Does everybody here hate PE?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Does everybody here hate PE?

Postby Triple-J K » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:06 pm

In my school, they demonstrate how 'supportive' they are of 'special needs' (hate that term) students (which they have two of in my year, three in the entire school) by making them the 'team captains', (even though I've never had the honor). Puh-leaze. WE AREN'T 7 YEARS OLD!!! And today, as always, this kid, Tom, with mild spastic monoplegia (cerebral palsy for one leg) got elected as team captain, and I was chosen last, yadda yadda yadda I'm sure we all know the drill by now, but I was on tom's team. So then, halfway through the game, they change captains, which they've never done before, so I thought Yay, this is my time to be captain (I came to this conclusion as I have never been on Tom's team). It turns out that Tom was overthrown, and, wait for it, drumroll please, it was the actual best player on our team, George Lea!!! YAY!!! The school aren't fulfilling their promises!!!
I honestly cannot believe how BIUS the sports department is. I am severely dyspraxic, and Tom is mildly spastic monoplegic, or however you describe someone with spastic monoplegia, so we are about the same in ability, but he can run faster than me, he can throw better than me, he has better coordination, and you know where this terrible affliction affects him? his left arm, and he's right handed.
JUST BECAUSE HE HAS A LITTLE BRACE ON HIS ARM, HE SHOULD NOT ALWAYS HAVE EVERYTHING THAT I'M MEANT TO HAVE TOO! and also, because they can actually see his disability they are nicer. They let him make tries, even if our team is winning. All the sports department are bowing and kissing his feet at his command, and when I finally finish something one lap behind him, it's always 'come on (insert my name here)' or '(insert my name here), even Tom's beating you!' it makes me feel so awful. Does this happen to anyone else?

Triple-J K (not my real name)
Triple-J K

Re: Does everybody here hate PE?

Postby Bri97 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:01 pm

Yeah tell me about it. Even the teachers get fustrated with me, so when possible I just linger back from the game. PE is def my worst lesson.
Bri97
Power Poster

Postby _robyn_ » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:51 pm

I know exactly what you means. Sometimes it is like "Well if we can't see anything wrong with you- nothing is wrong with you"

When I broke my left arm every teacher was like "Oh I'll photo copy writing for you e.t.c" even though I'm right handed but as soon as my arm was better that all stopped and I still struggle with writing but because they can't see anything wrong so teacher ever offered to help.

I use to hate geography last year but now I love it because my teacher really understands that I'm not writing slowly on purpose and he will move me to the front to see the board better, read out some words and really help me catch up with the class and the work.

Yeh but it does annoy me when just because people can't see anything wrong with you they think nothing is wrong.
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Postby lirael101 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:38 pm

Oh hell yeah!
I hate the way teachers are like, well, if so-and-so can do it, so can you, you're just not trying hard enough.
I'm trying damn hard! You try hitting a rounders ball with a bat when the bat's in the wrong place, the ball's about two feet away from where you think it is, your dominant eye's on the wrong side and you're trying to stay upright through sheer force of will! Not easy.
Be yourself, don't take sh** from anyone, and never let them take you alive.
lirael101

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:14 am

In answer to the question, no, I don't hate P.E. I just hated that, until year 10, I had two friends in the class, and so I didn't always get a partner.
It did help that my friends didn't like P.E.

Triple-J K wrote: when I finally finish something one lap behind him, it's always 'come on (insert my name here)' or '(insert my name here), even Tom's beating you!' it makes me feel so awful. Does this happen to anyone else?

Triple-J K (not my real name)

For P.E, my teachers didn't have that attitude towards me, just to those who didn't try, and they knew I tried. P.E wise, my teachers were o.k.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:35 pm

I was in several different schools as a child. In one school I really enjoyed PE, because the teacher always praised me for trying hard and so long as I was doing my best she didn't mind that I couldn't manage all the activities the others could do. In turn, this made me more confident with trying new things. When we did gymnastics I volunteered to go on the balance beam, even though I didn't have to. The teacher and the assistant put a mat on it to make it wider, and supported me on both sides while I did a forward roll. I didn't feel self-conscious about having the help and I was really glad that I'd had a go.

In other schools it was different. There was one where they just wouldn't believe that I was trying, and it made me very anxious about PE. I was always getting into trouble for being late to the lesson when I physically couldn't manage to dress and undress myself in such a short space of time. If I dropped the rounders bat when trying to hit the ball, I was accused of clowning around, when in reality I struggle to grip things at the best of times and trying to hold the bat whilst swinging it is a bit much for my brain to handle.

My last school was very sporty, and the PE teachers did not care about you unless you were on a school team. More inadequate students were just left to mess around, without much proper teaching. The teachers didn't even know your name if you weren't on a team. In the end I got pulled out of PE so that I could attend the special needs unit for help with my other work, and it wasn't much of a loss.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby nathanw-j » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:31 pm

i like PE, i'm just no good at it :D
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby Robert White » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:10 am

I love PE and sports. I was always the best in high school at sports such as long jump, 1500m and 100m sprint. I was OKAY at primary school but I've seemed to have progressed since then. The only sports I didn't like were ones such as rugby and cricket. I'm now at university and do martial arts, table tennis, squash, running and parkour. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones!
Robert White

Postby sarahbrennan » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:35 am

my pe teacher dose not understand at all. i find it very dificult to do the sports such as basket ball. when we play it i just run up and down the cort after the ball to make it look like i am playing. but if i cant cach the ball when someone passes it to me. so one day the teacher desided that i was lazzy totaly ignoring all the running i was doing and desided that every player on the team had to chach the ball before the team was aloud to score. my team lost because of me as i was unabel to chach it. i am already unpopuler whit the peaple in my class and that realy did not help. and to make maters worst the teacher was calling my name the whole time. shouting for me to run and not stop.
she makes a habbet of calling me and telling me to hurri up in any game in pe and it is realy geting me down. the hardest part is that she dose not understand how hard i am trying and i strongly belive that she has not even looked into what dyspraxia is. there are girls in my class who do not try at all and yet she still looks at me.
sarahbrennan

Postby Steph » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:44 pm

sarahbrennan wrote:my pe teacher dose not understand at all. i find it very dificult to do the sports such as basket ball. when we play it i just run up and down the cort after the ball to make it look like i am playing. but if i cant cach the ball when someone passes it to me. so one day the teacher desided that i was lazzy totaly ignoring all the running i was doing and desided that every player on the team had to chach the ball before the team was aloud to score. my team lost because of me as i was unabel to chach it. i am already unpopuler whit the peaple in my class and that realy did not help. and to make maters worst the teacher was calling my name the whole time. shouting for me to run and not stop.
she makes a habbet of calling me and telling me to hurri up in any game in pe and it is realy geting me down. the hardest part is that she dose not understand how hard i am trying and i strongly belive that she has not even looked into what dyspraxia is. there are girls in my class who do not try at all and yet she still looks at me.

That sounds horrible, Sarah. I would suggest getting your SENCO to have a word with her. I was awful at PE but, like Chocolatefudgecake, my teachers were always OK with me as they knew that I was trying-I think it helped that one of the PE teachers was also the SENCO.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby megscullen97 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:47 pm

At my school we sometimes play bench ball and we have to throw the ball to the bench on the oppisite side if your out (sorry not very good at explaining things) and whenever i'm on the bench i always stay on the bench, i'm always so close to walking out of the lesson because whats the point if nobody wants you on ther team. infact whats the point in P.E?
MEGAN CULLEN
never judge a book by its cover...
megscullen97

Postby nathanw-j » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:02 pm

the point of PE is so teacher can make you feel weak , worthless and to have fun with your friends according to my head of year
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby galexy96 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:04 pm

By the end of this week, I will never have to do PE again because we are allowed to go home for study leave during this lesson as our exams are coming up :D
galexy96
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby safcjcp » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:15 pm

i used to love PE as we mainly played football or softball in softball couldn't hit that far but i hit it a lot as i used to love playing cricket and i was fast. i loved football as i have played it since i was around 5 years old i was fast and could tell where i needed to be so that gave me a advantage i also had good movement but im not very strong so people thought it was easy to play against me and people called me rubbish they also tried to target me to try and go in strong and hurt me but becase i had good movement they couldn't get near me and i loved that i also managed to score every week which was a good feeling i remember one goal i scored we had just started it was the other teams kick off i intercepted a pass within seconds nutmegged someone then cut in and scored i was over the moon with the goal because everyone was laughing the week before as i had missed the easiest chances possible
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." — Frank Zappa
safcjcp
Forum Master

Postby nathanw-j » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:26 am

galexy96 wrote:By the end of this week, I will never have to do PE again because we are allowed to go home for study leave during this lesson as our exams are coming up :D

my study leave isnt for 4 weeks you lucky bugger ( i mean that nicely) :D
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat