Friends who don't understand

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Friends who don't understand

Postby olivia5 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:57 pm

Hi,

I have friends at school who aren't considerate and don't realize how hard it is for me to do everyday things.

My SENCO and my spanish teacher decided that me and my friend were going to get an extra two weeks to prepare for a spanish speaking and we got quite a bit of remarks about this and my spanish teacher tried to explain to them, at that moment I wanted to hide because they were so angry at us because they only have a week to do it in and they weren't considerate and how hard i work to get the same out of what they do.

Also my SENCO and my P.E teacher have sorted out P.E for me , and some girls who i would thought be more considerate than they were keep saying to me "you never do P.E", i try to explain to them and they keep going on about it all day to me (when it's a P.E day) i try to explain but they just don't listen and it gets me really frustrated.

My SENCO and P.E teacher are making a rota of friends to help me every week after easter and i've been finding it hard to ask people because so far people have been so un considerate and i feel upset and i would love to be able to do all the sports that they could do and look normal as well, it really fustrates me because all the girls know i have dyspraxia in my year they just don't understand how hard it is for me.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
olivia5
Advanced Member

Re: Friends who don't understand

Postby Super Nekou » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:49 am

I was lucky as only my friends noticed I was missing from P.E, nobody else really cared I was missing. A few asked eventually but I never told them the real reason. I never told my friends it was hard for me to do everyday things, you should decide if it's worth trying to explain or not. At the end of the day do they really need to know? I would've never told half my class why I had to do exams in other places or why I missed P.E, would've led to more hassle than good.
Perhaps you could consult your SENCO for some advice on this? Could say you're having some problems with people being awkward.
The Doctor: Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many.
Tumblr
Super Nekou
Forum Master

Postby olivia5 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:29 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the advice i'll talk to my SENCO about this.
olivia5
Advanced Member

Postby olivia5 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:35 pm

Hi,

i spoke to my SENCO last thursday about this and she gave me two options either my SENCO and i and a few friends speak about it (the ones who don't understand) or my head of year and me will speak about it to all the girls in my year. I'm not sure which ones is better?

Any suggestions here?

Thanks!
olivia5
Advanced Member

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:41 pm

I think it's a better idea to tell everyone in your year, not just your friendship group. This way, everyone will be able to understand, so there might be a chance of less bullying.
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby olivia5 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:31 pm

Hi,

Yes this seems a good idea :/

thanks!
olivia5
Advanced Member

Postby olivia5 » Thu May 12, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi,

Right it's my first p.e lesson tomorrow and my SENCO has given me the option again and i'm still not sure because in year 8 i told my year about dyspraxia but i know about 5 more people have joined and they keep asking me and i don't know what to do still and i need to let my SENCO know what to do because i need more people for my rota for people ughh. If i did is there anything i could show them to make them understand more clearer how i feel what it's about?

Thanks!!
olivia5
Advanced Member

Postby abi » Sun May 15, 2011 7:10 am

i think that when people dont understand, sometimes, you can inform them, but many people (often young people) wont understand, or make any effort to understand no matter what you can show them, but sometimes the best thing to do, is find your true friends, stick with them, and just do your best you can in evrything, maybe avoiding things like team sports, where you can feel like you are letting others down, and just do what you can with the rest. thats the method i used, and although i found it difficult and embarrasing while i was doing it, i am much more capable now as a result. i fond that if i had a long term goal, i could focus on that, and it made the difficulties so much easier.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby lirael101 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:48 pm

This may be a really dumb question, but what's a SENCO?
Be yourself, don't take sh** from anyone, and never let them take you alive.
lirael101

Postby Creative » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:10 pm

Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator, most schools have them to support students who require extra suport with their learning.
Creative
Forum God !

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat