interacting with others

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

interacting with others

Postby pinksehenna » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:23 pm

I always feel so awkward around people, clueless of what to say, how to respond, hardly getting jokes usually. I feel like such a freak in school, no one really connecting with me. I see everyone else really having a connection, and then there's me. Just sat there all on my own. Is this normal? to do with dyspraxia? it really gets me down. why am i such a larry? :!: :?: (sorry for being so depressing) :oops: :?
pinksehenna

Re: interacting with others

Postby 07williamsdj » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:28 pm

That happens sometimes with me. I also sometimes misunderstand people and end up looking a bit sensitive (maybe I am a bit sensitive). Also people misunderstand me allot.
07williamsdj

Postby wadey » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:40 pm

this also happens to me, at school i was bullied a lot and had no friends. tho at college everyone seems to accept me for who i am, even if i quite often misunderstand them!
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:36 pm

All my life, I have felt like an outsider looking in. I do have some genuine friends but most people seem to either treat me like a child or as some sort of Eggheads/Mastermind candidate, neither of which are particularly flattering ways to be treated.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby galexy96 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:46 pm

Don't worry, you aren't the only one who feels like that. I feel this way around most people, especially in school. I hate lunch times because all my 'friends' are talking and engaging with each other and i am just sitting there feeling awkward and out of place.
galexy96
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Shining_Star » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:02 pm

I think this is normal because we lack some congtive progessing skill that others have. It gets better as u get older. It may also be some of them don't understand what dyspraxia is, I find this alot. I have some good friends and u won't always b on ur own.
When in a social situation I just talk until some shuts me up (not always the right way to go) but just talk to them, u will misunderstand them sometimes, and not get the jokes sometimes (with me that cos there usually about me lol) but if they are worth knowing they will forgive you and get over it. Just keep the faith my love =].

xx
Shining_Star

Postby cullenfairy14 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi! I recently started college, having been home taught from a young age. (I can't remember the exact age, 6 or 7, maybe),
anyway, i never really felt like i fit in, i wasn't confident or outgoing enough to just go up to somebody and introduce myself, so i just wandered around by myself, feeling a little like everyone else had friends, connections, except me. i had a few friends, but not close. having been "out of the system" for so long, it was a shock, i felt "out of the loop", and alone.
i read in a book about dyspraxia, that people, teens, children, tend to enjoy, and feel more comfortable around, adults, rather than people their own age. now when i read this, i thought, no way. its not possible, because that is me, in a nutshell. I hope that i am not the only one who is like this. gotta live in hope, right? :) anyway, sorry for getting so off track, didn't mean to tell you my life story, but i do believe that it is connected. shyness, a feeling of isolation, being completely and utterly gullibe and cotton wool headed when it comes to jokes, ( i just don't get them, at all!) all of it. i hope i have helped, or given some food for thought. thx, love to all, faye.xxx
cullenfairy14

Postby lycanfist » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:09 pm

I think it does have something to do with dyspraxia, because when I hang out with my friends, I feel awkward, and especially so when I get touched or hugged (be it my auntys, or my female friends). I think what you should do is just try to start a topic about something you like, or really interested in, and see how it goes from there :D 8)
"You are what you dare" - The didact, halo cryptum
I am the worlds biggest Halo, and hunter x hunter fan :D
http://www.youtube.com/lycanfist
http://www.twitter.com/lycanfist
lycanfist
Super Poster

Postby _robyn_ » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:23 pm

my best friend is also dyspraxic (hers is much more mild than mine) but it means she can be social and she also understands me.

i use to get left out alot but my friend when i miss understand will repeat stuff and somehow when she says them they make alot more sense. (her brother has aspergers so i think that is why she knows quite a lot bout helping make sense of stuff. )

but when she is not in one of my lessons then most the time i dont have a clue...
most the time the best thing i do is just be myself. by doing that i can say things that i find serious but might make the whole class laugh. and even though i dont understand the joke, if i have made them laugh it makes me laugh and i feel like i fit in more.
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Postby billy15uk » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:45 pm

i feel the same

when i was at school

i didn't have allot of friends 1 best friend and 1 or 2 good friends but set it

i didn't connect well with other people in the school

and i find things serious at times and my friends sometimes don't and they laugh

and most of the time i been left out and i felt awkward around people.

but since i left school i been working on the building site i been happy since

:)
Visit my voting website http://www.pollsfun.com.

You on vote on Fun Polls about entertainment/music/sports and lots more.
And you can make new friends around the world and talk about anything in our chat room.

We have over 100 Fun Polls to vote.
billy15uk
Forum Master

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat