Do I qualify for DLA? (Or help from social)

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Do I qualify for DLA? (Or help from social)

Postby Kirbster12 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:53 pm

I'm only 14, but I've recently been thinking about my future (Uni, moving out, etc.) and I wondered if I would qualify for DLA?
I have trouble with a lot of things:
1.) General housework and chores (cooking, tidying up,that stuff)
2.) Holding a conversation with strangers (at the supermarket, in town)
3.) I have ummm... Bladder 'issues' (you know what I mean) I have quite frequent accidents
4.) Going out. My sister (11) loves to go out to the town, but I am terrified at the thought of it and I hate leaving the house
5.) Physically getting to certain places. I have ashma and dyspraxia (as well as huge bunions) and sometimes I find walking painful
6.) Organisation. (At school, I always have about a zillion essays and pieces of homework to do) Even though we have homework diaries, (I've lost mine, surprise, surprise), I just get so caught up in the day, I can't remember anything at home
7.) I have anger isssues. sometimes I feel like I want to punch someone's face in. I was surprisingly violent at primary school
8.) Sleep. I always lie awake for hours, thinking about depressing things (I can't stop myself!)
What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring. ~ Sherlock :)

City Council would like to remind everyone that dogs are not allowed in the dog park. People are not allowed in the dog park...
Kirbster12
Forum Master

Re: Do I qualify for DLA? (Or help from social)

Postby wadey » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:43 pm

I'm not too sure but it always worth applying
wadey
Site Admin

Postby galexy96 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:07 pm

I agree with Wadey, you might as well apply as the worst that can happen is they say no.
galexy96
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Super Nekou » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:28 pm

It would be worth applying, I'm not sure how it would go though. I've been told not to bother considering though the nurse who told me doesnt know all of my difficulties. If it makes you feel less alone I'm 20 and I cannot cook a meal for myself nor do I function well outside in the social world >_> if it wasnt for my boyfriend I'd be seriously stuck in the future.
The Doctor: Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many.
Tumblr
Super Nekou
Forum Master

Postby Helen » Thu May 05, 2011 12:06 pm

I am a bit late seeing this one, but just to let you know it is worth applying, as some people with dyspraxia do qualify. If you are under 18 ( I believe, but it could be under 16) a parent or guardian must apply and if you qualify, receives the benefit on your behalf. The form is long and complicated and you have to complete it in detail and in a specific way, so the form reveiwer can understand how dyspraixa impacts on your life. You will also need to have part of the form completed by a professional who is not related to you, so either your GP, educational psychologist or special needs co-ordinator.The following link may be useful when it comes to completing the form, but also Citizens advice can help.
http://www.dls.org.uk/advice/factsheet/ ... tsheet.pdf

All the best with it.

Helen :)
This we know the earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.
Helen
Mega Poster

Postby k9ruby » Tue May 10, 2011 1:26 am

Helen, its under 16 from what I remember when I had my idefinate assessment. From 16 onwards it needs to go into your own bank account from what I remember too.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Laura19 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:44 pm

You may be entitled to it I got it when I was 19 so its worth a try!
Laura19
Power Poster

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips