Who else here is totally intolerant when it comes to noise?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Who else here is totally intolerant when it comes to noise?

Postby ohpandahat » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:15 pm

I'm quite an intolerant person in general, but when it comes to noise, I just can't cope with it!

Eg 1: I'm trying to do maths revision and all I can hear is the little brats who are in their garden (which backs onto our garden) screaming! They seriously can't communicate without screaming at the top of their voices! And this isn't just about dyspraxia, I have dyscalcula aswell so I have to concerntrate extremely hard when it comes to maths!

Eg 2: My brother likes to play extremely loud music (often rap!) in his room, with the bass pounding. He especially likes to do this while having his bedroom door open, while he's in the shower. ¬ ¬ My response to this is often screaming and holding my head in my hands. He will often turn it down slightly, but lets face it, teenage brothers are only concerned with what they want!

So I just can't remotely concerntrate / focus, infact, if someone asks me a question in a loud environment, I couldn't give them an answer because it's too much to handle! My brain stops working! I can't do revision if I can hear noises, it's too distracting! I also can't sleep if theres more than minimal noise. Earplugs don't stay in my ears well either.

(I wonder if a small part of this is because i'm lucky enough to have grown up in a quiet area, in a big house so i'm not used to having to deal with noise much. So when there is noise, I don't know how to handle it.)

Does anyone else have similar problems?
ohpandahat
Super Poster

Re: Who else here is totally intolerant when it comes to noise?

Postby wadey » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:22 pm

certian noise i cant stand, espically if i trying to concentrate. if i am somewhere where they is lots of people talking then i find my mind gets confused and cant think properly
wadey
Site Admin

Postby ohpandahat » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:48 pm

wadey wrote:certian noise i cant stand, espically if i trying to concentrate. if i am somewhere where they is lots of people talking then i find my mind gets confused and cant think properly

Yeah me too. :?

I find it hard to have a group conversation. I much prefer talking to one person at a time!
ohpandahat
Super Poster

Postby Creative » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:40 pm

I prefer talking to one person at a time too. I find it hard to block out background noise and concentrate o the conversation I am having.

Also I can't bear noises at night. I can't have a clock in my room as I can't bear the ticking sound. I can't bear it if a tap is dripping. It drives me mad!
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Shining_Star » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:53 pm

I understand the sleeping thing, my brother has to save his friends from me cos they were being noise and I was like shut up.
I a bit werid here, if i have my headphones in i can block out most noise, I don't even listen to the lyics it just kinda there. To be honst I am normally the noise one lol. xx
Shining_Star

Postby carebear15 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:21 pm

too much noise, i shut down.
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Alice » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:58 pm

I drive my family insane with my wish for silence most of the time. It takes very little noise to distract me from what I'm doing, and much more than that tends to be rather distressing and overwhelming. Large amounts of noise result in my brain refusing to even attempt to process anything, which can be quite distressing.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby James Brimer » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:58 am

I get that as well but my brother listens to heavy rock. :evil: How annoyed I get depends on what I am focusing on. If I am focusing on my "special interest" I tend not to notice anything around me. I guess this is like when I read a good book, I see the book as pictures in my head and I do not remember reading the words. If I am not focusing on something like that then I go to my room or ask to go to another room or outside if I am with a group. If I cannot escape the noise then I meditate and block it out that way.

- James
James Brimer
Forum Master

Location: 4 dimensions, The Universe, Galaxy: Milky Way, Earth, U.K.

Postby ohpandahat » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:59 am

Alice wrote:I drive my family insane with my wish for silence most of the time. It takes very little noise to distract me from what I'm doing, and much more than that tends to be rather distressing and overwhelming. Large amounts of noise result in my brain refusing to even attempt to process anything, which can be quite distressing.

I like silence most of the time too. I like to be able to hear myself think! I listen to music sometimes, but listening to music doesn't really help me to block out noise or the chaos that's going on around me!
ohpandahat
Super Poster

Postby ohpandahat » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:00 am

Creative wrote:I prefer talking to one person at a time too. I find it hard to block out background noise and concentrate o the conversation I am having.

Also I can't bear noises at night. I can't have a clock in my room as I can't bear the ticking sound. I can't bear it if a tap is dripping. It drives me mad!

I hate noises at night too. I also can't have a ticking clock! I can't have any lights on when i'm sleeping at night too. The most tiny light will drive me crazy!
ohpandahat
Super Poster

Postby Remus » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:53 pm

For me, it really depends on the particular noise. For example, I cannot stand the vacuum. My dad was vacuuming in my room today whilst I was on the bed with my laptop and it was just so annoying and painful. I just had to block my ears and wait until he was finish to resume what I was doing.

Overall though, I am pretty good when it comes to noise though as my room is quite noisy as I have got the boiler, the aquarium with the filter running, traffic and I have the fan on at night so I guess I just get used to it. I don't think I could sleep in the quiet though, I just wouldn't sleep.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby carizza » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:44 am

I can't do my work on a noisy surrounding. I am easily distracted from it and can't be productive. I tend to go outside and find a place that is quiet enough to continue my work.
carizza
Advanced Member

Postby _robyn_ » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:05 pm

Our car has no air conditioning, so when it is hot my Mum opens the window and I hate it. I usually cover my ears with boths hands and curl up into a ball because I hate the noise of all the cars and the wind blowing my hair (my fringe out of place!) I just don't like, I really want to fall asleep so I don't have to hear the noise.

Same things happens with loud music and vacuum cleaners (most loud noise) but it is most bad with wind.

When people shout in my house ( i have a moody older sister who shouts ALOT) i hate it. I over my ears and curl up in a ball on my bed.

I also don't like crowds- too many people...
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Postby 07williamsdj » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:10 pm

I hate higher pitch noises and sound of the hoover is extremely irritating.
07williamsdj

Postby Creative » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:10 pm

Hoovers have a very unplesent noise!
Creative
Forum God !

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat