Does dyspraxia affect long term memory?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Does dyspraxia affect long term memory?

Postby Robert White » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:30 pm

It's a simple question really. I would say I have moderate dyspraxia but have had extensive treatment. As a child I had speech and language therapy until the age of around 11, I had emotional psychology, physiotherapy, etc...

In the recent A2 exams I got A*A*A. I really have jumped hugely in terms of academia. From being one of the 'stupidest' students in the school I have risen to be the third highest achiever in the school. My parents are VERY proud.

However, I have been fairly depressed recently... my general knowledge isn't very good and I don't know if it's because I don't read enough or haven't, since now, been interested in learning new things... :(

I hate having a problem and not being able to do anything about it.
Robert White

Re: Does dyspraxia affect long term memory?

Postby Creative » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:00 pm

Hi Robert, congratulations on your exam results. :D Well Done.

My general knowledge is that great. My Geography is awful and I am hopeless and remembering place names and if places are near to each other and things like that.

Maybe your depession is affecting your ability to learn new things at the moment. Don't worry about this. I'm sure that when you start feeling better you will find it easier to learn new things.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby wadey » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi Robert ~ your exams results are fantiastic well done!!

My genreal knowledge is terrible, i cant even give dierction to people on how to get somewhere

I very muich agree with what creative said
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Creative » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:51 pm

My directions are awful but that's due to my dyspraxia.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:32 pm

My general knowledge is pretty good but that's because I read/watch the news every day and watch a lot of quiz programmes on TV. However, it should be remembered that general knowledge and long term memory are different things completely. Long term memory is how well you can remember things that happened to you as a child and conversations/events that happened at this time and this is not usually affected by dyspraxia-in fact, a lot of dyspraxics have weak short term memory but exceptionally good long term memory.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Robert White » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:27 am

hmm okay thanks!
Robert White

Postby Laura19 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:42 pm

I have difficulty with long term memory at times but then I remember some things that happened years ago very well so Im not sure! Well done with ur exam results theyre brill results! Laura
Laura19
Power Poster

Postby lycanfist » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:07 pm

I feel like I was cheating today in my mock biology test to see whether I'd move up or down in my form, because lots of people in my class did lots of revising on the summer pack, but didn't do really well, whereas I only spent an hour on it, the day before school started, but I could remember most of it perfectly :oops:
"You are what you dare" - The didact, halo cryptum
I am the worlds biggest Halo, and hunter x hunter fan :D
http://www.youtube.com/lycanfist
http://www.twitter.com/lycanfist
lycanfist
Super Poster

Postby Bri97 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:17 pm

First well done on your exams!!! I suppose Dyspraxia is different for everyone so it could possibly affect long term memory but for me I have a really good long term memory, however I could ask someone a question and then a few minutes later ask them again because I dont recall asking it so my short term memory is worse.
Bri97
Power Poster

Postby Dyspraxic bear » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:38 pm

I found out that your short term memory should be about a minute but for dyspraxics it's about 15 seconds our long term memory is better than average though I can remember things from when I was 3 but not what I had for breakfast :-)
Dyspraxic bear
Power Poster

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat