Sometimes I can't read it, sometimes I can if I squint. Every year at open evening the comments would be `hand writing and presentation need improvement`except for this year becasue I use a laptop.
Scarlett

Postby kitty123 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:48 pm

even i can't read my own writing never mind anybody else. This is why computers exist :)
"dyspraxia made me who i am today without it life would be boring (the little lifts you get when you manage to to an simple "everyday task like pouring juice without spills )" [/color]
kitty123
Super Poster

Previous

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat