Questions about DLA?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Questions about DLA?

Postby TK2oo8 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:21 pm

Hello, all.

I've been reading about DLA (Mainly HERE), and wondered if I might qualify. If somebody more knowledgeable than myself could shed some light on the subject, it would be much appreciated.

Basically, I've already been diagnosed with dyspraxia, and I'm probably going to be diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome in August, from what I've been told so far. I'm going to make a few bullet points below, basically trying to describe a few of my problems.

- I struggle to speak to people. Speaking to people I don't know is near impossible, and even speaking to friends is difficult. I just freeze up, even on the phone. I also find it almost painful to make eye contact with anyone.
- I'm easily overwhelmed by things like hearing a lot of noises at once, for example.
- I can't stand being touched, especially unexpectedly. Just rubbing arms with someone for a second as they walk by is extremely uncomfortable.
- A lot of things make me jump, if I am not expecting them. Someone talking to me, someone being in a room which I thought was empty, etc.
- I'm quite clumsy, and really struggle to perform tasks which require a steady hand.
- I can't function very well in a crowded place, because of all the people, and noise, etc. I will avoid a social situation whenever possible. (It's gotten to the point where I now only attend some lessons at school now, and I sit in a room alone because the classroom environment is still too much to deal with.)
- I don't think I will ever learn to drive, because I'm really worried about 'drifting off'. I struggle to ride a bike, because I'll often just 'zone out' and almost crash into something/someone. This would obviously be worse in a car, someone could be seriously hurt. :( My attention span tends to affect me doing other things, but transport is my main concern.
- I can't prepare a lot of meals for myself. I can do easy things like make cereal, or sandwiches (without butter, I find spreading it too hard), but I'll usually make a mess. I can also use a microwave, but that is about it.
- I'm not sure if this is relevant, but if I'm ever home alone, I will often forget to eat/drink. I can't really explain why, I think it's just because my parents usually make my meals, and I'll eat them because I'm prompted to do so, since the food is there.
- I have a really bad memory, and struggle to process a lot of information at once. When home alone, I will often forget to lock the door behind me, turn things off, perform certain tasks, remember if somebody tells me something, etc.

I can't really think of other things which might be relevant, but I will happily answer any questions I am asked.

I don't plan on taking any action regarding this matter until I find out if I am diagnosed with AS in Autumn, but this has just been on my mind, and I daren't really mention it to anyone in person yet. As I said before, if anyone who knows about the subject can give me some ideas, it would be much appreciated.

Sorry this post was so long, I appreciate that it's a lot to read. I tried to keep it short.

Thanks,
Tom.
TK2oo8
Advanced Member

Re: Questions about DLA?

Postby Steph » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:33 pm

Hi Tom. Your areas of difficulty sound similar to mine and I was turned down for DLA when I applied a couple of years ago but I made the mistake of filling in the form myself when apparently, to get the best chance of getting DLA awarded, you need professional support to fill it in, such as a social worker or charity advocate as you need to use specific phrases to tick their checklist and I suspect, under the Coalition, it's even harder to claim now than it was before. I did not bother to appeal my DLA refusal but I still think you should try for it-just be prepared for a long fight. I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby TK2oo8 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Thanks for the information, Steph, it's very much appreciated. :)

When you say professional support, do you think a therapist might be able to help with this? I ask because I am going to start seeing a therapist in August, as they want to wait to see if I'm diagnosed with AS or not, so they can find the person who I would be best suited to.
TK2oo8
Advanced Member

Postby Steph » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:43 pm

Yeah a therapist could do it as long as they have enough experience and knowledge to know the sort of language to use.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby TK2oo8 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:08 pm

I'll keep that in mind, thanks a lot. :)
TK2oo8
Advanced Member

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat