is dyspraxia on the autistic spectrum?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Re: is dyspraxia on the autistic spectrum?

Postby _robyn_ » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:45 am

I have always thought I diagnosis would only be needed if the problem is interfering with daily life and help is needed to stop it. So weather it is neseccary to get a diagnosis think all depends on how much this thing interferes with life.

I'm sure nearly every dyspraxic child has a overlap with autisitic tendancies.

I have been reading this book called "Gut and Physcology Syndrome"

Anyway this might explain a bit about why.

So it is a messy diagram showing how all things are related and so it is more rare to find a child with just dyspraxia nothing else, than to find a child with ADHD, dypraxia and autistic tendancies. If any people do have more questions about the whole relation between autism and dyspraxia I suggest reading the book, it explains alot about the overlap and the relation between the things below and weird eating habits.
Attachments
The overlapping picture.gif
The overlapping picture! :D
The overlapping picture.gif (19.28 KiB) Viewed 977 times
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Postby jemstein123 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:54 am

Going to the doctors this morning about my moods, wish me luck :/
jemstein123
Advanced Member

Postby Steph » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:33 am

Good luck, Jemstein. I hope you can get the help you need.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby jemstein123 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks steph, they've directed me to talking therapies in the local area. I have a phone consultation this morning I'm dubious :/
jemstein123
Advanced Member

Postby wadey » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:27 pm

hope all goes well with the therapies
wadey
Site Admin

Postby adamdonaldadam » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:22 pm

Thanks for the advice steph and Jem. I will definitely consider getting it checked out one day.
adamdonaldadam
Power Poster

Postby jemstein123 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:34 am

wadey wrote:hope all goes well with the therapies

Thanks I havn't started but I'm on the waiting list.
jemstein123
Advanced Member

Postby parnassus » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:12 am

There are different opinions on this. The clinical psychologist who assessed and diagnosed me initially believed dyspraxia to be an autistic spectrum disorder in its own right, but many professionals would disagree with her and say that the conditions are separate but likely to be co-morbid. Now I have two diagnoses: dyspraxia and Asperger's Syndrome. According to the Dyspraxia Foundation, the dyspraxia diagnosis shouldn't be given to someone with AS unless the dyspraxia is very severe, as it's taken for granted that almost every person with AS will have some degree of dyspraxia.

I've always taken the opinion that in practical terms it doesn't matter whether dyspraxia is officially on the spectrum or not. There is clearly a huge overlap between the conditions, and the nature of that overlap doesn't bother me too much - what bothers me is that people get the right support for the problems they have. I was given a separate diagnosis of AS at university because I didn't qualify for support with my social and communication skills without it, and I was really struggling to cope. I don't think I should have had to get that diagnosis before I could have more support, as social and communication problems in people with dyspraxia are well-documented. Dyspraxic people are more likely to have these difficulties than not, although of course there are exceptions.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Syrons » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:03 pm

I would say speech side of the things my speech is quite bad, it's not a side I am comfortable with.. I'm a rather silent person, i accept now that could just be my personality, i don't talk but I'm always in in my own world majority of the time. I think it's neurone related why i daydream often... It's who i am know, i don't really label myself anymore, i am just Ian and don't look to my dyspraxia for blaming, i just blame myself. I guess i've become comfortable on that side of things these day's... My mum says i act behind, i guess i do for a 22year old, and im treated by other people like im pretty much useless, i think that's because of my speech because i've notice how they can there talk for me, compare to another person. Again i'm not worrying about it anymore, it would get me but i've accepted that's me, i'm never going to be a win a battle in a convisation, i get confused still quite a lot, and panic a lot when i get like that... Panic attacks are my worse problem, i can panic if things are getting too much, i've recentley had to go back to part time at work, which i'm coping much better now... I guess knowing i get help now, i don't have to put myself in distress. My co ordination is actually probabley better than most dyspraxics, im actually fairly sporty, yet i do have a lot of cycling crashes because of my concenration is poor and i don't see danger, and my awareness is poor. I've agreed with myself that driving a car is simplely not possible or safe. I can drive a car co oridnation wise hand wise, it's the rest concentration, daydreaming, i know im unsafe to myself and too other people. I couldn't live with killing someone because of my naivity. An old person doesn't drive not because there co oridination has gone it's there concenration, my concentration i would say is like an old person too a degree. I don't know what is to blame for dyspraxia and what is things that are just life problems. So i don't really go on about dyspraxia that much, as long as my cloest people know about it, i don't really shout about it too people. Then again, I'm doing this charity thing at the moment, in which i am at the moment. I just wanted to prove that dyspraxia doesn't have to control us, because it did control me if you look at my earliar posts, when i first posted on here, i felt dyspraxia controled me. I've jumped a lot of hurdles, met people with similar problems or worse problems. I still got my body and i can use it to a degree now like any other. My doctor though repeating the fact to my mum, that im not autistic in any way, but if i've been tested for austism, then i must be a boarder austistic otherwise they never put me through a test. Basically i have moments, there dyspraxia moments i call them know. I name all my problems, which are listed as dyspraxia as dyspraxia. It's just more simple for me to explain to someone, insteading i may have this or that, it's not really going to help me anymore in everyday life so. If i say it's my dyspraxia or just having a bad day, then i just go home from work, and get back in the next day.. When i watch also the bbc news program with that kid, he seemed like me as a kid, so im guessing its dyspraxia, talking to himself and looking quite happy in his own world, which i get like even now. :)
Syrons
Mega Poster

Postby Katielauren2001 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:56 pm

Yes it is. Since my last time on the site which must have been atleast a couple of years I have been diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome and this can come with dyspraxia and other conditions.
Dyspraxia is me I would never change that :)
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby nathanw-j » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:54 pm

the diagram confuses me :(
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Previous

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat