Headaches

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Re: Headaches

Postby sparda222 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:01 pm

I allways feel sick in the morning, like when you feel hungry pain but really bad only goes when I have food
sparda222

Postby k9ruby » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:43 am

Personally I find florescent lights give me headaches- especially the ones in our liberary- they flicker so much and I often have to go in a separate room which you can turn them all off and its much nicer :)
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby sparda222 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:17 pm

yeah I can't stand light in supermarkets.
sparda222

Postby sparda222 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:17 pm

yeah I can't stand light in supermarkets.
sparda222

Postby Alice » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:10 pm

I know what you mean about mornings.

Every morning for the past year I've woken up thirsty to the point of it being painful. Sometimes I get a sharp pain the first time I drink someting in the morning. By the end of the second glass I am normally feeling much better but sometimes it takes a litre. This is especially odd since I have actually been drinking enough for the first time. Mabye this is normal but I just couldn't recognise thirst well enough before.

Not sure about hungry though. That usually takes an hour to kick in and isn't so extreme.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dizzy D » Tue May 04, 2010 4:07 pm

Hi, this is my first post :D . I usaly feel sick wen I get up and I always get head aches when I try to do to much and get stressed hoever I do have glasses!
Being dyspraxic dosen't make life hard, it makes it interesting
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Postby una47 » Tue May 18, 2010 9:06 pm

Hi all headache sufferers......

I am a psychologist with dyspraxia myself. Thankfully have never had the headache but for what it's worth - here's what I suggest:

What I call the 'Dyspraxic Body' - our posture, co-ordination etc are us - usually not great. Over time this can lead to muscle tensions, wear and tear through bad habits in movement etc. This type of muscle spasm/tension can lead to headaches - the pain is referred on so you dont realize its caused by a tight neck muscle (or whatever muscle).

Physiotherapy is sooooo important for managment of dyspraxia. Once the problems which have built up over years manifest as headaches - physio or physical therapy (I personally recc physical therapists generally and my clients with dyspraxia swear by the guy I recc.) is needed to get the spine, pelvis, hips, neck back into good shape. Then yoga or pilates or swimming etc can maintain the good posture etc.

One client had headaches consistently for 4 years - 5-7 days a week. When there was no physical cause found she was treated (quite wrongly as it turns out) by the psychiatric profession. thankfully she found her way to me and I recc physical therapy - her headaches are 100% gone after 4 months of physical therapy - initially once a week and later once every two weeks etc. She is now totally headache free for the first time in 4 years.

Research has also indicated a link between muscular strain etc and headaches in Dyspraxia (see Danda and an article on physiotherapy for dyspraxia).

AS for waking and feeling nauseaus - it could be linked to muscular/headaches -but I wonder are you eating enough for your blood sugars to remain constant during the night.

I think we are prone to allergies, food intolerances, ailments, blood sugar changes - ie due to the sensitive nature of our brain chemistry/nervous system. Perhaps try eating a protein sandwich before bedtime - turkey, chicken, egg or cheese (yes, Cheese!) - the protein keeps the blood sugars constant during the night and you may find you wake feeling more refreshed and not nauseaus.

I would be very interested to hear back if this worked for you guys if you try it!!

cheers
Una47
una47

Postby Alice » Tue May 18, 2010 9:21 pm

hmm, I can generaly tell the difference between muscular and dehydration headaches...
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby lirael101 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:01 pm

I have more or less permanent headaches. I am short sighted but I never wear my glasses for any length of time cause it makes my peripheral vision hurt (yes I know that makes no sense). I used to have fairly major problems with dyspraxia. I know it took me longer than usual to learn how to talk, and even noe I put my hand *through* instead of around things. I find keeping up on your sleep helps both clumsiness and headaches but that might just be me.
Be yourself, don't take sh** from anyone, and never let them take you alive.
lirael101

Postby Wolf Spirit » Sat May 14, 2011 7:53 am

I often get headache. Not like every day, but quite a bit, such as when I'm scared...or playing video games too long.
Pinkie Pie is best pony!
Wolf Spirit
Forum Master

Previous

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips