HELP!! PARENTS, TEACHERS & DYSPRAXIC TEENS

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Re: HELP!! PARENTS, TEACHERS & DYSPRAXIC TEENS

Postby 07williamsdj » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:48 pm

I will be happy to help, if you have questions in mind feel free to PM me.
07williamsdj

Postby t21dar » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:16 pm

thanks will do
t21dar

Postby C » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi, I'd be happy to help to, feel free to pm me as well if you want to ask anything in particular.

I'll give it some thought and try to get back to you about as resource can't really think of anything atm. Sounds like an interesting project.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Shining_Star » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:57 pm

I didn't read what the others said, so sorry if u have it alreayd. When I was younger i had a disco cushion... I was meant to help me stop moving so much when sat down, it helped a bit. I think it helps to stemuated the person making them more aware of how much they move, which show reduce the amount of movement... It worked a bit. The only other thing I had was spelling classes at school and a triangle thing on my pencail lol.

So sorry for the horrible spelling lol. xx
Shining_Star

Postby thevaneone6601 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:37 pm

You mentioned a child who was frustrated with the way teachers treated him? I wonder if my similar experience would be useful for you. I wasn't diagnosed till I was 11 probably now I think about it due to the fact that before that the longest I have stayed in a school was two years. As my farthers job meant we had to move around. Somehow I managed to catch up 3 years wort of work (different countries ,curriculems and year groups) andanage to get into one of the best schools in the country. I didn't find this particularly hard . I was alwaysucjing around and not trying in lessons. However I managed o double my maths score in the 11+ past papers in two weeks. I was always seen as a clever child in speaking but had trouble in writing down my thoughts. My handwriting however was neat as I often practised as I became aware of how I still couldn't handwrite

Then the problems started at my secondaryschool . I was in a class of 26. All of a sudden I was the thick one used to being top of the class. We learnt about symentry and graphs in maths what had once being one or two marks in an exam turned into whole topics. I had 14 teachers all who I had to remember I had different classrooms for the same teacher same subject just different day . I was tested for dyspraxia and wa diagnosed. I guess why I am sharif this is because , when people find out they have a "specific leaning disability" they either feel relived and get all the help they can . Or like me feel that while it explains things, I've always rig fine before why now are they picking up on it for instanc I always knew I wa slightly different. My best friend would cut thugs out do me, one made a homework timetable for me on the computer. So I felt that now I was at aschool where I was dumb ild let the game away
My school has a reputation of being pressurising it is a private all girls school. So they proudly present ontheor website that there are about 5 dyslexics per year and now they can write one dyspraxic. It is not that I don't think I have it though I denied it at first but simply m teachers ideas are
1. Type
But my handwriting is fine
2. Extratime
I just finished my year 10 mocks and finished most of them with 50% time left
3. Sit a front
My behavoir is fine is seen as punishment
I sometimes feel that teachers read up on dyspraxia from the foundation and assume we are all the same. I ften fond in my report that I don't concentrate or I need to be more organised when I've handed in all peices of homework. Or in class teachers seem to think I can copy down three lines from the board. When in fact I would find it helpful if say they spend extra time with me and diagrams which one teacher does
Sorry this is long maybe not so much about your product but about duspraxics in schools sorry for my hostility at first
thevaneone6601
Power Poster

Previous

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat