Sleep trouble

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Sleep trouble

Postby eeyore » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:42 am

I have a lot of trouble with sleep. This is why I am on the internet at nearly 3am lol. Is it a dyspraxic thing? Can I fix it?
eeyore

Re: Sleep trouble

Postby xFCJ1995 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:23 pm

I'd recommend seeing your GP. I've had quite severe sleep problems, leading to me being sleep deprived the majority of the time, and this combined with other issues led me to being prescribed melatonin tablets, as melatonin is the hormone which induces sleep, and I clearly lack! Since being prescribed these my sleep has improved drastically - I'm not saying that you need them, because different people need different treatments, I'm simply saying there are things your doctor can do to help.

However, there are also things you can do yourself to help yourself sleep:
1. Don't eat in the hour before you go to bed, as your body will still be digesting the food, thus keeping you awake
2. Try not to use your bedroom for watching television or doing homework, as separating yourself from these things will allow your brain to switch off
3. Find something that relaxes you to do before you go to bed, i.e. a nice bubble bath
4. Try reading or listening to calm music before going to bed to relax yourself

I hope this helps,
Feel free to ask for any more tips :)
xFCJ1995
Advanced Member

Postby Dizzy D » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:33 pm

I know where your coming from. It can take me hours to get to sleep, and I'm never comfatable. If I do manage to get to sleep I kick around so much that by the time I wake up the quilt is inside out and back to front (this has actually happened, how I do not know.) and when I wake up I'm still tired!
Being dyspraxic dosen't make life hard, it makes it interesting
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Postby Alice » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:50 pm

I suffered from insomnia (ie. problems getting to sleep) quite badly when I was younger. As far as we can tell, it was a combination of anxiety and my hormones being a bit messed up because of my age. We tried chamomile tea, and baths, and excercise to tire me out, and pretty much everything. Eventualy, I tried meletonin which helped me hugely, but some doctors in the UK do not like you to have it if you're still growing (it's over the counter in the US, to help with jetlag, I beleive). What helped the most was just getting older and my natrual levels of the hormone rebalancing.

These days I only have trouble sleeping due to either noise or anxiety (or both). I do the following in these instances:
I drink spearmint tea, because the routine of making and drinking a cup of tea is relaxing and it doesn't have caffine (I also like it a lot), in the evenings.
I try to get to bed before 10 when stressed (this is not always practical).
I wear earplugs in bed, though this is admitadly little use against loud drunks outside.
On ocasions where I have a few sleepless nights in a row, I have a drink before bed. Luckily sleep deprivation is now rare enough that I can do this without worrying about alcoholism.

When not stressed these days, I can go to sleep pretty much on command (need 3-8 mins notice though).
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Zoee » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:53 pm

When i was younger i could never sleep, it took me hours, i wasnt comfortable and felt so awake,
when i was in about year 7 and year 8 i actually got decent amounts of sleep, then year nine came and ive survived nearly the whole year going to bed from anything between half eleven to 2 am, i think i just adjusted to it after so long :D it could be a dyspraxia thing, seeing as theres quite a few of us with the same kind of thing... Xxx
One Advantage Of Being Disorderly Is That One Is Constantly Making New Discoveries - Winnie The Pooh <3
Zoee

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat