Dyspraxic Swimming

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Dyspraxic Swimming

Postby EllieRoss » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:44 pm

Hi everyone

I am 15 years old and for the past few years I have swum competitively for the past few years under the DSE (Disability Sports Events) classification s17 which is dyspraxia. I really enjoyed doing this me and have improved a lot and won a few medals along the way. This year when we when to look at the entry forms they had taken s17 of the classifications list. This now means that there is no where for Dyspraxia people to compete on and equal playing field.

As this is a big blow for my family as me, my older brother and younger sister all competed in the swimming events my mum was wondering about running some kind of Dyspraxia Swimming Championships for all abilities and ages. Our only worries about doing so were weather we could get enough people to enter. So I was hoping if this would be something you were interested in doing if you could let me know as we are trying to find out idea is feasible.

Thanks Ellie
EllieRoss

Re: Dyspraxic Swimming

Postby Remus » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:04 am

Sorry to hear about the swimming being taken off and I think it's a really good idea that you are trying to organise some more swimming to enable dyspraxics to compete in at a fair level. I personally cannot swim but I know a lot of dyspraxics who are keen swimmers and I'm sure they would be interested in your idea.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby wadey » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:21 am

sorry to hear that, I think that it good that you and your family are trying to organise a dyspraxic swimming competetion, another idea is maybe to set up a petition to get the other one back? Even though I can swim I am not very good at it but like Remus said they will be other dyspraxics who will be intrested in it.
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Purple_Alpaca » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:40 am

I love swimming, it‘s the only sport I don‘t find a huge struggle. :mrgreen:
Smile, dance, laugh, live and don't take anything for granted. Being here is a gift.

“My advice to you is please don't ever sit in your room and lock yourself away because you don't think you're good enough.”

Hello(:I'm Holly.
Purple_Alpaca
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:21 pm

I can only use one stroke (breaststroke) and I can't dive or anything like that, but I love being in the water and can swim for miles before I get tired. I'd love to participate in any dyspraxic swimming event you organised, providing it's not a prerequisite to dive in and use multiple strokes. A lot of swimming events that I've wanted to join ask everyone to dive in from a block, unfortunately.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby EllieRoss » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:51 pm

Glad to hear there would be some intrest in a dyspraxic swimming campionships. At the moments we are contacting the organser of the Dse swimmming events and trying to find out why they took dyspraxia out and if there is anything else avaliable for dyspaxics. (I'll kept any one who intrested posted)

I have desided that I am going to keep in training and hopfully enter some low level able bodied swimming events (ones that don't have quallifying times) and mabey start open water swimming.

Most competions I have been to there is nothing about having to dive off blocks (althought most people do) an dyou pick the events thta you want to do so you could just pick to breast stocke events.

Ellie
EllieRoss

Postby lycanfist » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:07 am

I used to swim really well, but I stopped swimming for a year, and I just scraped my level 1 swimming badge for scouts, we had to swim 25 meters :oops:
"You are what you dare" - The didact, halo cryptum
I am the worlds biggest Halo, and hunter x hunter fan :D
http://www.youtube.com/lycanfist
http://www.twitter.com/lycanfist
lycanfist
Super Poster

Postby _robyn_ » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:50 pm

I think it is great to be getting a dyspraxic swimming thing, and a really annoying they took it off the list.

I'm rubbish at swimming, I was alrightish but then I had a stomach operation and I pretty much had to learn how to swim again so I swim at the level of a 6 yr old :p where you more paddle and splash around just to stay afloat. :D

So I don't swim, but I think it is a great idea.
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Postby Steph » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:46 pm

That's such a shame it was taken off! I am OK at swimming-I can do breaststroke and a couple of turns of backstroke before I panic and start spluttering! I took swimming lessons at the local pool all the way up until the timed swimming certificates which I failed at as I was too slow!
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Ben gardner » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:34 am

i love swimming along with cycling its the only sport im good at i learnt to swim at 4 and am the second best swimmer at my school
Ben gardner

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat