Hair pulling

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Hair pulling

Postby speedykid110 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:48 pm

hey guys I'm very new here and don't really know how to use it

the problem is i am 13 and i have started pulling out hair ! I'm scared am i going mad or is it dyspraxia ? i have multiple bald areas i have a lot of friends (not dyspraxic) AND they back me up i just want to know thank you very much for your help :)
speedykid110

Re: Hair pulling

Postby JamesStanley » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:37 pm

Its stress related usually i used to do it in my early teens I found they best way to deal with it is to keep your short so that you are unable to pull it out.
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:53 pm

It's not directly related to dyspraxia but, as James says, this is often caused by stress and dyspraxia can be very stressful to cope with as a teenager. The long name is trichitollomania (probably spelt wrong!) if you want to find out more about strategies to cope with it.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby speedykid110 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:02 pm

thank you very much for your help :D
speedykid110

Postby carolinec » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:21 am

I remember first pulling my hair out when I was about 6 or 7 years old. When I'm under stress, I notice myself doing it a lot more. I can go without doing it for a long time, but at certain times I choose to do it. Trichotillomania is related to OCD and there are ways to deal with it. For example, I often merely stroke the hair on my head when I think about pulling it out, making a conscious effort not to pull. If you can, distract yourself with other things and try to eliminate any unnecessary stress in your life :)
carolinec

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat