Hate being labbeled as 'retarded'

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Re: Hate being labbeled as 'retarded'

Postby _robyn_ » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:10 am

I have always hated the word retard. When ever my friends said the word I got really annoyed and they never understood why.

The only problem with telling them not to is that if you ever have a fall out they use it against you (which is what a person did once.) Usually if i get called it and it is my friends I just say "Whatever!" but I rarely get called it by friends. If it is not a friend then I will shout at them.
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Postby monkey » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:20 am

I hate that word also.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Liz » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:37 pm

Steph wrote:I don't think people should underestimate the power of words and name calling. It might be trivial to some people and fair play to anybody who can trivialise it and not let it bother them but there have been numerous cases where people have committed suicide because of verbal bullying.

Absolutely .. it actually disgusts me how people (also on the internet, Youtube for instance) frequently use the phrase "you retard, you're retarded ect." to harm and socially stigmatise a person. It seems like they have absolutely no idea of the words they are using.
I've also experienced verbal bullying and what others perceived as "having some fun" has been actually as hurtful as physical violence.
I hope you got a chance to talk to your parents and teachers, Keyboardking!
Liz
Advanced Member

Postby Fryodor » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:45 pm

People just have to be careful.
I think people show just describe thing like pens that broken and stuff but not people it really smarts.
Fryodor

Postby nathanw-j » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:24 pm

Keyboardking wrote:before you read this please don't see it as a sob story or as an attention seeking thing, anyway I really hate how people see me as the special kid as I am the one who gets to use a laptop in school even the ones who are expected lower exam results see me as a 'retard' even some teachers treat me differently as if I am incapable of doing any work, I don't mind my friends doing it occasionally as i know it is just a bit of fun, but it something bullies can constantly use against you, does this happen to anyone else or is it just me?

people think i'm retarded and it is really annoying :(
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby jjk3 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:43 pm

I hate that word and had the same problem but hated it when my friends did it, it felt worse. They never said that I was a 'Retard' but treated me differently
jjk3
Power Poster

Postby tigerwoods631 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:30 pm

I was called this name all the way through primary school and was called it in year 8 since then people don`t call me it
tigerwoods631

Postby Rodge1991 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:40 pm

I've been called it several times-some of the time it wasn't said personally but rather what they said to anyone to offend them. While at work last year i did something wrong, nothing too terrible, something rather minor one of the employees (who has been told of my 'difficulties') turned around and exclaimed "Are you retarded or something?"
Another word people have used against me is Spaz or spastsic, which is just as bad as retarded.
Visit my Dyspraxia Blog:http://www.DyspraxicFantastic.com
ImageImage
NUMQUAM DEFICERE ~ Never Give Up
Rodge1991
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat