Struggling at shool

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Struggling at shool

Postby _robyn_ » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:12 pm

Well I'm just going into year 9, and things are getting really difficult.

At my school my class has got most of the people needing learning support in it, but next year our p.e lessons are the same as our french classes (bottom set french for me 8) ) and my P.E lesson will probably be before another lesson (not break) not even with break I still late to the next lesson.

I'm really worried, I'm so slow at getting changed and will be about 20minutes late to the next lesson. (At school the uniform is shirt with buttons, tights and a TIE! )

Also I think I'm quite clever, I was chosen to do a maths special lessons at the local uni. Learning about Josephus flavius and fibonachi.
But when it comes to writing stuff down, well....it is not written how I said it in my head.
This is why in my recent exams I did bad beyond belief (I did not even finish any of them let alone get the questions I did do right.) So I have been put down a set in everything (except for maths because that was easy, barely any writing and all answers simple and straight forward.)

And finally, clumsyness. I dropped a lit bunsen burner in Chemistry...twice. I dropped my pencil case down the stairs and lost all my stuff and I was banned from doing practicals in D.T for 2 lessons ( Although I hate D.T so I did not mind that so much.)

So I really need some help! I'm getting really stressed worrying about these things and I just wish it would all become easier and someone could understand! Not even my friends understand how hard everything is. :roll:

Can anyone help?? :?
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Re: Struggling at shool

Postby 07williamsdj » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:48 pm

I understand what you are saying, im really clumsy and I have to where a tie too (very fiddly things). I can't think of any advice I can give you at the moment, if I think of any I will post.
07williamsdj

Postby Alice » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:14 pm

With regards to the uniform issue...

Wear trousers if tights are fiddly or, if you really don't want to wear trousers and your skirt is a sensible length, you could always go for hold ups, which are basically very long socks made out of tights fabric. I wore trousers to school myself, but I can also say from experience that hold ups are much easier and generally more comfortable than tights.

When you take your tie off, loosen it and slip it over your head. That way you just have to slip it back on and tighten it instead of redooing it.

Wearing a comparitively loose shirt means you can just slip it on and off whilst only undooing some of the buttons.

You could also ask about being let out early for PE.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby _robyn_ » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:18 pm

Alice wrote:With regards to the uniform issue...

Wear trousers if tights are fiddly or, if you really don't want to wear trousers and your skirt is a sensible length, you could always go for hold ups, which are basically very long socks made out of tights fabric. I wore trousers to school myself, but I can also say from experience that hold ups are much easier and generally more comfortable than tights.

When you take your tie off, loosen it and slip it over your head. That way you just have to slip it back on and tighten it instead of redooing it.

Wearing a comparitively loose shirt means you can just slip it on and off whilst only undooing some of the buttons.

You could also ask about being let out early for PE.

Thanks with the tie, I will try that and when I go back to school shopping I will ask for a baggy shirt. Thanks :)

about tights and skirt- I go to a private school, girls have to wear skirts (school skirts) and tights, or a skirt with shorts underneath, I live up north so no tights in winter is just freezing.

But thanks for the advice about the tie and shirt :D
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Postby 07williamsdj » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:10 pm

try making small and simple mindmaps when you first go into exams and essays. It can help you organise your thoughts.
07williamsdj

Postby _robyn_ » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:39 pm

07williamsdj wrote:try making small and simple mindmaps when you first go into exams and essays. It can help you organise your thoughts.

Ok, thanks I will try that. :)
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Postby Alice » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:39 pm

I doubt they will check whether it's tights, stockings, or hold ups you're wearing unless you're in the habbit of keeping your skirt rolled up short without wearing shorts underneath. They all look basically the same except at the very top where they should be well covered by your skirt. I find it does make a big difference because you only have to worry about one leg at a time with hold ups. While that is also true with stockings, the clipping them up part looks fiddly and garters/suspender belts both have - goodness knows why - connotations which would not perhaps make it apropriate for your age or for school.

However, I will concede that tights are easier to replace than hold ups since there are one or two shops that for some reason choose to sell only tights.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby wadey » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:05 pm

with regarded of getting changed after p.e you could always get your mum to talk to the school to see if they can let you put of p.e about 5 minutes earlier so that you have a bit of extra time of getting changed - I know 5 minutes not long as it takes me 5 minute to get 1 sock on!! anyway you never know you may find that the extra 5 minute may help. also you could practice getting changed from your p.e kit to your school uniform over the summer holildays (yes very boring, but you may find that it may help - i did this when i went to school and i found that when i went back to school i was a bit faster then i was before)
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Alice » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:59 am

I got let out early from PE because my Maths teacher bullied my PE teacher into it. My parent's had written in about her giving me codes (points that add up to detentions) for being late after PE all the time and embarassing me by asking me to tell the class why I was late. Rather than allow me to be late, she made my PE teacher let me out early. I liked maths (though as you may gather, the teacher was somewhat scary) and hated PE, so it was a win win situation for me.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Wolf Spirit » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:56 am

I am going into the big year 10 when I get back to school! :shock:

Anyway, if I were you I'd ask somebody to tell the teacher that teaches the lesson after PE about it. That's what my parents did in year 7, and I think I was late once or twice but didn't get in trouble because of it. Also I was sometimes let out of PE early to get changed (when they actually remembered! :roll: )
Pinkie Pie is best pony!
Wolf Spirit
Forum Master

Postby _robyn_ » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:35 pm

I just found out my tmetable-

My P.E lesson is before lunch, so that is really good because I will have a whole hour to get changed :p

But also bad because if I get a detention on a monday- I'm stuffed.
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips