is dyspraxia on the autistic spectrum?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

is dyspraxia on the autistic spectrum?

Postby thevaneone6601 » Fri May 13, 2011 6:52 pm

I am just kinda confused
thevaneone6601
Power Poster

Re: is dyspraxia on the autistic spectrum?

Postby Alice » Wed May 18, 2011 6:42 pm

I'm not sure, which makes my diagnosis kind of confusing.

I apparently have symptoms of attention defficit disorder, but can't be diagnosed with that because I'm within what would be covered by an aspergers diagnosis. I also don't have aspergers or autistic spectrum disorder because I have better social skills than would be expected (aparently I was extremely borderline, he said he wished he had a team and a month to decide). Apparently I just got extra symptoms tacked onto my dyspraxia diagnosis, which I didn't realise you could do. I think that probably implies the conditions are related.

The person who saw me was very nice, but I wish I had asked him to be clearer about what exactly he meant when he was explaining.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby James Brimer » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:36 pm

I know there is a lot of over lap. Apparently according to the Educational Psychologist I am now seeing, if I was diagnosed know I would almost definitely (99.9%) be diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome. I know that a diagnosis of Dyspraxia and AS is only given if the Dyspraxia is sever enough. (Steph, correct me if wrong there).

-James
James Brimer
Forum Master

Location: 4 dimensions, The Universe, Galaxy: Milky Way, Earth, U.K.

Postby Steph » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:10 pm

James, you are correct. I think, if I was a child being assessed now, I would only get the AS diagnosis but, at the time when my dyspraxia was diagnosed, Aspergers was not a recognised diagnosis by most clinicians and the AS diagnosis came 2 years after the dyspraxia one.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby James Brimer » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:39 am

Its almost funny, but when I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia, it was not taken into consideration that I have this thing (don't know the right word) at the base of my skull. Doctors said that if I survived (still on oxygen then) it would make my balance terrible.
James Brimer
Forum Master

Location: 4 dimensions, The Universe, Galaxy: Milky Way, Earth, U.K.

Postby Nicole xD » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:51 am

I'm actually having a lot of trouble with this too at the moment. I was told that it is on the autistic specturm and I think that it is. I recently had an educational assessment done and he said that it was highly probable that I have aspergers aswel as dyspraxia and I have a lot of traits of OCD aswell. My teachers thought that I had already got a diagnosis of aspergers. I researched into what aspergers was and talked to a lot of people who have it and they all agree that I definitely have it- I think so too if I'm honest. I was just wondering if it was possible to have that combination?
Nicole xD
Super Poster

Postby _robyn_ » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:13 pm

I don't understand much actually about the whole diagnoses and that lot.

I only learnt what dyspraxia through actually having and seeing what I do differently to others, no one ever explained what it was.

But sometimes I show symptoms on things which seem autistic like covering my ears curling up into a ball and blocking out the whole world which is what I do when I'm annoyed or there is a really loud noise.

But I have really no knowledge about this stuff.
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Postby EllieRoss » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:33 pm

Dyspraxia is not on the autistic spectrum. lots of people with autsism have dyspraxia as a related condtion (ie. if you have autism you are more likly to have dyspraxia but not nessisarly) but offen with children with autism they don't like to test for dyspraxia as it may distress them. i do not have austism just dyspraxia but my younger sister primary diagnosis is autism and my older brother is dispraxia and ADHD with autistic tendenceys.
EllieRoss

Postby _robyn_ » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:40 pm

Well my mum took me to a GP and he said that dyspraxia is the physical part and not on the autistic spectrum. But like I said I have alot of autistic traits and the GP agreed so he has referred me to a clinic and I'm on the waiting list to see a child adolescent about if I have Aspergers Syndrome.
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Postby carebear15 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:18 pm

i have mild autism with sensory processing disorder.
I have Adhd and it is moderate and combined with hyperactivity.
I have deafness with moderate to severe hearing loss in left ear and moderate hearing loss in right ear.
I have cerebral palsy mild spastic diplegic and it affects my legs.
I have mental retardation
and other special needs.
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby ClarinaM » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:33 am

yes it is
ClarinaM
Advanced Member

Postby jemstein123 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:37 pm

I get easily obsessed with things i got a main interest in warships. I've been thinking for awhile that I have AS.
I always feel like the lesser person :/ I don't feel I can be myself at the moment.
I feel as though I must be good otherwise I'll be blackmailed
Its like your pretending to be someone else because the real you is not good enough.

Sorry
Jem
x
jemstein123
Advanced Member

Postby adamdonaldadam » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:32 am

This page just made me realise that i have AS as well as Dyspraxia!

Oh well. Not going to let it drag me down. Thank god im so positive thinking. :D
adamdonaldadam
Power Poster

Postby Steph » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:24 pm

adamdonaldadam wrote:This page just made me realise that i have AS as well as Dyspraxia!

Oh well. Not going to let it drag me down. Thank god im so positive thinking. :D

I would be very careful about self diagnosing yourself with Aspergers Syndrome based on an Internet page. Everybody is different and, if you suspect you have AS, I would recommend seeing your SENCO about it if you are still at school or your GP if you are not in school and asking for a referral to someone who is qualified to diagnose AS.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby jemstein123 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:54 am

I agree with Steph, I've had at time thought about seeing someone then I think I'm just being silly and I'll feel ridiculous if its Not AS
Jem
x
jemstein123
Advanced Member

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat