Holy Flying Circus

Chat here about your favourite music, books, films, TV programmes etc.

Holy Flying Circus

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:31 pm

This post might be a long one, and it will contain very personal stuff that I’m not proud of. You have been warned.

Shown on BBC4 last night (19th October) Holy Flying Circus tells the fictionalised story of how Monty Python caused worldwide controversy and were accused of blasphemy after the release of Life of Brian, and it is told in the distinctive Pythonesque style, including the surreal animations from the mind of Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones dressed as Michael Palin’s wife for some reason XD It also shows a (near word-for-word) renactment of when John Cleese and Michael Palin famously appeared on Friday Night, Saturday Morning to debate with Malcolm Muggeridge and the Bishop of Southwark in order to defend their film. Though the Pythons themselves apparently dislike this film, I found it to be one of the funniest, enjoyable, saddest, almost endearing things I have ever seen. Why did I find it sad? Well, I’ll tell you. I know I don’t have to, but I feel that I should share it with you all.

In January 2007, a few months before I turned fifteen, the bullying at school got so bad that I got depressed. I was so miserable that I cut myself once with a pair of scissors; I just didn’t see the point of living anymore. But that wasn’t the kind of person I was. But I just didn’t have any energy and I got a lot of headaches. My life back then was horrible. I would go to school, be tormented by everyone, and then in the evenings when no one could get to me, I just felt awful. That was when Monty Python – specifically Life of Brian – came into my life. From then on, my life was never the same again. It was like a switch got flipped and I was happy again, but maybe a bit too happy. I never had a quiet day. I had so much energy that I was bouncing off the walls, screaming the house down. It was to the point where I was in tears every day because I was so depressed about not being married to Mike Palin (I had never felt like that about a man before or since!) But most importantly to me, I joined a Monty Python forum where I constantly chatted with equally obsessed fans from all over the world. I posted my fanfiction there, which was my very attempt at writing comedy. It was terrible, but all my friends loved it and they encouraged me to write more. But sadly, after about a year, the forum became inactive because there were only about four of us there. Now it’s not active at all.

But watching Holy Flying Circus, I guess it made me realise how much of an impact Monty Python really was. Not only did it save my life, make me happy and laugh, give me “the love of my life”, it made me the person I am today. Looking back on it now, though, I was rather strange back then, even by my standards! Seriously, from what I’ve mentioned, you cannot start to imagine how weird I was!

Anyway, I just needed to get that off of my chest. Holy Flying Circus is on BBC iPlayer right now if anyone’s interested.
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to Movie, music, books, theatre etc