Dyspraxia and skin conditions

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Dyspraxia and skin conditions

Postby Steph » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:12 pm

I think there may be a similar thread to this a few pages down but I couldn't seem to find it and it's an interesting topic in my opinion so I'm making a new thread instead.

Does anyone else think there is some sort of link between dyspraxia and skin conditions such as eczema? I have chronic psoriasis on my scalp and behind my ears and I have eczema in the creases of my elbows. Other than my sister, who had severe eczema as a child which resolved itself once she hit puberty, none of my relatives have skin conditions but I have had general irritations with my skin since I was a child. I also go red very easily in the shower or bath even though I can't sense temperature all that well. I know skin conditions can be a feature of autism (I also have Aspergers and a lot of the autistic students where I work have eczema and react strongly to normal detergents requiring special, mild ones instead to wash their clothes in) but I was wondering if it's a dyspraxic trait too. I know that thousands of people with eczema/other skin conditions are neither dyspraxic nor autistic but, for the purposes of this discussion, I am focusing on dyspraxia.
Steph
Forum God !

Re: Dyspraxia and skin conditions

Postby xFCJ1995 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:04 pm

I have no idea whether it is linked to dyspraxia, but my skin is very sensitive to products, and will come out in severe eczema if I use certain moisturisers, but it reacts worse to sun lotion. I am also very sensitive to heat rash etc... but I don't know if it's at all linked
xFCJ1995
Advanced Member

Postby 07williamsdj » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:48 pm

The only skin condition that I can think of that I have is acne.
07williamsdj

Postby JamesStanley » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:55 pm

It could be i have very sensitive skin im always scratching as my skin its always so itchy i also like to keep my hair short because it irrates me really bad i pulled my hair out twice when i was younger and so now i think its best just to keep it short. i also keep having temperature changes my body goes really hot im very sensitive to heat so in summer i usually where very thin t-shirts with light shorts.

Im waiting to be tested for autism so if i have autism this could be why this happens
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:39 pm

I have sensitive skin and I also have psoriasis, but that runs in my family so I don't think mine is dyspraxia-related.
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby wadey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:05 pm

Some materials will irrate my skin and most washing powder will too. the only washing powder which i have found not to irrate my skin in Fairy. Also I have a conditon which is very simalr to Hay fever but this one will make your skin very itchy (I cant remember the peoper name for it but most doctor will call it Hay Fever as it caused by the same thing but instead of sneezing and water/itchy eyes it affects the skin mostly)
wadey
Site Admin

Postby cullenfairy14 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:22 pm

hello! i am dyspraxic, and i have quite bad excema, red bumps on my arms, flaky, very dry skin, all the regular symptoms. its particularly bad on my hands, at times it gets too painful to use cream! i found out i had dyspraxia when i was about 15, and from then onwards i seem to have noticed the excema more and more. i don't know if its directly related, (sorry!) but i hope this helps. love, cullenfairy14.xxx
cullenfairy14

Postby Shining_Star » Sun May 08, 2011 7:29 pm

exemia is realted to hayfever and other contions like that, it also runs in my family... but they could be linked because my mum thinks that dypraxia could b gentic cos my nan has some of the dyspraxic trades but cos she grow up in gremany you can't tell if it's that or she really dyspraxic.
I have really dry skin on my arms and legs even after using creams and stuff so it could be. xx
Shining_Star

Postby pinksehenna » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:09 pm

does anyone have any spots they're sturggling with, a.k.a, acne? i am constantly battling with mine, trying every method under the sun. i was just wondering if it was linked with dyspraxia as you guys we chatting about it and the link with your exzema (soz about spelling) :(
pinksehenna

does anyone have any spots they're sturggling with, a.k.a, acne? i am constantly battling with mine, trying every method under the sun. i was just wondering if it was linked with dyspraxia as you guys we chatting about it and the link with your exzema (soz about spelling) :(
pinksehenna

pinksehenna

Postby 07williamsdj » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:18 pm

I have quite bad acne aswell. I have tried allot of stuff, nothing really seems to work. I might go to the doctors.
07williamsdj

Postby Robert White » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:34 pm

I have acne, but I highly doubt this has anything to do with dyspraxia.
Robert White

Postby sherwood » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:43 pm

I know my skin can get very dry and irritated, and that my mam has just been diagnosed with psoriasis, so I think there might be some sort of link alright
sherwood
Advanced Member

Postby Laura19 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:19 pm

I have had acne since I was about 14 and Im 20 now its not as bad but still there! Also I have very sensitive skin I sumtimes get dry skin if using the wrong product! Also I have asma aswell dont know if its related to dyspraxia tho!
Laura19
Power Poster

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat