Revision and Uni

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Revision and Uni

Postby charlie100 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:28 pm

Hey everyone,

I've never been on a forum so bear with me on all this.

I am currently in my final year of University studying History and Politics and have found a rough way of revising. But I find that despite knowing some brief ideas remenbering names and dates can sometimes be hard. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for me?
At the minute i highlight things in my notes, re write them onto flash cards then make them into a spider diagram using Inspiration on my computer.

I wasn't diagnosed (if thats the right word) with dyspraxia until the end of my first year of Uni so haven't ever really been shown or told how to deal with it.
Although have somehow got my own way of dealing with things.

Hope someone can help

xx
charlie100

Re: Revision and Uni

Postby Star » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:19 pm

I find that coming up with funny rhymes and things connected to dates and names can help.
Star
Mega Poster

Postby Lk18 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:45 pm

I'm new on here too! Oh no, revision, it doesn't go well for me either - takes me ages to remember things!

:D
Lk18

Postby parnassus » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:46 pm

I made flash cards to help me remember things for my psychology exams. One tip that really helped me was to organise the information on each card in exactly the same way - at the top I put the psychologists involved in the study, then the date of the study, then brief details of the study, then any follow-up research. I used a different colour for each thing: purple for the psychologists' names, orange for the follow-up studies, etc. Writing it all out in separate colours gave me time to absorb the information.

I also used a voice recorder for certain subjects. That might help too, if you practised summarising certain pieces of information on tape and then playing it back to yourself. Get as many senses involved as possible - don't just read and write. Discussion groups can help, too - information always sinks in deeper when you talk about it and analyse it with other people who are studying the same topic.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Remus » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:53 pm

I'm not too good with revision either. I find videos really helpful as I am quite a visual person and use my imagination a lot. I loved my English exam because when I was doing Romeo and Juliet, I had watched the movie a couple of times and it was pretty much all stored in my mind and when recalling a certain piece, it was just like watching the real thing and it came in extreme useful. Of course, that only works if you are a visual person.

Try all sorts of things such as flash cards, mind-maps, colour coding, music, testing yourself or get a friend/family to give your questions etc. Try and break it up into small chunks as well as you won't learn much if you try to revise it all in one go.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Dilos » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:35 am

For revision i make sure i handwrite stuff cause althought i struggle to read my handwritting it helps just to have the physicalness of doing it again almost like a reharsel.
Also for my philosophy exams last year i did lots of practice but aimed to do it in half the time it should take so say a 50 marker i'd do it in 25 mins this helped for two reasons my concentration span is appaling and when it came to the real thing i could slow down and relax while others sped up and paniced.
Dilos

Postby allhahaheehee » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:23 am

I was not very good at revision but kne thing that did help me was mind mapping
allhahaheehee

Postby kitty123 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:13 pm

i use drywipe board markers (whiteboard pens) on the window to draw mind maps and things then just wipe it off when finished
"dyspraxia made me who i am today without it life would be boring (the little lifts you get when you manage to to an simple "everyday task like pouring juice without spills )" [/color]
kitty123
Super Poster

Postby Robert White » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:36 pm

charlie100 wrote:Hey everyone,

I've never been on a forum so bear with me on all this.

I am currently in my final year of University studying History and Politics and have found a rough way of revising. But I find that despite knowing some brief ideas remenbering names and dates can sometimes be hard. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for me?
At the minute i highlight things in my notes, re write them onto flash cards then make them into a spider diagram using Inspiration on my computer.

I wasn't diagnosed (if thats the right word) with dyspraxia until the end of my first year of Uni so haven't ever really been shown or told how to deal with it.
Although have somehow got my own way of dealing with things.

Hope someone can help

xx

Try using the method of loci, it is also known as memory palace. Google it!

I had trouble like you, trying to remember things for exams. This technique REALLY helped me.
Robert White

Postby sherwood » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:26 pm

Hi Charlie!
Em, this may seem a strange question to ask, but have you registered the fact that you are dyspraxic with the college?
Most colleges run disability services which provide study workshops to teach people with things like dyspraxia ways to study that will work better for them.

Other than that little and often seems to work the best for me. I also use the flashcards that someone else mentioned (cant remember who)
sherwood
Advanced Member

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips