Information for friends of forum users: READ NOW

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Information for friends of forum users: READ NOW

Postby parnassus » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:55 pm

Recently the friends of one of our DT members have been visiting this forum on a regular basis. This is something that has happened to two or three DT members in the past, and it caused hurt and distrust on every occasion.

I would like to caution people who come here to spy (there is no other word for it) on their friends. This may be a public website, but that does not make spying acceptable. It is still an offence to spy on someone even if you do it in a place as public as the city centre.

On this forum people with a variety of disabilities share their thoughts, feelings, difficulties, and successes with a group of friends who understand. It is a support group, not a side-show. In the past DT has prevented several suicides, stopped many cases of bullying, and helped a large number of students with dyspraxia to pass their exams. It is a very important resource. If your continued visits to this site begin to make your dyspraxic friends so uncomfortable that they don't feel able to share their thoughts on here any more, then you are hurting them more than you realise.

Please remember that this site is for them. Not for you. You do not have the right to dictate everything your friends do. You do not have the right to control their use of this website. You do not have the right to tell them how to behave, no matter how 'abnormal' they seem. On this website, you are the abnormal ones. Welcome to our world. Either respect it, or take the next spaceship out.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

well said vicky!

Postby k9ruby » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:17 pm

Vicky, that is incredibly well said. :wink:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Helen » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:36 pm

A very well made and very important point Vicky. Thank you for raising this issue. If anyone has a problem with this kind of thing and knows the usernames of those responsible, please let us know and we can deactivate their accounts. Many of the forums are visible only to registered users, but I wonder if it may be useful for us to make some of the areas password only. We have tried to avoid locking parts of the site for obvious reasons and wish more than anything that we could have it available to all, without be targeted by spammers, hackers and those who delight in spoiling it for others. However if regular users feel that a password protected area would help, then please let us know.

I second what Vicky says and warn everyone who reads the messages within these foums that while you may be free to read, you are not free to break any individuals confidentiality and the information on this site is not to leave here and is certainly not for mocking or for discussion with outside parties!
Last edited by Helen on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This we know the earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.
Helen
Mega Poster

Postby Katielauren2001 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:21 pm

Yes that was well said Vicky :D
Dyspraxia is me I would never change that :)
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby carebear15 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:13 pm

that is well said, vicky.
I think that is a good idea to have parts of the forum that only can be read by members and password . I like your idea helen.
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Philip » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:40 pm

A very interesting and important topic/thread

This has been well said - thank you for bringing it up Vicky
Philip
Splendiferous Member

Postby evilpanda » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:16 pm

whoot whoot :P well said
wee lukey
evilpanda

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:18 am

It was nice of you to bring that up. I think it is a good idea to encourage friends to visit the site, but they must know how to act and know that some of what we say on here needs to be kept confidential. Thanks for the post, Vicky! :)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Information for friends of forum users: READ NOW

Postby nathanw-j » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:32 pm

what is DT member
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby wadey » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:08 pm

nathanw-h wrote:what is DT member

DT stand for dyspraxic teens
wadey
Site Admin

Postby trembz9393 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:29 pm

I can't believe people actually do that. It's really disgusting to me how someone would go looking on their friend's website (where they may share there most private thoughts), and use it as a way to control or humiliate them. That's just wrong.
Last edited by trembz9393 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trembz9393
Advanced Member

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:51 pm

trembz9393 wrote:The site is called "dyspraxic teens", therefore you should not be a member, unless you are one.

But not everyone on here is. There are a lot of Dyspraxic Adults, and Parents of Dyspraxics on here, who are on here for legitimate reasons.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby trembz9393 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:09 pm

chocolatefudgecake wrote:
trembz9393 wrote:The site is called "dyspraxic teens", therefore you should not be a member, unless you are one.

But not everyone on here is. There are a lot of Dyspraxic Adults, and Parents of Dyspraxics on here, who are on here for legitimate reasons.

I guess I just worded it wrong. Sorry, it just frustrates me on how this site is meant to help those with dyspraxia or those who are affected by it in some other way, and it be abused by people who are trying to use it for illegitimate reasons. I'll fix it.
trembz9393
Advanced Member

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:18 am

trembz9393 wrote:
chocolatefudgecake wrote:

I guess I just worded it wrong. Sorry, it just frustrates me on how this site is meant to help those with dyspraxia or those who are affected by it in some other way, and it be abused by people who are trying to use it for illegitimate reasons. I'll fix it.

That's alright, I just though I would point that out to you. It is upsetting that people would spy on their friends on here.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Elessar » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:41 am

Hard to believe anyone would stoop so low. Actually, no it isn't....

Big :mrgreen: 's on the "YOU are the abnormal ones round here" line though. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

It is a victory for stupidity, over common sense. As a reward, take a short holiday.... Did you enjoy it? Right, back to work!
Elessar

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat