Hate being labbeled as 'retarded'

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Hate being labbeled as 'retarded'

Postby Keyboardking » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:06 pm

before you read this please don't see it as a sob story or as an attention seeking thing, anyway I really hate how people see me as the special kid as I am the one who gets to use a laptop in school even the ones who are expected lower exam results see me as a 'retard' even some teachers treat me differently as if I am incapable of doing any work, I don't mind my friends doing it occasionally as i know it is just a bit of fun, but it something bullies can constantly use against you, does this happen to anyone else or is it just me?
Keyboardking

Re: Hate being labbeled as 'retarded'

Postby Wolf Spirit » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:08 pm

I seriously can't stand that word. It really upsets me when people say it, even if they're my friends. Once one of my friends called me one, and I got really really upset. He apologised and has not done it again.
Pinkie Pie is best pony!
Wolf Spirit
Forum Master

Postby Keyboardking » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:20 pm

I do hate being called it by my friends although if I shown them i was upset that would just give them something to use against me only a couple of them say that tho so it isn't too bad
Keyboardking

Postby 07williamsdj » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:08 pm

I absolutely detest that word. I can't stand anyone using it, especially towards me.
07williamsdj

Postby Steph » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:45 pm

I also can't stand that word and most people in my life know better than to use it around me as it sets me off in a rant and puts me in an awful mood. I wasn't called it much at school though-"spastic" was the bullies word of choice for me. That's another word I also hate.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby 07williamsdj » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:03 pm

Yeah, I hate that one too
07williamsdj

Postby vess » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:47 pm

i think you should tell your teachers you want to be treated EXACTLY the same as everyone eles, maybye if you need so help somtimes thats fine but i make sure i always get treated the same. i have dysparaxia . and you also should just be strong, i know how it feels, if your friends call you a retard just make a joke about yourself. dont let them know that you are botherd. just be like 'yeah i know, oh well ! life goes on' or give them a good comback or something. dont start crying infornt of them, it will make you seem weak so they can keep doing it again. STAND UP FOR YOURSLEF FOR LAUGH IT OFF xxxxx :)
vess

Postby Keyboardking » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:55 pm

I do make a comeback but it annoys me inside I have mad a lot of good comebacks
Keyboardking

Postby wadey » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:33 pm

yeah i have had the same problem, the only adivce i have is talk to your parents and get them to talk to the teachers, i find that teachers listen more if it come parents. Hope things improve things
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:06 pm

The problem is if people use "yeah I know!" as a comeback, it makes the person feel as though it's a justified word to use to insult someone with and people with severe learning disabilities (which is who the word "retard" was intended for when it was classified as mental retardation by doctors many years ago) do not deserve to be called that.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Kirbster12 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:40 am

I've never been called that, but I really hate the word. My family and I never use it, as we believe it to be incredibly offensive, not only to the victim of the name-calling, but also to people who actually have learning disabilities
sorry about the rant!..... :)
What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring. ~ Sherlock :)

City Council would like to remind everyone that dogs are not allowed in the dog park. People are not allowed in the dog park...
Kirbster12
Forum Master

Postby carebear15 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:22 pm

I have mild mental retardation but i will say i am very smart too. and Just means it takes me longer to learn things and somethings i will never learn.
I also have mild autism but it doesn't bother me. i am thankful for the person i am.
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby lycanfist » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:30 pm

People often call me a 'retard' as well, but I just ignore it. I mean its just a word right, nothing else
"You are what you dare" - The didact, halo cryptum
I am the worlds biggest Halo, and hunter x hunter fan :D
http://www.youtube.com/lycanfist
http://www.twitter.com/lycanfist
lycanfist
Super Poster

Postby madame_tigre » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:48 pm

I hate that word too. I used to be called that at school but no-one has said to my face for a number of years. I have heard people at work use the word retard and even imitating mentally disabled people putting on an offensive voice stating something along the lines of "Duh, I have downs syndrome. I'm mentally retarded"

Those people disgust and disappoint me.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:37 am

I don't think people should underestimate the power of words and name calling. It might be trivial to some people and fair play to anybody who can trivialise it and not let it bother them but there have been numerous cases where people have committed suicide because of verbal bullying.
Steph
Forum God !

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat