3 Exams in one day

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

3 Exams in one day

Postby M's Mum » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:43 pm

Tips please for coping with multiple exams in one day? So much writing is going to be painful, so I'm thinking about ibuprofen between the last 2 exams, but is there anything else that will help?
M's Mum

Re: 3 Exams in one day

Postby Steph » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Ouch-that sounds hellish! Is your son not entitled to use a computer during exams? I thought he was although I may be thinking of somebody else mentioned on here. The other thing I would suggest is that he keeps hydrated with a see through water bottle with the label taken off so he can't be accused of cheating in any way.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby M's Mum » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:14 am

Unfortunately using a computer is even slower than writing by hand! Maths & physics papers, so lots of formulae & equations. The exam board rejected the application to carry one paper overto the next day.

Thanks for the reminder about water! Snickers bars & a good lunch going on the list too.
M's Mum

Postby wadey » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:03 pm

Is he allowed extra time? When are the exams? as maybe try and re-apply to the exam boards, they more you bug them they more chance they will listen, anyway hope he will do well in them
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:14 pm

The thing is unless he is willing to stay overnight with a teacher, the exam is unlikely to be rescheduled as the exam boards like everybody to take the exams under the same specification on the same day as, otherwise, it's open to cheating as there is nothing to stop someone sitting the exam the day after everybody else to ask one of their friends what the questions were (not saying that this boy will do this but some people would). We had a girl at college who sat the Sociology AS Level in 2 sittings as she had 100% extra time as she was blind, deaf and had cerebral palsy so the total exam time was 6 hours. She had to stay overnight in a B and B with someone from the SEN department to ensure that she had no communication with anybody else who took the exam.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby wadey » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:17 pm

Steph wrote:The thing is unless he is willing to stay overnight with a teacher, the exam is unlikely to be rescheduled as the exam boards like everybody to take the exams under the same specification on the same day as, otherwise, it's open to cheating as there is nothing to stop someone sitting the exam the day after everybody else to ask one of their friends what the questions were (not saying that this boy will do this but some people would). We had a girl at college who sat the Sociology AS Level in 2 sittings as she had 100% extra time as she was blind, deaf and had cerebral palsy so the total exam time was 6 hours. She had to stay overnight in a B and B with someone from the SEN department to ensure that she had no communication with anybody else who took the exam.

I forgot that most exams like that, as at college even though we all did the same level and same exam title everyone had different questions (not sure which exam board they used - think it keyskills) which meant people can do it on different days if need to be.
wadey
Site Admin

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips