Who else here is totally intolerant when it comes to noise?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Re: Who else here is totally intolerant when it comes to noise?

Postby allhahaheehee » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:52 pm

I hate when I'm watching the tv and my dad has the radio on in the kitchen and I can't watch the tv
allhahaheehee

Postby jpowls » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:17 am

I loath higher pitch noises and the sound of someone eating. They just go through me and cannot tolerate them at all. When I hear someone chewing gum or eating crisps I literally cannot concentrate until they've stopped.
jpowls

Postby Wolf Spirit » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:38 pm

I am very sensitive when it comes to sound. I can't do homework if the TV is too loud, but for some reason, it has to be on or I can't concentrate. I can listen to music, but it has to be quiet and without lyrics; that means I'm pretty much restricted to Okami and some Wolf's Rain music.
Pinkie Pie is best pony!
Wolf Spirit
Forum Master

Postby Robert White » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:34 pm

ohpandahat wrote:I'm quite an intolerant person in general, but when it comes to noise, I just can't cope with it!

Eg 1: I'm trying to do maths revision and all I can hear is the little brats who are in their garden (which backs onto our garden) screaming! They seriously can't communicate without screaming at the top of their voices! And this isn't just about dyspraxia, I have dyscalcula aswell so I have to concerntrate extremely hard when it comes to maths!

Eg 2: My brother likes to play extremely loud music (often rap!) in his room, with the bass pounding. He especially likes to do this while having his bedroom door open, while he's in the shower. ¬ ¬ My response to this is often screaming and holding my head in my hands. He will often turn it down slightly, but lets face it, teenage brothers are only concerned with what they want!

So I just can't remotely concerntrate / focus, infact, if someone asks me a question in a loud environment, I couldn't give them an answer because it's too much to handle! My brain stops working! I can't do revision if I can hear noises, it's too distracting! I also can't sleep if theres more than minimal noise. Earplugs don't stay in my ears well either.

(I wonder if a small part of this is because i'm lucky enough to have grown up in a quiet area, in a big house so i'm not used to having to deal with noise much. So when there is noise, I don't know how to handle it.)

Does anyone else have similar problems?

I am COMPLETELY intolerant to one noise. If you scratch a waterproof coat I just CANNOT stand it. Also, the noise of chalk on a blackboard... I'm not overly fond of clubs either. Loud music, which is often crap, and me do not mix.
Robert White

Postby sherwood » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:18 pm

Does anyone else here hate nightclubs?
I also hate the sound of people chewing loudly
sherwood
Advanced Member

Postby jpowls » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:30 pm

sherwood wrote:Does anyone else here hate nightclubs?
I also hate the sound of people chewing loudly

Yes to both. Although I don't mind clubs with alternative music. And the advent of smoking areas are brilliant. I don't smoke but love the fact you can escape to somewhere quieter where you can talk!!
jpowls

Postby joeyboy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:47 pm

When I was a young child any loud noise would make me burst into tears, going near roadworks, people in the street shouting, anything basically.

Now obviously at 20 that doesn't happen. I went to the GP about feeling ill when surrounded by loud noise, I mentioned dyspraxia but he also suggested a possible inner ear condition though the name escapes me now. Basically I can't wear headphones at all, even if it isn't that loud the source of the sound being right at my ears makes me feel dizzy and sick, and I'll throw up if they're kept in for a while. Somewhere like a club or festival is even worse, especially because of the bass. It goes right through me and I'll feel ill within minutes, then start to vomit badly if I can't leave the source of the sound.
joeyboy

Postby Liz » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:31 pm

Robert White wrote:I am COMPLETELY intolerant to one noise. If you scratch a waterproof coat I just CANNOT stand it. Also, the noise of chalk on a blackboard... I'm not overly fond of clubs either. Loud music, which is often crap, and me do not mix.

I do so agree on that!
Especially night clubs scare the hell out of me, I find the whole atmosphere (loud music, crowds..) unbearable. That's why I've never tried partying in a nightclub. But I once went to a private party and the noise was even worse because a lot of people were talking at the same time. I guess the so-called "cocktail party effect" doesn't really apply to me...

Does anybody have problems with regards to faint noises?
I have a roommate who usually spends the nights studying which wouldn't be much of a problem if the chair she sits in wouldn't produce a squeak each time she moves. This noise drives me up the wall :evil: and I can't help getting upset about it everytime I hear it. :|
Liz
Advanced Member

Postby HollyFox94 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:35 am

Loud noises I have a problem with: fire alarms, people shouting etc. Can also agree with the people chewing thing it's horrible.
HollyFox94

Postby sarah xxx » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:11 pm

I definataly am very intolerant when it comes to noise, there are no wall clocks in my house because i cant stand the ticking noise of them :P Lol
sarah xxx

Postby Creative » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:13 pm

Sounds just like me.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby _robyn_ » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:49 pm

I hate the sound of unwrapping present. When the tape is being ripped of something (like a box) it makes me cringe. I hate the very though of the sound of a present being unwrapped.
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Postby k9ruby » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:41 pm

Jesus you sound exactly like me! :mrgreen:

The other day I woke up and had to resist the temptation to scream at a flatmate because although volume had been turned down, I could feel the bass on my skin urghh. Vibrations tickle me!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby kat95 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:51 pm

I can't stand small noises like people clucking their tongues or the sound of crackling paper. It is worse mostly when I'm tired, gets on the nerves inside my brain!
kat95
Mega Poster

Postby jemstein123 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:37 pm

Its not that noises are unpleasant its more than irritating but sudden blasts of music when not realizing it, comes abit of a shock. - I'm having problems with the keyboard at the moment, in terms of touch.
jemstein123
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat