Talking

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Talking

Postby lirael101 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:05 pm

Hey :D So, when I was a baby, I had various signs of Dyspraxia - loose joints, slow learning to walk etc - and I couldn't talk. My parents pretty much lost their minds, but once I'd started Makaton, talking came relatively soon after. I didn't really need speech therapy much past 4 or 5, but now I'm older (nearly 16 yay!) I find that people are having trouble understanding me, and i apparently talk really fast. Does anyone have similar issues?
Be yourself, don't take sh** from anyone, and never let them take you alive.
lirael101

Re: Talking

Postby kat95 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:25 pm

Hi I have never had speech therapy although I did like you have typical signs of dyspraxia when i was a baby my primary phrase in speech being 'Wot's that?' but I began to talk properly soon after this phase. However I do talk incredibly fast especially when I am stressed or nervous. Sometimes people do not understand what I am saying, generally because I can not think of the right word or end up rambling :D
kat95
Mega Poster

Postby wadey » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:22 pm

Hi
I was a slow learner and also learnt makaton. I also had speech threapy, when i was younger when people found it really hard to understand me and i often gave up trying to speak. now being 21 people who i dont know find it hard to understand me, and tell me i speak fast, those who i know me really well understand me but also say i speak really fast. I speak faster when im nevorus, excited or think something is funny.
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:58 pm

I didn't speak until I was 3 but, when I did finally talk, it was in full sentences straight away rather than odd words here and there which is how most people start to talk. I had a very nasal voice and a speech impediment meaning every word was pronounced with a D sound at the beginning-this vanished when I had my tonsils and adenoids removed at 4. I had speech therapy when I was younger too. Now most of the time people understand me fine but I get told I speak too loudly.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby nathanw-j » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:56 pm

kat95 wrote:Hi I have never had speech therapy although I did like you have typical signs of dyspraxia when i was a baby my primary phrase in speech being 'Wot's that?' but I began to talk properly soon after this phase. However I do talk incredibly fast especially when I am stressed or nervous. Sometimes people do not understand what I am saying, generally because I can not think of the right word or end up rambling :D

I speak too fast when i get streesed and that makes me get more stressed which makes me speak faster and it goes on & on & on...

not nice
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby Remus » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:50 pm

I started babbling at around 18 months but then I had a severe reaction to the MRI jab and stopped speaking altogether so then I went to a special nursery, a speech unit and had years of speech therapy.

I am much better with speaking now but still they are odd words I cannot pronounce and often, when I get nervous, I will stutter and trip up on my words.
Remus
Site Admin

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat