voice to text ?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

voice to text ?

Postby liam666 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:41 pm

has anyone used any voice to text software before i personal struggle with wrighting and have a few up and comeing projects which require a lot of it i also have a speech inpedament which makes the software harder to use but after resurch iv found one ill b able to use any input would be cool cheers :D
Do we serve a purpose or purposely serve
liam666
Advanced Member

Re: voice to text ?

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:55 pm

I tried it years ago, and it wasn't very goo. I got it again now when I went to uni, but I haven't used it since my headphones/mic thing stopped working. It was o.k, but needs to be used a lot to get it to work well. which I didn't do.

Not too sure about with speech impediments though.

I think if you're willing to put the time in on it, you should try to use it and see how it goes.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby wadey » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:01 pm

Personally I have never tried them, but I know someone who has and she said it quite good.
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Rodge1991 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:57 pm

I did use one once about 5 years ago, it wasn't that good. I have used one in recent times and the technology has improved greatly and you can train the computer to know your voice-however I am not sure how having a speech impediment will affect it, I do have a slight speech problem and the software does get confused sometimes with what I say. The best way is to give it a go yourself and see what happens, if not then maybe in the next 5 years the technology will move on again and become even better.
Rodge1991
Mega Poster

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:46 pm

I have software that reads text to me that was provided by university.
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby wadey » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:22 pm

MontyDyspraxia wrote:I have software that reads text to me that was provided by university.

How do you find it?

I used to have it at college, but I didn't get on with it so i didn't use it.
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Silverrain4321 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:24 pm

I have Dragon Naturally Speaking which I've found pretty accurate and it only took me about 10 minutes to train it. You do have to speak all the paragraph breaks, full stops, grammer e.t.c. which can make it slower than speaking normally. I'm not sure what it's like with speech impairments but the person who did my DSA training recently said the technology has moved on significantly in the last few years. It's also possible to get it to transcribe from a dictaphone if you're not near a computer. :)
Silverrain4321

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat