Who's dyspraxia causes problems with food here?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Re: Who's dyspraxia causes problems with food here?

Postby Alice » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:00 am

I have a very good sense of taste and smell, so while I do eat a variety of food it's hard to ignore something I don't like about a food. The smell of most canteens makes me nausious, which is why it would have been problematic had I gone into catered halls (I would probably have lost a lot of weight, more than I did in the first term last year anyway).

I think being introduced to a large variety of foods at an early age helped somewhat.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Boing » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:44 pm

I think most food problems here are a mix between dyspraxic and autistic tendencies.

I'm over-sensitive to taste and texture. Most fruits I can't eat because of the fleshy texture, even if I life the taste. for example I love orange flavoured things, but couldn't eat an orange, just about the only fruit I will eat by itself is an apple. The same is true of vegetables, the worst things are cooked carrots and sweetcorn which make me feel sick. I'll eat potatoes, peas and broccoli, and I can put up with cooked mushrooms in something if there's not too many. Lastly I can't stand chilli, if someone opens a jar on the other side of the room I can taste it, definitely no need to eat one :P

I think I'm slightly better now than when I was younger, I used to find things really hot (temperature not spice) that I'd say are normal temperature now. I was also quite a messy eater and usually managed to get something down my front most meals, as well as being slow (as I still am rather.)
Boing

Postby 07williamsdj » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:59 pm

I love most foods, the main problem is getting it to my mouth without making a mess.
07williamsdj

Postby Kirbster12 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:44 am

I used to not really like pasta, but now I LOVE it! somethimes have it three times a week! My mum makes amazing pasta with creamy sauce and bacon and mushrooms, which I had last night. Another type of pasta I love is tomatoey pasta with loads of melted cheese on top, Mmmmmm....Yummy! I like most sorts of pasta, but my favourite would have to be penne. It's so simple.

I have a bit of a thing for tomatoes! when I was younger, I ate so many that it gave me rash!
I really hate curries, rice and most forms of egg(pancakes are and obvious exception!). I love mushrooms! Especially on pizza or in pasta (Is anyone noticing a theme, here?)!
The meal I have most often is chicken kievs (garlic or ham and cheese)! Once I had them every day for a week!
What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring. ~ Sherlock :)

City Council would like to remind everyone that dogs are not allowed in the dog park. People are not allowed in the dog park...
Kirbster12
Forum Master

Postby MinogueLover » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:02 pm

I HATE HATE HATE broccoli and cauliflower! I like peas and carrots are okay, as long as they are not mushy :)
MinogueLover

Postby Shining_Star » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:26 am

I love how it changed to a pasta convotions lol. I love pasta. Can't stand just cooked carttos, and I have this werid thing with oil i can not stand to much oil, it makes me feel sick. It only been like that for the last 18 months. otherwise I normal eat anything and everything, I am really just a fatty pie in a thin person body pahahaha. xx
Shining_Star

Postby Wolf Spirit » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:46 pm

I'm a very picky eater. I don't like a lot of vegetables at all, but I love raw carrot. I've never liked carrot cooked. My worst vegetables are peas because I can't swallow them and I have to spit them out straight away. I like pasta but I don't eat it a lot. I love sweet stuff and salty stuff. I like some fruit like red apple and grapes, and I love red peppers, which I eat quite a bit.
Pinkie Pie is best pony!
Wolf Spirit
Forum Master

Postby jpowls » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:44 am

This is an interesting thread. I've never linked food preferences to dyspraxia and I wouldnt say I'm a fussy eater but I recognise a lot of stuff I'm this thread.

I could eat pasta everyday if you let me.

And I absolutely loath salad or any kind of "leaves" (lettuce, rocket, cabbage etc) it's like eating watery sandpaper. I also hate any rough like chick peas, they're absolutely vile.
jpowls

Postby Creative » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:15 pm

I hate chick peas too!
Creative
Forum God !

Postby wadey » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:37 pm

when i was younger I used to only eat jelly, yoghurt and bounborns. even though i now eat a much more variety of food i dont really like food that much.
wadey
Site Admin

Postby _robyn_ » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:37 pm

I'm actually really interested now since what most people have said they don't like- I don't like.

So I like the taste of oranges but I don't like eating oranges.
I'm quite fussy with ham, I will only have it in a toastie and today my fork was touching a piece of ham which was in my bowl that my Mum put in (I refused to eat the ham) but I also refused to use the fork because the fork had touched the ham.

I could eat pasta for ever.

I like strawberries alot, (not because of the taste- I just like them and could eat millions of them)

I also like tinned mango. And jelly.
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Postby Purple_Alpaca » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:55 am

I love pasta! :) My favourite kind is wholemeal ( which a lot of people don‘t seem to like!) I‘m having pasta and cheese for breakfast :lol: to my mind it doesn‘t really matter what time a meal is eaten, as l long as I get something proper down me :)
I used to be very picky with my food. I am not so bad with it now, but I used to be terrible. I refused to eat: meat, vegetables, fruit, sauces, fish, anything mashed (potatoes, carrots etc) and the list of what I would eat became smaller and smaller until I was only eating pasta, potatoes, bread and chocolate. I was malnourished and underweight. But slowly I reintroduced fish, then meat, then other foods. My diet still isn‘t great, but I‘m a lot better now! :)
Smile, dance, laugh, live and don't take anything for granted. Being here is a gift.

“My advice to you is please don't ever sit in your room and lock yourself away because you don't think you're good enough.”

Hello(:I'm Holly.
Purple_Alpaca
Forum Master

Postby lycanfist » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:01 pm

Like super nekou said, I can't eat anything juicy, most times they make me gag, especially tomatoes :cry:
"You are what you dare" - The didact, halo cryptum
I am the worlds biggest Halo, and hunter x hunter fan :D
http://www.youtube.com/lycanfist
http://www.twitter.com/lycanfist
lycanfist
Super Poster

Postby Creative » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:12 pm

I hate wholemeal pasta and wholemeal bread. I think it's horrible.
I need to eat regular meals or I feel really tired.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Bri97 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:20 pm

Im so glad you posted that Im just the same. My parents especially my dad yelled at me a lot about my eating habits and I thought I was being fussy and spoilt but they didnt understand I couldnt physically eat it even things like a sandwhich I gag at which is pretty embarrasing especially when I am eating out, I think part of the problem for me is that I have a really strong sense of smell so if something smells bad then I just cant eat it. :P :P
Bri97
Power Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat